CPU/Mobo CPU Temps too high?

Solid_Snake

Disciple
I recently assemebled a new Rig consisting of a Intel DH67BL, a i5 2400, 4GB Ram and a Corsair 400R cabinet.

The temps on idle when i just surfing the web or watching a movie is in the low 40's (which i think is ok).

But when i boot up Battlefield 3, the temps shoot up to the high 60s (somewhere around 65-68)

I reseated the heat sink and also added a two fans to suck the warm air outta the cabby, but its still the same.

Im kinda worried, should i reapply some thermal paste and reseat the heat sink or what??

dont want this new rig to die out

Another victim of the stock Intel HSF, okay now lets do this --

First, reseat the HSF by opening the cabinet and extracting it from the processor.

After this clean the processor [with surgical spirits, alcohol, after shave], reapply a fresh layer of TIM [Thermal Interface Material], if you are unsure how to proceed here, read this --> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/02/16/all-about-tim/1 / http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_cpu_and_apply_thermal_paste / http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressure-heatsink,3058-9.html.

Also use a third party TIM, the likes of --

Tuniq TX-2 ~300/- [non electrically conductive, needs no curing time]

Arctic Silver 5 ~550/- [electrically conductive, has ~200 Hrs curing time]

Cooler Master HTK 002 ~150/- [non electrically conductive, no curing time]

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

@@solid_snake: I've heard from many members that he supplied hsf is simply not up to the mark and is simply what is shipped with the dual core i3's.heck its not even copper at the circular base
<

The quad core is bound to get more hot. May be they should take a lession from amd who bundle a decent(but noisy
<
) cooler which has a copper base with copper heat pipes to boot

Maybe in some time you should look forward to the some of the nice third party cpu coolers.Over the years they have bceome more vfm and the range will start at a lowly 1.3k which tho not top of the line, but will whack your stock hsf when it comes to cooling
<

Do try as suggested by other members.

Apart from these do try the following:

Wrt to cabby , see if improper cable management is causing any issues.

Check the direction of fan's air flow ie proper intake and exhaust .

And lastly if your room's ambient temp is high then there is not much to do.

@@solid_snake: I've heard from many members that he supplied hsf is simply not up to the mark and is simply what is shipped with the dual core i3's.heck its not even copper at the circular base
<

The quad core is bound to get more hot. May be they should take a lession from amd who bundle a decent(but noisy
<
) cooler which has a copper base with copper heat pipes to boot

Maybe in some time you should look forward to the some of the nice third party cpu coolers.Over the years they have bceome more vfm and the range will start at a lowly 1.3k which tho not top of the line, but will whack your stock hsf when it comes to cooling
<

Do try as suggested by other members.

Apart from these do try the following:

Wrt to cabby , see if improper cable management is causing any issues.

Check the direction of fan's air flow ie proper intake and exhaust .

And lastly if your room's ambient temp is high then there is not much to do.

i can get a third party cpu cooler, something around the 1.5k mark. as well as TIM. called itwares, they only have artic silver 5 nothing else.

Cables are clear of the CPU area. as for the fans. i got two in the front of the case to pull cool air in and two on the side to pull the hot air out.

Anyone know where i can get the tuniq-TX2 TIM ASAP. i cant visit lammy as my work schedule leaves me no time to do so.

Make sure the cpu fan is spinning properly according to temp.I have the same mobo and the fan does not speed up properly.I use speedfan to manually adjust th speeds.

i can get a third party cpu cooler, something around the 1.5k mark. as well as TIM. called itwares, they only have artic silver 5 nothing else.

Cables are clear of the CPU area. as for the fans. i got two in the front of the case to pull cool air in and two on the side to pull the hot air out.

Anyone know where i can get the tuniq-TX2 TIM ASAP. i cant visit lammy as my work schedule leaves me no time to do so.

Well you can consider the following shootout to find a viable alternative to the tx2 in case u r having issues sourcing it:

http://www.hardwares...nuary-2012/1468

Regarding the airflow, i keep the rear and upper fans as exhaust, the side fan(the one near the cpu) as intake .

