Corona virus

Do you have any big private (corporate) hospital nearby? ( Sorry, I do know you live close to Kolkata, but forgot where exactly)
Almost all pharmacies in hospitals are selling N95 masks ( according to my doctor friends in Kolkata)
If you cannot find any, use 2 surgical masks. If you're visiting crowded places, make sure to use a micropore tape to seal the gap over nasal bridge and upper maxillary areas.
Post automatically merged:

40 lakhs!! In India from ethical and legal perspective, no doctor can remove a patient from mechanical ventilation.
Sue those bastards. They deserve to be in jail. I'm a doctor myself and these kind of things make me really angry.
Yes, not everyone can be saved from severe ARDS, but no matter what they did, can't cost that much of money. How many ECMO cycles did he go through? How many days on mechanical ventilation?
They didn't practically remove him but used to switch off the ventilators at night. I suppose their main reason could be shortage of oxygen to perhaps give it to those who had more chance of survival. I was not there physically so won't be able to tell the entire details nor would any of his family members as these things are technical(ECMO) , but will surely ask my dad for how long was he on mech ventilation.
Besides, we would not have known if they were shutting down ventilators. One night his youngest daughter went to icu to give medicine where she realised that it was switched off. On raising this issue, the hospital guys told us openly to take him somewhere else if not satisfied.
After this loss, I don't think family was in any position to pursue matters legally due to both emotional, monetary drain. Besides honest officers were transferred as mentioned in previous post.

They didn't practically remove him but used to switch off the ventilators at night. I suppose their main reason could be shortage of oxygen to perhaps give it to those who had more chance of survival. I was not there physically so won't be able to tell the entire details nor would any of his family members as these things are technical(ECMO) , but will surely ask my dad for how long was he on mech ventilation.
Besides, we would not have known if they were shutting down ventilators. One night his youngest daughter went to icu to give medicine where she realised that it was switched off. On raising this issue, the hospital guys told us openly to take him somewhere else if not satisfied.
After this loss, I don't think family was in any position to pursue matters legally due to both emotional, monetary drain. Besides honest officers were transferred as mentioned in previous post.
Wait, this is not adding up. Was he on mechanical ventilation, or just given oxygen with a mask/nasal cannula? If on a ventilator, how can he breathe unless extubated? He shouldn't be able to breathe if the ventilator is switched off right? @red dragon your inputs please.

How many ECMO cycles did he go through?

Don't think anyone is doing ECMO in India for covid. Can you get the data?

2016 - https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/ECMO-not-a-common-procedure/article16774382.ece
2017 - https://health.economictimes.indiat...-number-of-ecmo-cases-in-north-india/60531023

covid:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any big private (corporate) hospital nearby? ( Sorry, I do know you live close to Kolkata, but forgot where exactly)
Almost all pharmacies in hospitals are selling N95 masks ( according to my doctor friends in Kolkata)
If you cannot find any, use 2 surgical masks. If you're visiting crowded places, make sure to use a micropore tape to seal the gap over nasal bridge and upper maxillary areas.
I am currently living in my parents old house in Uttarpara dude. Those pharmacies selling N95 masks, are they genuine, that's the biggest concern of mine. A few medical shops are selling N95 masks here at 100 apiece as well but I am certain those are fake Lol. I was using two surgical masks like you said before for long time, but they are very loose for me so moved to some wildcraft mask. Now I am looking for a genuine n95 for mum, and I need a small sized mask as whatever I have bought for her comes loose. A few days she went out with masks on but came back with nothing, I am like WTF happened, she said the masks fell off on the road.

Let me know if you have any courier service, I can courier
Lol yeah courier services are available, of course.

Can smoking cause Corona virus
Indirectly, yes. Your lungs are going to remain inflamed if you keep on smoking. And I am sure you know lungs need to be at their fittest to fight corona or whatever. So from one smoker to another (assuming you are one) just avoid smoking altogether till this crap is over. I haven't smoked in over three months.

Last edited:
Wait, this is not adding up. Was he on mechanical ventilation, or just given oxygen with a mask/nasal cannula? If on a ventilator, how can he breathe unless extubated? He shouldn't be able to breathe if the ventilator is switched off right? @red dragon your inputs please.
As I mentioned in post we were not there physically but the family did confirm that throughout the day the patient was on ventilators while at night it was off. If a person cannot breathe when ventilator is off, they would have made some other arrangements, I suppose. Else he would just die.
I seriously have no idea what procedures are followed while treating a covid patient nor the terminologies.

