Cooler Master Aerogate 3 ALD-V03

Review Submitted by: bottle

Today we look at the last addition to Cooler Masters popular Aerogate series of fan controllers. With the design being based on the Cooler Master’s Cooldrive 6, the Aerogate 3 certainly has a snappy and stylish look to it and fits in any 5½†drive bay. Lets see if it functions as well as its looks seem to suggest.

Features: (From Cooler Masters Web Site)

* Supports 4 fans and monitors all 4 fans speed (RPM) and their components’ temperature simultaneously.
* Temperature alert threshold from 10 to 90 ℃ by every individual channel
* Adjustable alarm sound
* User friendly control panel

Specifications:

* Dimension: 150 x 43 x 65 mm
* Display: LCD
* Temperature: monitor range -> 0℃~90℃ / 32℉~122℉
* Temperature alert: threshold adjustment -> 10℃~90℃ / 50℉~122℉
* Power Input: 12V/ 1.5A +/- 5%; 5V/ 0.5A +/- 5%
* Fan Output: <5V (fan completely stopped) – 12V/ 1.5A
* Material: Aluminum bracket

Continued on Page 2..

[break=First Impressions]

First Impressions:

The Packaging:

The Aerogate 3 comes in a bright purple box with a lot of imagery on it. This sure will attract anyone’s attention on any store shelf but it also is solid enough to provide adequate protection to the product within as well as give some useful statistics about the Aerogate 3 inside.

Inside the Box:

The box contains the Aerogate 3 functional panel along with a brief manual and included set of wires and cables.

Padding:

The Aerogate 3 is built completely from aluminum and the sides are very flimsy. The sides bend easily and Cooler Master have taken the precaution of adding padding inside and around the Aerogate 3 to make sure it reaches the end user in the same shape it was before it left the factory.

[break=The Internals]

PCB and Caps of the Aerogate 3:

Out of the Box:

The Aerogate 3 certainly is a stylish affair and is much sleeker and more rounded when compared to the previous versions the Aerogate I and the Aerogate II. The clean fascia will appeal to many who wouldn’t like the front of their sheathed case to be cluttered up with various knobs and buttons.

From the above picture you can notice the included slots which allow air to enter and keep the PCB of the Aerogate cool.

Included Accessories/Components:

From left to right:

Thermal probe: As well as being a fan controller, the Aerogate 3 offers temperature monitoring and hence includes 4 of the above thermal sensors, which can be affixed to any flat surface

Power Connector: Easy to connect and needs a free Molex connector from your PSU. The Aerogate 3 uses a regular floppy connector so instead of using the provided floppy to Molex power cord you can directly connect the floppy power connector from the PSU if you have one free.

Fan Extension Wire: Since the Aerogate 3 will be installed in a free 5½ bay , not many fans have wires that reach in that far. Hence Cooler Master has provided these fan extension wires which should be enough for most medium to large computer cases.

Installation Screws: Used to mount the Aerogate.

Continued...

[break=Installation..]

A Closer Look and Installation:

A look at the back of the Aerogate 3:

A look at the back of the Aerogate 3 shows that it provides 4 fan connectors as well as 4 temperature monitoring sensors. Only fans with 3 pin connectors are supported by the Aerogate 3. Fans that come nowadays (like 120mm fans) with 4 pin Molex connectors only will have to be modified before they can be used with the Aerogate 3.

The 4 temperature sensors can be used to monitor which ever components of the computer that the user may think needs to be monitor. This typically includes components that heat up easily like the processor, graphics card processor, hard drives etc. In case of hard drives the sensor can be fixed to any flat part by using some good quality thermal tape. In case of processors the sensor should be fixed as close to the die as possible but not on top of it as it will create an air gap between the processor and the heat sink which could cause serious damage.

[break=And shes ready to go!]

