CPU Suggestion (<20K)+ GFX (maybe)

avvs_2099

Disciple
1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 20K or less

2. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU (Intel preferable as it has service centre in Delhi, AMD doesn't I think. If AMD also has repair centre in Delhi, then AMD is my choice)

2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard (with PCI 2.0 slot fr GFX card and front USB and speaker ports)

3. GPU - Thinking of Zotax 9800GT (around 5k na?)

4. Cabinet/SMPS - Zebronics Bijli or CM Elite 310 (need help with SMPS)

5. RAM - 2 + 1 GB Ram (Kingston 800MHz DDR II)...Is DDR III RAM very expensive

6. Hard Disk - 1TB (5 year warranty, but can downgrade to 500GB)

7. DVD Writer - Sony I will take

3. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Delhi (Nehru Place)

4. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Browsing

2. Desktop Processing (maybe photoshop)

3. 4-8 hours daily operation

4. Watching HD movies

5. Few games

5. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. Intel (because I heard that service centre is in Delhi). Though I am an AMD fanboy.

2. Nvidia (fanboy!)

6. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Mostly old games like AOE II, NFS MW, UT2K4 but Starcraft II is a possibility and CnC:TWars (I have).

7. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1280x1024

2. Desktop - 1280x1024

I have a 4:3 19 Inch LCD.

8. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows XP 32 Bit

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 ~3k. Alternatively, go for the Athlon II X3 425 2.7GHz @ 3.65k (Thanks comp@ddict)
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA785GMT USB3 ~5.8k
RAM: Corsair/G.skill 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 ~3k
GPU: HD 5670 ~5k (If you want something cooler/quiter/with more OC headroom:-
Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 Artic Accelero @ 5.5k (Thanks comp@ddict)

HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB ~2.4k (Thanks DarkAngel)
Cabinet: NZXT Gamma ~2k
PSU: FSP Saga 350W ~1.5k
Optical Drive: Sony/LG/Samsung ~1k

Total: ~23k approx. (~27k with all the better/more expensive choices)

If you don't intend to game much, you can do w/o a separate GPU as the onboard HD 4200 will be enough for most needs.
You can also save 1-2k going for a cheaper motherboard, but I do not recommend that.
EDIT: As per comp@ddict's suggestion the x3 makes a great choice if you want some extra multi-core performance. It doesn't cost as much more, so definitely consider it.
Good luck. :)

@Amien or any other helpful person...
I am ok with AMD GFX card but I have noticed faded out graphics from ATI/AMD cards in games supported by Nvidia such as Doom 3, Quake 4...Could you please tell me if the 9800GT can be an alternative and if the motherboard you mentioned can support the 9800GT. That card is for around 5K right?

P.S: I will be playing Q3A a lot...and very few latest games. My PS3 will help me with the latest games:eek:hyeah:

avvs_2099 said:
@Amien or any other helpful person...
I am ok with AMD GFX card but I have noticed faded out graphics from ATI/AMD cards in games supported by Nvidia such as Doom 3, Quake 4...Could you please tell me if the 9800GT can be an alternative and if the motherboard you mentioned can support the 9800GT. That card is for around 5K right?

P.S: I will be playing Q3A a lot...and very few latest games. My PS3 will help me with the latest games:eek:hyeah:

AFAIK there are no such issues with the ATI cards if you use proper drivers(they have improved considerably). Image/colour quality, on the other hand generally tends to be better on ATI cards as compared to Nvidia's. Just as some games will run slightly better on NV cards, the same applies to ATI as well.
The 9800GT consumes a lot more power than the HD 5670, which will warrant a better/more expensive PSU to run reliably, pushing the cost of the system even higher for not much gain. The HD 5670 is a newer 40nm fabricated part that supports DirectX 11, which the 9800GT does not. Either way, at 1280x1024 it offers no performance benefit either.
Don't be a fanboy and make a good, informed decision. :)
Give this a read:-
http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/notice-all-those-who-need-help-138633.html
Good luck with your purchases. ^^

Amien said:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 ~3k
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA785GMT USB3 ~5.8k
RAM: Corsair/G.skill 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 ~3k
GPU: HD 5670 ~5k
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB ~3.4k
Cabinet: NZXT Gamma ~2k
PSU: FSP Saga 350W ~1.5k
Optical Drive: Sony/LG/Samsung ~1k

Total: ~23k approx.

Guess it is a typo. 500GB HDD from Seagate and WD retails for 2.3-2.4k.

@avvs_2099
As Amien says the HD5670 fits ur needs perfectly. Go for it :)

Amien said:
Don't be a fanboy and make a good, informed decision. :)
Haha, good one! I will try not to be a fanboy.

@DarkAngel thanks for correcting the typo.
Repped you both.

One more silly question: (since I don't know much about stand alone SMPS's) - 350 W supply is enough for HD5670 ?