Regarding Julian's query..Yes, an intubated patient can be given oxygen through "T" piece ( provided the patient is having spontaneous respiration with adequate tidal volume and normal respiratory rate)
But in severe ARDS that the unfortunate gentleman had, those are unlikely.
I'm sure at least 2 hospitals in kolkata is doing ECMO.
But I'm still dumbfounded by the hospital bill. Yes, ECMO is expensive, but 40 Lakhs even with 10-15 ECMO cycles is plain and simply ridiculous and it makes my blood boil.

Regarding Saurabh's query about genuine N95 masks, I'm assuming pharmacies inside a hospital usually procure them for their nursing stuff and doctors also.
So, they are probably not selling poor quality masks, as they cannot afford sick nurses and doctors now.
But everything is possible in India.

Regarding Saurabh's query about genuine N95 masks, I'm assuming pharmacies inside a hospital usually procure them for their nursing stuff and doctors also.
So, they are probably not selling poor quality masks, as they cannot afford sick nurses and doctors now.
But everything is possible in India.

Last edited:
^^ What exactly is going on!!?? Are the ventilators in India made of gold?
Hospitals are charging 10-15K on PPE everyday, however I have seen enough photographs of those PPEs, they should cost less than 5 EUR.
What exactly are they charging so much for? ECMO is possibly new in Indian healthcare system, but in Europe/ US it was not that uncommon. Cardiac surgeons/ intensivists were using it for years. Yes, it's a very expensive piece of equipment. Using it properly needs significant amount of training, and the operators should be well compensated ( as it requires very close monitoring) but how much should that be? How much are they charging for the venous tube placements?

Years ago, when a family member was being discharged from the hospital, i noticed that the bill had a 600 rupee charge for the hand sanitizer. i checked the bottle/dispenser by the bed and saw it had MRP 420 printed on the label. i was a little ticked off so i took the whole bottle and when the nurse said that it was hospital property i didn't stop. i just said "you charged for it. it's mine now!" and kept walking.

In my locality something is going on with patients. First they get corona positive,HRCT showing mild pneumonia stay in isolation or hospital for 14+ days and after they resume normal life they again get ill and the blood reports are coming not normal. Also the HRCT score for pneumonia is coming high after 15-30 days, almost double. And corona report is negative 2nd time.

That's not uncommon, this damn virus is damaging the lungs in 2nd to 3rd week.
So if someone is affected, the person should get HRCT done again after 3-4 week to be double sure? Also the treatment like Remdesivir/Favipiravir was taken. What is the next step if still fever persists (99-100 F)
Thanks for your advice :)

Hospitals are charging 10-15K on PPE everyday, however I have seen enough photographs of those PPEs, they should cost less than 5 EUR.
What exactly are they charging so much for? ECMO is possibly new in Indian healthcare system, but in Europe/ US it was not that uncommon. Cardiac surgeons/ intensivists were using it for years. Yes, it's a very expensive piece of equipment. Using it properly needs significant amount of training, and the operators should be well compensated ( as it requires very close monitoring) but how much should that be? How much are they charging for the venous tube placements?
Capitalism in action?
Whichever goods or service has high demand (compared to supply) will fetch a high price.

So if someone is affected, the person should get HRCT done again after 3-4 week to be double sure? Also the treatment like Remdesivir/Favipiravir was taken. What is the next step if still fever persists (99-100 F)
Thanks for your advice :)
I'm not sure of latest guidelines,but I did a check CT for 99 percent of my patients 7 days post discharge.
Anti virals usually don't offer protection from delayed / residual lung injury.
But I am intentionally not following the latest progress/ study reports, there's no way in hell I'm gonna treat another covid patient.

hospitals, pharmacies, pathologists, private clinics etc have been money making rackets from years. this is nothing new. they are here to make money. not give out free treatment. they are padding up their bank accounts to buy new multi crore houses or plots of land and simultaneously lowering doctors and nurses wages in name of pandemic. These are run by businessmen who have no emotions or feelings. i don't understand why your blood boils. you should have got used to this by now being in this field for years. india is slowly going usa's way of putting people in medical debt.

Make hay when the sun shines. Strike the iron when it's hot.

Back