Storage Solutions Copy from HD set top box to HDD

john_avi

Disciple
Hi guyz, Just a small question. I have a HD set top box with tata sky hd connection. I have recorded some movies on STB storage. Is it possible to copy movies from Set top box to an external hard disk? If yes then how?

You cannot copy as in copy-paste from that STB to your drive. You will need to capture the video either using a standard tv tuner using the composite video out option or you will have to get some HDMI capture card which will let you capture the High Def stuff over HDMI.

I don't owe a set-top box, but is your back panel something like this:

33tqh6q.jpg

1eq8lx.jpg

TataSky hd box has 2 usb ports and an ethernet port too, but all of these are disabled internally. Also you cant open the security pin torx screws, since the plastic disfigures if you try to unscrew it.

Only way is to re record the shows using tv tuner card.

well, the box was designed so no one would copy anything off it. if you want hd movies in hd format with stereo sound, read post #4 above again.

Well, since no one has done this before, and if you are ready to void your warranty, would suggest to open it up, connect the HDD to your comp, if possible try to use linux as there is a chance that the HDD will be formatted in ext3. If you plan to use windows, use Ext2Fsd Project

Let us know whether its possible, mate!

Even if one manages to open the STB and access the hard drive, the videos are itself stored in an encrypted format.They wont play out of the box.When Tata Sky+ hit the market few years back, some users did try the exact same thing but no success in getting those videos playing.

vivek.krishnan said:
Well, since no one has done this before, and if you are ready to void your warranty, would suggest to open it up, connect the HDD to your comp, if possible try to use linux as there is a chance that the HDD will be formatted in ext3. If you plan to use windows, use Ext2Fsd Project

Let us know whether its possible, mate!
sharmapu said:
I read somewhere that it is possible ...using software like copy+ and extract+...or may be Iam wrong :huh:

Someone in here mentioned that this is possible.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

If you have another PVR, this can be done.

that is a 2 year old thread. The digicomp used there is from Humax, whereas the new ones being sold are by PACE. PACE uses linux and encrypted file system for their stb's. Opening the box itself is a hurdle. You wont find that type of tiny screw driver with a hole inside it in hardware stores here.

Back