CPU/Mobo CPU Overheating and fan TOOOO noisy - Phenom II X4 975 BE

PlayPlus

Disciple
Hello.

I recently purchased a new rig mainly for gaming with the following configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE (965 wasn't available)

Gigabyte 880GM USB 3

GSkill 4GB DDR3 RAM

Zotac GTX560Ti 2GB

Corsair GS600W

CoolerMaster 431 Plus

However, when I play games, the CPU fan runs at extremely high speeds, reaching as high as 6000+ RPM!!!! I checked the CPU temp with SpeedFan and it shows 67 deg Celsius, (which isn't normal and hence the super high speed of the fan). Needless to say, the ultra-noisy fan becomes extremely disturbing and irritating and I quit the game.

However, the peculiar thing is, even if I quit the game, the fan keeps on spinning at high speeds (4000+ RPM), unless I shut down and then re-start the PC.

I searched on some forums and found that overheating CPU is frequently occurring problem with Phenom II X4 CPUs..and people suggest third party CPU coolers, such as CoolerMaster and so on.

There is no chance of dust accumulation as the system is brand new and the Elite 431 Plus cabinet comes with a fan, so I don't understand why the CPU overheats. Also, I have enabled the CoolnQuite through BIOS..

Have I invested in a wrong CPU?
<
Have other owners of Phenom II X4 faced similar issues?? Do I really need to purchase a custom cooler??

Please help me guys. I am not able to game on this system at all...
<

^^ Well it is true high-performance CPU's generate a lot of heat, but it is more of your cabinets fault Sire, primarily the Cooler Master eLite series are not known to have a really good air-flow pattern, that is why most people on this forum recommend the NZXT Gamma over them to improve the situation.

If you do not mind tinkering with your system, you can buy some Thermal Interface Material [TIM] and re-apply it properly on your CPU and seat a new third party Heat Sink Fan on the CPU, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ~ 2400/- REVIEWS http://www.overclock...m_hyper212_evo/ / http://www.overclock...12_evo_review/1 is a cheap and sturdy offering [it can also take over-clocks upto ~4.5 GHz and maintain a good temperature below OR around 60 degrees], if you do not want to purchase a third party cooler, you'll have to invest in some fans and setup a good airflow in you cabinet.

For more on how to apply TIM and how it works, here is a good read --> http://www.bit-tech....all-about-tim/4.

I'm using an AMD Phenom IIx4 965 B.E and have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ cooler and I'm pleased with the setups performance.

Hope this helps, Sire. Cheers!!

On a secondary note where have you purchased this system from?

Thanks for the thorough reply, Alpha17. Really appreciate it.

I am not sure if I am willing to spend more bucks on a custom cooler solution as I already spent quite a lot on this rig (rs 37k, to be precise and this doesnt even include HDD, Monitor, Keyboard-Mouse and DVD Writer etc). However, if nothing works, I guess I won't have other option...because presently, I cant play any game more than 2 mintues due to hyper noisy fan.

Your alternative suggestion of using a good fan setup DOES sound economical. Would you be willing me to tell me how to set cabinet fans optimally and ensure good airflow, or perhaps guide me to an appropriate reading source...that would be really great. I saw CoolerMaster fans today in a shop, would they serve the purpose? Also, will this fan setup really help me reduce the CPU temp, as compared to the custom cooler solution?

To answer your question, I purchased all these componenets from the IT-Wares.com shop in Mumbai. I enquired at primeabgb too, but found a a better deal with the IT-Wares.

^ get fans of higher CFM. The usual fan placement is an intake in the front and an exhaust at the rear of the cabby

^^ Well Sire, I'm no expert and I'll do my best to help you but please wait for other members to pitch in their views [they can wipe out any discrepancies in my methods OR suggest much better alternatives],

Well basically for airflow to improve, here are a few tips -->

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling#Airflow_optimization / http://www.technibble.com/case-cooling-the-physics-of-good-airflow/ / http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259710-28-flow-inside-computer-case.

