Budget 0-20k CPU complimenting RTX 3060

CarryEZ

Recruit
Currently i have an R7 2700x paired with an rtx 3060, what cpu (AMD) would be a good pick for the gpu, or should i just sell everything and get a 7000 series build.

I suppose you game at 1080p if you're using 3060. Your 2700X won't churn very high fps for higher refresh rates so I guess you can upgrade to 5700X if your budget permits.
Most all 400 series boards will support it and most 300 series will too.

I was in a similar boat with a 1700. In so far I could research, almost any upgrade from the first / second gen Ryzen CPUs will yield noticeable improvements for gaming. If you have faith your motherboard will last for at least 3 more years, hitch a 5th gen ryzen and you are good to go.

Currently i have an R7 2700x paired with an rtx 3060, what cpu (AMD) would be a good pick for the gpu, or should i just sell everything and get a 7000 series build.
really depends on a lot things.
Whats your purpose?

If only gaming then what resolution ?
What mobo and other components you have ?

For instance if you just want 1080p gaming then even 5500 or 5600G will be enough for that with 3060 card.

If you plan to upgrade GPU in near future then its worth considering a new AM5 or intel 13gen setup. otherwise just CPU is enough. BTW, do you feel bottleneck with your current 2700x ?

If you are changing mb - checkout alder lake Intel chips. Even a i3 13100f should be enough for 3060.

I5-12400? I think this should not bottleneck 3060

here's the best case scenario you can follow:

If you're having a B450 motherboard which most likely you have, then decide if you plan on sticking with this config for some years let's say 2-3, you should go with a 5600 which will suit you more than enough without spending so much. You shouldn't overspend on getting a newer platform such as the AM5, instead just upgrade the CPU now and later when your 3060 shows age, upgrade to a newer, more powerful and more efficient GPU since games benefit more from the GPU upgrade.

I'm not recommending a more powerful CPU since we can't be sure if your motherboard VRMs could handle high power CPUs without knowing exactly which motherboard you're having.

Let us know the details of your motherboard so we can help you better.

I agree. Also if you're going ryzen 5600, you probably need to update your bios it you're using a b450 mobo if you're motherboard has bios flashback. If you do not have it, you can buy a b550 mobo and you'll be good to go. Gigabyte ud ds3h b550 mobo should be enough for you to last a couple more years depending on your use-case.

Any current gen cpu ryzen or core i5-i7 will extract some more fps from 3060 as compated to that of 2700x... If your mobo allows better processor then 2700x then go for cpu upgrade or go for current gen mobo cpu combo... Also tell what is use case senario... Just gaming or development / content creation... Think how you utilise extra cores and single thread performence...

Ryzen 7000 has alot of difficulties right now such as long boot times etc etc and u'll have to upgrade ram too. If you are willing to spend money on DDR5 then sure consider AMD 7000 by all means.

Otherwise the 13600K is a good pick, best budget gaming cpu which will work with your existing DDR4 (if you have atleast 3200mhz it will be fine) - it is slightly expensive but much more future proof compared to 5600 and similar stuff.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation where i'm planning to upgrade from R5 1600 to R5 5500/5600/5600x as well as get a RTX 3060. I have an Asrock B450 Steel Legend, I'm aware that upgrading to 5th series on a 400 series board means I'll have to upgrade the BIOS. As far as I remember, 5600 can handle a 3070 as well, so you have some slight headroom with the upgrade. It is possible to push out 1440 60fps with the right game settings with 3060/5600. It also depends on what your usage is like. e.g just a gaming rig or if you do rendering work as well.
So it would be good to give details about what your current motherboard is & how long do you want this upgrade to last plus future expectations plus usage etc.

20k is not going to make up the difference from selling these parts to upgrade to AM5. Honestly this feels like more of an upgrade-for-the-heck-of-it scenario as those parts are fairly well-matched.

If you must, 5600 or 5800X3D. Maybe add some RAM if remotely needed.

Back