The Aerogate III in action:

Once installed in your drive bay the Cooler Master Aerogate III is sure to add class to any pc. It comes with a LCD which is lit with a clear white backlight which is bright and easy to read. But the LCD is clearest when looked at directly and from above, otherwise the text starts to blur. This is a problem faced with most LCD’s.

The Aerogate III comes with 6 buttons which perform various functions.

(Image Courtesy: Cooler Master)

The functions of the display panel can be split up into 3 categories:

* Fan Status Info
* Temperature
* Idle Mode

Fan Status Info:

This allows you to cycle among your 4 fans and respective fan speeds in rpm are displayed on the LCD. You can also lower or increase the voltage being supplied to your case fans. This reduces or increases the speed respectively. The reduction of speed implies less noise from fans and is a boon to your ears!

Temperature Info:

This allows you to cycle among your 4 temperature sensors and displays the temperature reading from each sensor. This is pretty accurate when compared using a regular thermometer. The temperature threshold can also be set for each sensor and when the temperature crosses the threshold the LCD starts blinking and an audible alarm starts to sound. This feature is pretty useful but if you do not wish to be disturbed the alarm can be disabled.

Idle Mode:

When enabled the LCD scrolls a simple marquee which reads “Cooler Master Aerogate 3â€. The interval before which the marquee appears can also be set and ranges from 10 seconds to 10 hours. A feature to customize this message would have been appreciated by many but is sadly not available.

You can click the link below to download a short clip of the Cooler Master Aerogate III in action.
DOWNLOAD VIDEO

Conclusion..

[break=Conclusion]

Conclusion:

All in all the Cooler Master Aerogate 3 is a great product which not only has great looks but is a killer in the performance department. A great tool for those who do not want to mess around making their own LCD functional panel and its clean and smooth lines leave it much more desirable when compared to other products currently available in the market. I have no hesitations in highly recommending the Cooler Master Aerogate 3 to anyone.

The End!

Well...I must say this was a break from the usual software & games & mobile phone reviews!
Thumbs up for a great review, bottle!

BTW, I wonder why bottle himself did not post this review? :huh:

Gr8 review there bottle

And the Aerogate 3 is looking absolutetly beauuuuuuutiful!

Well bottle for how much did you get it and from where.

waiting for the video

Off Topic silly question
how to give reps [guys please dont laugh]

got it overseas when it was on sale for about 1.5k.. price has gone up a bit now though to about 1.8k

to give reps click this icon
reputation.gif
on the top right corner of the persons post

Bottle, gr8 review.. repped ya for same

about the vid, u know i must admit this is the first time i am not downloading something that i usually do from rapidshare

buy all these beautiful products of COOLER MASTER from SMC INTERNATIONAL ,NEHRU PLACE,NEW DELHI-110019,B10/11 MEGHDOOT BUILDING ------Mobile (*(9891349134)

WHOA....Nice Review Bottle :)
thr's aLot of activity goin-on on TE :D , no wonder missing so many threads,

BTW the portal article has gone offline :huh:
nd sme pics r not loading now ;)

Nice Review Bottle :D

Well good news is that these are available *now* in india... But i feel they are a bit expensive both Aerogate II and III are available for Rs 2600 and 2400 respectively but they are cheaper outside the country...

theres a similar thing from sunbeam available here, its got a card reader, 2 usb ports, 1 firewire, line out, mic, 2 fan controllers, a small lcd panel, n 2 sata ports....3.5k

Aerogate 3 is available in Chandigarh for 2150/-. But the older Aerogate 2 looks much better in my imo and cheaper by 100 bucks. But these are nothing compared to the ones available from Aerocool (Not available in India). Wanted to get a Multifunction panel for quite some time now, But not that impressed by the CM ones. Just yesterday, I was thinking why not try and build one myself.

Just go the same as u have mentioned its better then the other models of the cooler master. Aerogate III is really good looking one then others. call any of the dealers at LR. They can show u the actual model and the actual prices. i recomend u to contact "Prime ABGB".

Back