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQtQnPAWdZI

3) I think the above links will helps, but the basic thing is to --

--> keep the wires well routed [don't leave them dangling OR in the path of fans(where air will flow)], this will helps the airflow to keep going through the cabinet.

--> don't have a lot of fans all around the cabinet, instead place the fans strategically, wherever they make the most impact -- A fan above the I/O port next to the CPU HSF is a must and is good way to drag out the hot air dissipated by the same (CPU). A fan on the side panel [your side-panel will have holes for a 120mm fan], use that to blow air onto your graphics card to cool it further.

--> Also please keep the cabinet in a well ventilated area and not in the stuffy corner of a table.

-->

^ get fans of higher CFM. The usual fan placement is an intake in the front and an exhaust at the rear of the cabby

Higher CFM fans don't really help much, they add noise more than air.

I think OP can be served well with 3 x Cooler Master 120mm LED fans ~ 400/- [apiece] http://www.theitwares.com/cooler-master-r4l2r20ckgp-120mm-blue-case-p-935.html, they are a good trade-off in CFM and aren't too noisy + they jazz up your cabinet too.

#ALPHA17 , its true that higher CFM fans produce more noise, but OP's current proccy is much nosier, so it won't be much audible
<

^^ Unfortunately OP wants to cut that noise, so let him get these fans, which are a bit pricey, but they move a good bit of air and produce a lot less noise compared to Cooler Master's BladeMaster series.

On the off hand I do find AMD stock HSF noisy but effective, which I cannot say for Intel stock HSF which in my opinion is perfect bull$#!(.

Thanks again for the much informative post Alpha17.
<

OK, now I have couple of questions.

1. I doubt if I have mounted the PSU correctly in the cabinet. Look at the following screenshot:

The exhaust (?) fan of the PSU is facing the interior of the cabinet. Is this the correct orientation, or it should be upside down?

2. What is the different between an intake and exhaust fan? Is it true that simply by flipping, an intake fan gets converted to an exhaust fan??

3. CoolerMaster cabinet has a built-in front intake fan. How many exhaust fans would I ideally need to keep the CPU temp in control? I know that at least one is essential (which will sit above the I/O ports and in the same row as CPU). But there are two more fan slots at the top of the cabinet. How many should I use, if at all?

On a side note, I reside at Pune. I went to Mumbai to visit a friend / for the New Years AND to purchase all these components. Not everything is readily available at Pune shops and they order from Mumbai anyways, adding hidden extra charges.
<

^^ Yep your screenshot did a lot of speaking #PlayPlus Sire, I'll answer in your serial order and suggest improvements --

1) Flip the SMPS upside down right away, that way the SMPS will blow out the exhaust heat outside the cabinet, not dump it inside and raise the ambient temperatures, orient the SMPS upside down. I think the eLite 431 comes with the option of a downward exhaust for the SMPS [if no this is a real Devil's bargain you walked into].

2) Ye if you flip a fan, you change whether the fan pulls air OR throws air. Generally all fans come with an orientation on the panel [two arrows one indicating the spin and the other the direction of airflow], stamped on the frame itself. So check it and place fans.

3) Good, add two more fans then -- one as you said above the I/O panel [parallel to the CPU] and one on the top but not exactly over the CPU, you can place it on the one which is forward [out of the two on top].

4) please manage your cables, frankly speaking they are a mess. Here is a good guide on how you can reduce this clutter, which disturbs the airflow and reduces the efficiency of air going through them --> http://www.techwarelabs.com/guides/misc_mod/cablemanagement/

Hello.

I recently purchased a new rig mainly for gaming with the following configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE (965 wasn't available)

Gigabyte 880GM USB 3

GSkill 4GB DDR3 RAM

Zotac GTX560Ti 2GB

Corsair GS600W

CoolerMaster 431 Plus

However, when I play games, the CPU fan runs at extremely high speeds, reaching as high as 6000+ RPM!!!! I checked the CPU temp with SpeedFan and it shows 67 deg Celsius, (which isn't normal and hence the super high speed of the fan). Needless to say, the ultra-noisy fan becomes extremely disturbing and irritating and I quit the game.