Yup. 350w should do fine. The HD5670 doesn't even need a PCI-E power connector. Max. power consumption ~70-75w. So your total rig power consumption even under load would be ~180w.

But budget permitting go for a FSP SAGAII 400w~2k/Gigabyte Superb 460 ~2.2k as you will get few extra connectors in case you need to add a few more HDD's or upgrade the GPU.

2. Desktop Processing (maybe photoshop)

Athlon II X3 425 2.7GHz @ 3.65k

Biostar TA785G3 @ 3.65k

2GB DDR3 1333MHz Transcend @ 2.75k

CM ELite 310 @ 1.5k

Gigabyte 460W @ 2.2k

Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 Artic Accelero @ 5.5k (Normal model @ 5.1k)

DarkAngel said:
Guess it is a typo. 500GB HDD from Seagate and WD retails for 2.3-2.4k.

@avvs_2099
As Amien says the HD5670 fits ur needs perfectly. Go for it :)

Thanks, corrected/edited first post. ^^

@comp@ddict
You can also save 1-2k going for a cheaper motherboard, but I do not recommend that.
Would not recommend sacrificing a higher quality mobo. with more features for a "maybe" usage scenario. The x3 is a great alternative otherwise, edited first post and added it. Ditto for the AC Accelero version. Cheers!

@avvs_2099
Thank you kind sir. :)
And yes, the 350W is enough due to the ultra low power consuming HD 5670. Consider the superb if budget allows.

Seriously, I didn't expect so many good suggestions for a <20K budget rig. But if its Techenclave I should expect it. Thanks guys and I will probably stick with a early May deadline for the rig. Will update then about what I got.

But I will get that Gigabyte MBO. It just seems good.
AMD X2 or X3...probably cheaper one only since it uses less power also.
GFX Card- maybe , maybe not, but mood to hai...because haven't yet played UT2K4 in 1280x1024..16X AF...8XAA !!!:)
Cabinet - CM Elite most probably.
PSU - 350 W mostly.

Thanks guys and keep it up.:hap2:

HEY GUYS....Need Help again!
As is usual the upgrade didn't take place. Now the old PC has gone kaput and this is the build which I have agreed upon based on what was told to me earlier. Please have a look at it and let me know any possible changes or recommendations. Thanks a Lot!

AMD Athlon X3 440
Gigabyte MA785GMT USB3 (has IGP)
2X2 GB DDR III 1333MHZ
AMD HD 5670 512 MB (optional)
SEAGATE 500 GB
COOLER MASTER ELITE 310
GIGABYTE SUPERB 460 WATT (need for future GPU/hard disk upgrade)
SONY DVD WRITER

The budget of the above build should come to around Rs 19,000 without the GPU. Need to upgrade in a few days.

AMD Athlon X3 440 ~ 3.5k

MSI 880GMA-E45 ~ 5.3k (has HD4250 IGP, USB 3.0 and Sata 6Gbps ports. The board is also all solid caps)

2 x GSkill F3-10600CL9S-2GBNT DDR III 1333MHZ GSkill ~ 2.85k

SEAGATE 1TB 7200.12 ~ 2.8k (Why 500GB when 1TB fits in ur budget)

COOLER MASTER ELITE 310 ~ 1.6k

FSP SAGAII 400w ~ 1.85k/GIGABYTE SUPERB 460 ~ 2k (Gigabyte uses the FSP 400w OEM. But it has 3 yrs warranty compared to FSP SAGAII's 2 yrs)

SONY DVD WRITER ~ 0.95k

Total: 19k

Hi,
@Darkangel - Thanks a lot.
Confirmed with my PC guy and almost all parts he can get.
One issue though - The Gigabyte PSU or FSP one is unavailable in Nehru Place, Delhi according to him, and I cannot find out myself as I am in a different city.
My PC guy then said a 400W / Rs 2000 PSU is available of a company called Xigmatek. Shall I then go for this one? (Its a bit urgent)

Hmmm...I don't know. PC guy also doesn't know. Just 400w pata hai usko! Anyways...it will be decent enough for a future HD 5670 upgrade, I am supposing! Thanks, DA...iss baar to pakka upgrade hoga...PC is conked off as it is.

Ur Welcome

Do let us know about ur final build as most of the members do not reply after getting suggestion or solution of a problem.

By share final result it generally helpful to help other members.

Final Build

CPU - AMD X3 440 3GHz (Triple Core)
Motherboard - MSI 880GMA E-45
RAM - 2X2GB Kingston 1333MHz DDRIII
GPU - IGP (HD4250)
Cabinet - Cooler Master Elite 310
Hard Disk - 500 GB Seagate
Sony DVD Writer
SMPS - FSP 500 Watts !!! (I know, apparently PC Guy brought this one only)

Cost - Rs. 19K Approx

Thank you everyone for your help! Cheers!

Back