This ensures the cpu always gets fresh air from the outside. In the past also, you would have seen some cabbies with a snort/chimney on the side panel. Logic was same. Infact that snort aided the cabbies to get a TAC or [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thermally Advantaged Chassis designation from intel.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Here Read more.[/font]

http://en.wikipedia....antaged_Chassis

dude.. if you ask me, temps. of 65 to 68 are absolutely fine.. no problem at all...trust me. theres no point spending extra money for any better cooling solution.. the stock fan is fine if it keeps the temps. below 80 at any time.. when i do 3D renderings, my amd proccy shoots up to 100 C and yet theres no prob. in my laptop for the past 2 yrs now.. 65 C is not too hot at all.. in my city during summers, we live in temps. that go to a record 50 to 52 C. 65 is just like another 10 degrees.. no big deal.

if you keep asking, you are gonna get a lot of suggestions of what to spend your money on, coz theres just too many options available.. but theres no point spending more money as 70 to 80 degrees is not gonna make any difference to your processor.. it will run absolutely fine .. and then yours is running at not more than 70 degrees..as long as theres no risk to your processor or any other component, what difference does it make to you whether it runs at 65 to 68 or maybe a couple of ten degrees lower..???

this is confusing, on one side, a few member say reapply TIM and get a third party cooler. while u say its quite ok.

man what do i do???
<

Make sure the cpu fan is spinning properly according to temp.I have the same mobo and the fan does not speed up properly.I use speedfan to manually adjust th speeds.

can you tell me how to do that?

Even though intel says 90c is also safe but we need to be safe from our sides as our climate isnt constant here like in the west. So as far as possible the lower the better. Still if you have benchmark your machine and if it isnt crossing 70-72c on 100% loads then too its pretty much safe. Still try to bring it below or upto 65c on loads.

One common fact-- when we buy/assemble new systems, we now always have got the HABIT of eying our temps no mater what. Instead of enjoying the rig we make temps issue a bit big!!
<

I was in your situation before and i did what not to think off but then left it all and now my temps have automatically settled between 30-45c
<

this is confusing, on one side, a few member say reapply TIM and get a third party cooler. while u say its quite ok.

man what do i do???

can you tell me how to do that?

It could be the case that your graphics card is getting pretty hot while gaming and this heat is finding no escape.

This maybe leading to an increase in the overall ambient temperature in your cabinet which inturn causes an increase in the temp of all the components including the processor whose temp you often see.

Which graphics card are you using ?

Which company's fans are you using in your cabinet other than stock ?

Did you monitor your GPU & Chipset's temps as you did for your CPU ?

Please answer these to help you better.
<

It could be the case that your graphics card is getting pretty hot while gaming and this heat is finding no escape.

This maybe leading to an increase in the overall ambient temperature in your cabinet which inturn causes an increase in the temp of all the components including the processor whose temp you often see.

Which graphics card are you using ?

Which company's fans are you using in your cabinet other than stock ?

Did you monitor your GPU & Chipset's temps as you did for your CPU ?

Please answer these to help you better.
<

Im using a 9800GT...it stays at 55-58 under full load (BF3 and Skyrim)

Using two NZXT cabby fans that came in my last cabinet and yes i do monitor temps all the time.

Mind it! Speedfan or any such tool can only control fans having 3pin or 4pin plugs such as chipset and heatsinkfans. In short any such pin type fan must be powered via the mobos 3-4pin powerplugs. Only then it will be shown in speedfan or controlled from there.

Well, its seems that after switching a side fan to suck air into the cabinet and chainging the fan speeds to 40%.. the temps stay at 40-42 and go upto 60-62 when playing battlefield 3.

good enough for now i'd say

Im using a 9800GT...it stays at 55-58 under full load (BF3 and Skyrim)

Using two NZXT cabby fans that came in my last cabinet and yes i do monitor temps all the time.

Can you install a very high RPM fan at the rear to suck all the air out of the case ?

Keep the rest of the config same just switching both sides fans to the intake air into the case if required.

Do update here what you did & how are the temps if you do the above procedure.
<

Back