However, the peculiar thing is, even if I quit the game, the fan keeps on spinning at high speeds (4000+ RPM), unless I shut down and then re-start the PC.

I searched on some forums and found that overheating CPU is frequently occurring problem with Phenom II X4 CPUs..and people suggest third party CPU coolers, such as CoolerMaster and so on.

There is no chance of dust accumulation as the system is brand new and the Elite 431 Plus cabinet comes with a fan, so I don't understand why the CPU overheats. Also, I have enabled the CoolnQuite through BIOS..

Have I invested in a wrong CPU?
<
Have other owners of Phenom II X4 faced similar issues?? Do I really need to purchase a custom cooler??

Please help me guys. I am not able to game on this system at all...
<

this has been discussed many times in this forum and also on the net, please do a search,

your best bet is to change the cooler there is no other go,

i have faced similar problem on my phenom x6, it will go to 6000 rpm and wont go down below 4000, i was doubting it was due to MB problem

surprisingly if I use it an AC room the stock cooler never goes into AIRPLANE mode and it is whisper quiet,

dont waste your money on cabinet, fans etc, i am using a cooler master HAF 932 still the problem persists

Better invest in a entry level CPU cooler like CM Hyper 212+ or CM Hyper N520. I have a Phenom II 965BE and found the stock cooler to be inadequate and noisy. One exhaust fan above the I/O ports and one intake fan in the front is enough if you upgrade the cpu cooler. With a Hyper 212 my 965BE idles at 37 degrees (31 degree ambient) and 52 degrees on OCCT. I have only 1 intake fan and one exhaust fan. One more thing to check is your CPU voltage, you can safely undervolt it quite a bit. By default many motherboards give it too much juice, it will be happy with just 1.28 volts, might go even lower.

this has been discussed many times in this forum and also on the net, please do a search,

your best bet is to change the cooler there is no other go,

i have faced similar problem on my phenom x6, it will go to 6000 rpm and wont go down below 4000, i was doubting it was due to MB problem

surprisingly if I use it an AC room the stock cooler never goes into AIRPLANE mode and it is whisper quiet,

dont waste your money on cabinet, fans etc, i am using a cooler master HAF 932 still the problem persists

Be sensible Sire, what do you mean, changing the CPU-cooler is the only option here, you have a HAF 932 and you still face problems, that is just your bad luck OR have you done some cable routing and still the problem persists?

My friend with a NZXT M59 [a slightly buffed up NZXT Gamma], used to run his Phenom IIx4 965 on stock HSF at 33 degrees -- idle and 42 degrees -- load + Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 -- http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3263#ov + Sapphire HD 5850.

He upgraded to a Hyper 212+ because of the noise factor not because his CPU wasn't running cool [in fact most AMD users don't have overheating CPU's just noise issues].

These are my views and hold well in my circumstances, no AC was available in college hostel and still the CPU ran pretty decent. No flaming or fights over this.

Better invest in a entry level CPU cooler like CM Hyper 212+ or CM Hyper N520.

Both these models have been superseded with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ~ 2400/- http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo/ / http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/coolermaster_hyper_212_evo_review/1.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

My friend with a NZXT M59 [a slightly buffed up NZXT Gamma], used to run his Phenom IIx4 965 on stock HSF at 33 degrees -- idle and 42 degrees -- load + Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 -- http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3263#ov + Sapphire HD 5850.

He upgraded to a Hyper 212+ because of the noise factor not because his CPU wasn't running cool [in fact most AMD users don't have overheating CPU's just noise issues].

I doubt your claim of running Phenom II X4 965 on stock HSF @ 33 degree -- idle and 42 degree -- load. Please see the link below and go through the "Cooling Results"

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1051-page6.html

Please note the AM3 CPU tested is a 95W one, whereas the 965BE is a 125W CPU.

No flames or fights, just facts.

