Cooling issues with my Sharp AH-XP18MV

UPDATE: AC Repair Done

Hi Guys, Thanks to all who gave their valuable suggestions. Really appreciate it.

My AC was filled up with gas yesterday and now it is chilling the room. The performance is even better than when it was freshly installed in March 2014. Here is what it took to resolve the cooling issues -

1. The ODU unit was reinstalled
It was shifted from the floor of my balcony to a wall mounted position. I had to buy a huge wall mount stand (INR 1,500) as there was not much space to mount the ODU parallel to the wall. Not the ODU sits perpendicular to the wall like a Cantilever beam. When the ODU was on the floor it faced a wall 1.5 mts ahead of it which was causing the heat to reflect which was tripping the compressor. The technician suggested at least 4ft. of open space ahead of ODU fan.

2. Gas leakages were repaired
The flared nuts which connect the copper pipes to the IDU were loose. The technician showed me how oily and greasy those portions were and then he cleaned them. He opened the nuts and re flared them, this time he applied a TEFLON Taping on the bearings. This was a crucial part because when the AC was installed, the nuts were tight and did not show any leakage. But over time when the gas starts flowing the nuts lossen up a bit which caused the leakage in my case. Now with the tape stuck in the bearings, the gas cannot escape.

3. All the gas was removed from ODU
The compressor was emptied to be filled up again.

4. The system was vacuumed
The vaccum pump was left on for around 30 mins which sucked out all the gas. After turning the pump off, the pressure reading was -30 for around 5 minutes - which confirmed that there were no more leakages.

5. Gas was refilled
The AC was turned on and gas was filled up till the pressure reading was 120 - 130 when in circulation. The technician told me that as per the length (4.5 mts.) and level difference (0.5 mts) between IDU & ODU, the pressure was sufficient and would cool the room effectively.
He also said that filling more gas than this would strain the compressor. (Do not know how true that is!)

6. AC was turned on - Problems Solved!
After leaving the AC on for around 30 minutes when the system got used to the refill. I turned it off and upon restarting it the AC just killed it! It cooled the room very quickly in around 5 - 10 minutes using the roof cooling mode in which the cool air was directed towards the fan which distributed it across the room.

Overall I am happy with the performance of the AC now and will get a check done next month to ensure no more gas leakage.

Let me know if you want any information, I would be happy to help.

Back