PC Peripherals Convince me to buy a pc. Or Not.

Desecrator said:
Bugger you said you have a budget of 1200USD. :mad:

It doesn't make sense to get the locked Sandy Bridge chips either. Oh well, good luck assembling an AMD system then. Out of the AMD scene for sometime so cannot comment.
Which is why you SHOULD be reading the rest of the thread :mad:
It's down to 650-700 MAX now. The lesser the better (Since I can spend the rest on getting a new frame for my bike finally!)

bugger the AMD thing and gimme PSU choices. Within the budget.

^Corsair HX650/Seasonic X 650 for the PSU. Will last you easily with a high-end GPU. The HX650 retails for 111 USD after MIR. The added bonus here being the 7 year warranty compared to the 5 yr. from Seasonic. And the downside being the Corsair is rated 80+ bronze and the Seasonic is 80+ gold. Not a big downer IMO. The added support is what counts IMO.

Link - Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

No clue regarding the AMD setup. Like I said I am out of touch from the AMD scene.

PS: That Lian Li looks like a proper dabba. Why not get the usual mid/mini towers?

Loved this in white Al - Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-A04A Silver Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

The Seasonic X's are 100% modular. More importantly, its a Seasonic. Always wanted one. It is 20 bucks more than the Corsair though :(

The Lian Li is MEANT to look like a dabba :|. I like that look, unlike the stunted cabinets that mid/mini towers are.

Desecrator said:
^And what does being 100% modular have an advantage exactly apart from the marketing gimmick?
Eh, I would have paid the 20$ extra for the corsair 650 HX (I have the TX) if I had known about the hassle of getting all those extra cables out of the way of my case fans.

whatsinaname said:
Eh, I would have paid the 20$ extra for the corsair 650 HX (I have the TX) if I had known about the hassle of getting all those extra cables out of the way of my case fans.
^Meh! Could you read my post again? :|

I asked what is the point in having a 100% modular psu when it is known that the 24pin ATX & the 8pin EPS cables are always plugged into the mainboard.

For the record, both the power supplies in question are modular, with the Seasonic X being 100% modular. I don't see the point of having a 100% unit.

I'd stick with the seasonic you picked. You can even consider the s12 II 620. Jonny had rated its younger bro as almost the holy grail of budget PSUs the 620 should be no different.

sarang said:
I'd stick with the seasonic you picked. You can even consider the s12 II 620. Jonny had rated its younger bro as almost the holy grail of budget PSUs the 620 should be no different.

They are very efficient too.

Desecrator said:
^And what does being 100% modular have an advantage exactly apart from the marketing gimmick?
What :eek: ?? It's 100% Modular!! What else do you need? :p

whatsinaname said:
Desecrator said:

I asked what is the point in having a 100% modular psu when it is known that the 24pin ATX & the 8pin EPS cables are always plugged into the mainboard.

For the record, both the power supplies in question are modular, with the Seasonic X being 100% modular. I don't see the point of having a 100% unit.

Actually, my confidence in Corsair took a wee hit recently after their recent fiasco where they changed the design of some model in their range from a Seasonic OEM to CWT. Not that CWT is bad.. just that the move wasn't in the best of faith.

sarang said:
Need to read up a bit more on that.

joel.monty said:
They are very efficient too.
That's actually a bit of a given here :

Desecrator said:

That I did not know. (existence of 100% vs non-100% modular power supplies.)
I shall now go into the other room and try to take my foot out of my mouth with a crowbar.
:ashamed:

Desecrator said:
Yes it is a marketing gimmick, Look at my PSU it is 95% modular i.e. only the 20+4 is permanently connected.

whatsinaname said:

I shall now go into the other room and try to take my foot out of my mouth with a crowbar.

Yes they do exist. The Ultra X3 & X4's are very good examples.

OP, now That i have already mentioned Ultra then why not check out the Ultra X3's or X4's

If you are planning to SLi then why not settle for a 900~1000W PSU.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Desecrator said:
^Corsair HX650/Seasonic X 650 for the PSU. Will last you easily with a high-end GPU. The HX650 retails for 111 USD after MIR. The added bonus here being the 7 year warranty compared to the 5 yr. from Seasonic. And the downside being the Corsair is rated 80+ bronze and the Seasonic is 80+ gold. Not a big downer IMO. The added support is what counts IMO.

Link - Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

No clue regarding the AMD setup. Like I said I am out of touch from the AMD scene.

PS: That Lian Li looks like a proper dabba. Why not get the usual mid/mini towers?

Loved this in white Al - Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-A04A Silver Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
Desecrator, That Lian-Li is not a Dabba. It is a very beautiful Cabby. I have the v351 model. I will post some Pics.

@harishgayatri: It is a matter of perspective IMO. I feel that chassis is a dabba. I own a LiLi PC-A71F myself and I know it appeals as a dabba to some of them. To each his own. :)

whatsinaname said:
LOL I was just kidding. :p

Yeah these days manufacturers go to any extent to lure the customer to buy their component. PSU in this case, Seasonic gives a 100% modular unit. IDK what is the point here. That too coming from a tier-1 manufacturer such as Seasonic. Proud owner of a Seasonic M12D 850 watter. :D

It's happening :D

All that waiting from the SB recall seems to have upped my budget a bit.

Ordered
Intel Core i5-2500K : 219.99 - 25.00 (coupon) = 194.99
Seasonic X750 Gold : 159.99 - 30.00 (coupon) = 129.99
Corsair Vengeance 2*4GB 1600MHz : 109.99 - 20.00 (coupon) = 89.99

Contemplating
Galaxy GeForce GTX 570 : 349.99 - 30.00 (coupon) = 319.99 - 40.00 MIR

Waiting for Stocks
Asus P8P67-M Pro
EDIT
So much for that :D

P67 boards came in stock at Newegg as I was typing this post previously.
Ordered the Board + GPU as well :)

Now to wait for the UPS van :D

Gannu said:
Seasonic X750 Gold - :drool2:
Yeah, that thing looks uber slick! I thought the AX were the slickest of 'em all but this one is way ahead. (On the looks front, of course performance is top notch too :D)

Great choice sTALKEr saar!

stalker said:

Ordered

Contemplating

Waiting for Stocks

Asus P8P67-M Pro

EDIT

Oh nice this is perfect balance system, btw so did u order any SSD hard disk or any storage server also which cabient and u need to update FULL HD Monitor for better fps and godlessness resolution ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

stalker said:

Ordered

Contemplating

Waiting for Stocks
Asus P8P67-M Pro
EDIT

Oh nice this is perfect balance system, btw so did u order any SSD hard disk or any storage server also which cabinet and u need to update FULL HD Monitor for better fps and godlessness resolution ;)

^He has an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. :)

@sarang: Seasonic power supplies always have that extra charm and oomph. You should have waited IMO. :p

Arun.P said:
Oh nice this is perfect balance system, btw so did u order any SSD hard disk or any storage server also which cabient and u need to update FULL HD Monitor for better fps and godlessness resolution ;)

I don't have a Full HD monitor :|. Just my Dell 2209WA. My next monitor will be 1200P, but that's a long way ahead.
I'm getting a Lian Li PC V35x. Again, this'll be a couple of months down the line.

Gannu said:
^He has an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. :)

No Vertex2 love for the desktop yet. The Vertex2 stays in my laptop. Waiting for a 128Gig deal for around 150-140 bucks before I get one for my desktop.

Back