OC & Modding CPU Cooler for i7 4790. Edit- Bought Hyper 212x. High temps :(

I had quite a few TR Ultra 120 and TR Ultra 120 Extreme (TRU, TRUE) and had bought Socket 115x mounting kit from for only 500-600/- IIRC to reuse on newer PC and not waste those good performing coolers..
http://www.acousticpc.com/thermalright_1156_bolt_thru_kit.html

The Venomous X bolt-thru kit too was available with Prime at one point of time and that too should work with these coolers, if anyone wants to reuse them.
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/accessories/vx_btk_2.html

If available, 1500+500 is not a bad buy IMHO, just saying. :)

I had quite a few TR Ultra 120 and TR Ultra 120 Extreme (TRU, TRUE) and had bought Socket 115x mounting kit from for only 500-600/- IIRC to reuse on newer PC and not waste those good performing coolers..
http://www.acousticpc.com/thermalright_1156_bolt_thru_kit.html

The Venomous X bolt-thru kit too was available with Prime at one point of time and that too should work with these coolers, if anyone wants to reuse them.
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/accessories/vx_btk_2.html

If available, 1500+500 is not a bad buy IMHO, just saying. :)
Bikey, already ordered man :p And the Hyperx has 4 of those copper pipes for 3k and natively supports the socket. Im a noob and already dreading mounting this cooler >.<
Luckily Youtube has videos :D

@Party Monger
No sweat. Mounting is easy if patient and cautious. If not used to doing so already, do read the included instruction manual once before starting or read on manufacturer site apart from any reviews/videos you would like to check out.

And no matter how much an expert one is, avoid taking CPU out of socket once seated the first time and everything is known to be working fine.
Coz freak accidents have happened even to the best at times.

- Take off stock/old cooler.
- Wipe/clean old TIM cautiously with the CPU in the socket without spilling any into the gaps between the CPU and the socket.
(to achieve this, take soft tissue or lint free cloth and start wiping from the sides of the CPU IHS towards the middle. Use small stroke, Use fresh portion of tissue/cloth for every stroke. Once all goop is off, use a fresh tissue mildly dabbed with Isopropyl Alcohol aka IPA to clean the IHS throughly. IPA bottle can be bought at local medical store and is commonly known as surgical spirit)
- Apply fresh TIM unless preapplied to new cooler base or wanting to use something better.
- Mount new cooler and fasten cautiously.
- Mount fan if taken off while mounting unless prefixed and connect the fan connector to the correct mobo header.

All the best. :)

P.S. I hope i didn't miss anything important in a rush. :p

Last edited:
@Party Monger
No sweat. Mounting is easy if patient and cautious. If not used to doing so already, do read the included instruction manual once before starting or read on manufacturer site apart from any reviews/videos you would like to check out.

And no matter how much an expert one is, avoid taking CPU out of socket once seated the first time and everything is known to be working fine.
Coz freak accidents have happened even to the best at times.

Just take off stock/old cooler, wipe/clean old TIM cautiously with the CPU in the socket without spilling any into the gaps between the CPU and the socket. Apply fresh TIM unless preapplied to new cooler base or wanting to use something better. Mount new cooler and fasten cautiously. Mount fan if taken off while mounting unless prefixed and connect the fan connector to the correct mobo header.
All the best. :)
Thanks for the detailed explanation :)

Any idea where it might be available ?
The socket 115x mounting kits? PrimeABGB used to sell those and had some going dirt cheap during a recent clearance sale- i should have picked up few more for friends. I have given away most air-coolers once I moved to using liquid AiO CPU coolers, especially for Intel-based builds.[DOUBLEPOST=1441903981][/DOUBLEPOST]This is showing in stock too- beast of a cooler before the likes of the Noctua D14 arrived.
Definitely worth considering if fan mount/clips and Socket 115x mount included/available.
http://www.primeabgb.com/thermalright-venomous-x-rev-fanless-aluminum.html

Last edited:
Okay installed the cooler and more Ram. (Sent me a red stick, but it seems kinda cool.)
The temps on the cooler fluctuate highly on the full load on Prime95. They fluctuate between 60-85 :|
This is just 15mins after applying the cooler yesterday along with stock TIM. Should I reseat it?
Any apps to better record the temps?
20150914003041 (1).jpg
20150914003041 (2).jpg
20150914003041.jpg

Whichever app you use, just run only one at a time!
Which thermal compound are you using?

EDIT: just read that you are using a stock TIM, so first change that to something better.
Install top fan for exhaust.
And upto 70 is more than fine on full load.

Last edited:
D
Okay installed the cooler and more Ram. (Sent me a red stick, but it seems kinda cool.)
The temps on the cooler fluctuate highly on the full load on Prime95. They fluctuate between 60-85 :|
This is just 15mins after applying the cooler yesterday along with stock TIM. Should I reseat it?
View attachment 59771 View attachment 59772 View attachment 59773

What mode are you using in Prime95 ?

Are you aware you are not supposed to use P95 for Haswell testing ?

Did you try Speccy from Piriform.
It gave me the most accurate temperature,only to realize that my PC was shutting down due to temperature spikes.

CPUID HWmonitor show bios temp which i presume is not same as CPU's core temperature.
My BIOS would show 34-50C and would shut down.
Speccy.jpg

Changed the thermal paste and now everything works smooth now.

Your air circulation in the case is completely flawed. No matter which cooler or TIM you use, you'd still have pretty high temps. Your cpu cooler is exhausting heat towards the front fan which probably is an intake. In other words, you are pushing the hot air back into the cpu cooler. Switch the cooler fan to the back so that it daisy chains the back case fan exhausting. Also, adding a top fan for exhaust is a must as heat rises. That's more hot air hovering near your cpu cooler.

Your air circulation in the case is completely flawed. No matter which cooler or TIM you use, you'd still have pretty high temps. Your cpu cooler is exhausting heat towards the front fan which probably is an intake. In other words, you are pushing the hot air back into the cpu cooler. Switch the cooler fan to the back so that it daisy chains the back case fan exhausting. Also, adding a top fan for exhaust is a must as heat rises. That's more hot air hovering near your cpu cooler.

I might be wrong but that is how the 212 is to be mounted, it is taking air from the fan passing it through the cooler and passing it to the rear fan to exhaust it out of the case

I might be wrong but that is how the 212 is to be mounted, it is taking air from the fan passing it through the cooler and passing it to the rear fan to exhaust it out of the case
Ahh ok. That makes sense. But I think it would be more optimal if the fan is exhausting heat in the rear as this would create interference with the front intake.

Its daisy chained only. In from front, blows through heatsink, out through back.[DOUBLEPOST=1452253261][/DOUBLEPOST]
D

What mode are you using in Prime95 ?

Are you aware you are not supposed to use P95 for Haswell testing ?
Thanks that seems to be the issue when I googled. Apparently haswell ups the voltage on a certain instruction set (AVX or something) which increases the temps cause of extra heat from extra voltage. Will try others soon! :D

Back