Budget 0-20k CPU+Motherboard upgrade

sid41299

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel G4560
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte B250M-D3H
    • GPU - Zotac 1660 Super
    • RAM - Kingston HyperX 2X8GB 3000MHz
    • Monitor - BenQ GW2280
    • PSU - CoolerMaster MasterWatt550 80+ Bronze
    • Storage - Segate Barracude 500GB
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • All except the CPU and the motherboard
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3-10100F/i5-10400F/R5-3500
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrades for a few years at least, but want to leave scope for better CPU/NVMe/faster RAM
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Visakhapatnam, AP
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Light Editing
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Have used only Gigabyte boards for the last 10 years, so leaning towards them, but will consider other reputable brands as well
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS - Warzone
    • Racing - Forza Horizon 5
    • Open-World/Action - Red Dead Redemption 2
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes, if budget permits
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64-bit
For pure gaming needs, from what I've seen the i3 should be enough, but 6 cores and AMD's platform advantages are enticing. Yes the i5 has hyper-threading, but I'm not sure what chipset/board can take advantage of the i5's boost clocks, and I've heard that better Intel boards are generally more expensive than better AMD boards. Should I stick to the i3 and a H410? How much performance/features am I leaving on the table with that build? Is AMD (and a Ryzen 5 3500) worth the premium over the i3, even without hyper-threading?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you wish to buy used, @rockyo27 has 2700 or 2700x (he has received it from RMA) and you can buy any new B450 Mobo in 6-7k range, that will be more than enough for your use case and easily fits in your budget as well.

If you wish to buy used, @rockyo27 has 2700 or 2700x (he has received it from RMA) and you can buy any new B450 Mobo in 6-7k range, that will be more than enough for your use case and easily fits in your budget as well.
PM me if you want. If you decide to go for this then msi b450m series mobo would suffice for your work including editing. And all b450 series support OC.

For a huge majority of tasks you do on your computer, an SSD will be a great upgrade. If not to replace the whole storage, just a 128 GB not drive may be enough.

Back