^^ Okay facts are right, I was in Bangalore [currently in Delhi], I'll try to get my friend to send me screenshots from his current Hyper 212+ set-up to get things on level, there was no AC OR environment control factors introduced as we were living in a hostel. Cheers!!

On the board, the M59 was chock full of fans, all the available brackets and fan-holders were used, 3 x 120mm Cooler Master SickleFlow fans [push-out] and 2 x 120mm NZXT fans [pulling in air from front and side].

Lets see if things were as I imagined OR worse.

^^ Yep your screenshot did a lot of speaking #PlayPlus Sire, I'll answer in your serial order and suggest improvements --

1) Flip the SMPS upside down right away, that way the SMPS will blow out the exhaust heat outside the cabinet, not dump it inside and raise the ambient temperatures, orient the SMPS upside down. I think the eLite 431 comes with the option of a downward exhaust for the SMPS [if no this is a real Devil's bargain you walked into].

Problem is, the SMPS is fit too tight to the cabinet as of now and isn't getiing un-screwed easily. So may be I will have to take someone'e help, someone having adequate tools. I will do this in the coming days..

2) Ye if you flip a fan, you change whether the fan pulls air OR throws air. Generally all fans come with an orientation on the panel [two arrows one indicating the spin and the other the direction of airflow], stamped on the frame itself. So check it and place fans.

The Blue LED-lit fans you suggested above aren't available here. However, the ones WIHTOUT the LED are. Two CoolerMaster 120mm fans cost rs200, so I guess I will purchase those for now.

3) Good, add two more fans then -- one as you said above the I/O panel [parallel to the CPU] and one on the top but not exactly over the CPU, you can place it on the one which is forward [out of the two on top].

Since I have only ONE intake fan (at the front), will installing TWO exhaust fans not creat air pressure difference inside the cabinet? This was discussed in the video you earlier posted.

4) please manage your cables, frankly speaking they are a mess. Here is a good guide on how you can reduce this clutter, which disturbs the airflow and reduces the efficiency of air going through them --> http://www.techwarel...ablemanagement/

Thanks for this!
<

It is, and so was stated in my original post.

Don't have AC here, but since two days the temp has dropped quite a bit and surprise, the fan isn't making THAT much of noise now. The RPM still reaches 4000+, but its not a whirring buzz like earlier. However, I doubt this is permanent and sweat at the thought of what will happen in the Summers...

[quote name='cyber_cat' timestamp='1326613901' post='1687192]i am using a cooler master HAF 932 still the problem persists

[/quote]

Not good to hear.
<
Makes me wonder if I made a wrong choice investing in AMD CPU...

ALPHA17' timestamp='1326624447' post='1687285 said:
Both these models have been superseded with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ~ 2400/- http://www.overclock...m_hyper212_evo/ / http://www.overclock...12_evo_review/1.

I am not able to find the EVO version here. The one I saw was 212+ (or even plain 212, not sure). Will it make any significant difference if I go for non-EVO version??

joel.monty said:
Remount the cooler if ,that does not work try to control the fan speed.

Re-mounted the cooler earlier...didn't make any difference. AMD OverDrive has Fan speed control, I think. However, I find it risky to lower the fan speeds manually. Since CoolnQuite is active, the fan is running super-fast simply to cool down the over-heated CPU. So the root solution seems to maintain the CPU at lower temperatures.

^^ Try to get the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ minimum Sire, the Hyper 212 cannot handle todays CPU's.

Hope this helped. Cheers!!

hyper 212 is not available anymore.. only 212+ is available.. but first reapply thermal material and re-seat heatsink. after that try these

Mate i can understand the issue.

I too had the same issue with my new AMD PC.

This is what i have dont to solve the issue.

A small Bios Tweak - Goto Bios change the FAN Mode from auto to PWM

This will solve the sound issue.

Now there is no F1 racing at my house.

Also dont invest in fan instead go for Hyper 212 EVO which willl greatly reduce buzzing sound as well as temps.

Hope it helped you.

Back