Budget 51-70k cpu upgrade build review - AM5 + 7800x3d

1. What is your budget?
    • NA
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - 3300X + AM4
    • GPU - 3080 10gb
    • Monitor - 1440p xv272u kv
    • PSU - XPG CORE Reactor 850G
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Just upgrading CPU + Motherboard + RAM + cpu cooler
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - 7800x3d
    • Motherboard - GIGABYTE B650M DS3H
    • RAM - DDR5 6000 CL36 - GSkill
    • Cpu cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 620S / Deepcool AG620
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Nothing else for now
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Work
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • AM5 + 7800x3d
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Variety of games, single player
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1440p
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10
    • Linux
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading CPU to 7800x3d. Just looking for review of rest of the build.
Likely will buy if amazon has another sale with different cards like last few years and brings prices back down for these components.

1) cpu - Only option i considered was either 7600 or 7800x3d. Not interested in power hungry cpus. Decided to go with 7800x3d even though 7600 might be more than enough for 3080 for now.
2 extra cores will come in handy for work as a bonus, but primarily this is being bought for gaming.

2) Motherboard - GIGABYTE B650M DS3H seems sufficient and not sure if spending more has any point, perhaps for wifi ( already have usb wifi but its a bit old).
I have heard MSI has bad support in India, so not considering MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi.
ASRock B650M HDV/M.2, ASRock B650M Pro RS seems to be the best value boards - cheaper and better than this one, but they dont seem to be on sale in India yet.
Initially i thought i would only go for ATX board to accomodate my gpu better ( 2.5 slot i think and it blocks USB 3 hearder in current board).
But it seems this and other gigabyte boards have right angled ports now and should be easily accessible. ASRock ones actually have two headers with one above pcie, and has m2 + pcie5.
Not sure if spending more will serve any purpose, but checking for opinion.
Ports seem enough to me, VRM is good too and can run 7950x easily - and i dont think i will even consider cpus that use that much power.

3) RAM - DDR5 6000 CL36 seems to be sweet spot in terms of price and 7800x3d also does not benefit as much from faster ram for gaming. Better ram seems to have a jump in price.
Still looking for opinion.
Lot of people say that hynix kits are much better than samsung and can tune better.
AM5 had these memory voltage issues with 7800x3d + expo, but there was bios upgrade in AM5 that apparently has fixed issue and improved memory support.
I am not really a overclocker, but will take low hanging fruits if available. So far data i have seen seems to indicate that there is no point in chasing better kits.
There is Patriot 6400 C32 @1.45v ( does 6000 C36 @ 1.35) for 10k in amazon, could consider that if it makes sense and stock is available.
Also correct me if wrong - xmp should also be fine on AMD boards ?

4) Cpu Cooler - 7800x3d does not seem to need a lot of power, but people recommend two heatsink coolers.
Initially looked at AG620 which seemed to be best value, but recently came across CM 620S which is 1k cheaper, looks equivalent and has a paste tube as bonus.
Any reason to go with AG620 or something else ? Not interested in liquid coolers.

Thanks for reading !

Last edited:
What games do you play, and are they CPU bound right now?
Not all games actually benefit from the 3D cache.
If you still want to upgrade, check out the 5800x3D - you don't need to buy anything else as it is AM4, and you can use the money saved to upgrade GPU.

Hi,

I had a Ryzen 5 5600 + RX 5700XT. I also upgraded to AM5 a month ago, with the following parts:

1. 7800X3D
  2. MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk Wifi
  3. 32GB Trident Z Neo 6000 Mhz CL30
  4. RTX 3080 FE
Monitor is the XV272u KV, as well.

Here are a few observations and tips:

1. The 7800X3D is definitely power efficient, but does run hot due to the 3D Cache. I have a D15S (with two fans) paired with it, and temps hit 88-89C under Cinebench stress with no AC. Gaming performance is stellar
  2. AM5 still has issues, such as the occasional BSOD when EXPO is enabled
  3. The voltage issues on AM5 had nothing to do with memory. It was due to mobo vendors pushing SoC voltage to 1.4V on the CPU after enabling EXPO, which wasn't needed. The BIOS fix locked that to 1.3V. I personally keep it to 1.2V for peace of mind, and the system works fine with EXPO enabled
  4. With the 7800X3D, enabling curve optimizer of -30 under PBO settings will be your best friend. The CPU will work at a lower voltage, boost higher, and run cooler
The entire system combination works brilliantly well for gaming, and the 3080 will be fine for pushing 1440p gaming, for now.

Yes, the 5800X3D is also a good option, but good luck finding them in stock anywhere in the country right now lol. Even then, you will have to shell out 35K for one, whereas the 7800X3D can be had for 38K, right now (although you will have to factor in platform upgrade costs).

The 7800X3D is definitely power efficient, but does run hot due to the 3D Cache. I have a D15S (with two fans) paired with it, and temps hit 88-89C under Cinebench stress with no AC. Gaming performance is stellar
yeah, that's fine i guess. Just want to have too much heat coming out of case. 7800x3d does not transfer heat as easily and i guess that's why people recommend larger air coolers.
It terms of performance, even Prism is enough as per 'Buildzoid' ( but at 20C ambient .. )

AM5 still has issues, such as the occasional BSOD when EXPO is enabled
That's not good. Thanks for the tips.

What games do you play, and are they CPU bound right now?
Not all games actually benefit from the 3D cache.
If you still want to upgrade, check out the 5800x3D - you don't need to buy anything else as it is AM4, and you can use the money saved to upgrade GPU.
3300x does bottleneck my gpu many times with newer games. I sort of manage, but an upgrade is due.
Currently playing witcher 3 right now, and some places there really crap out due to it. There were other games i played in past where cpu again had bottleneck.
Just today played few demos - ghostrunner 1/2 and again many times cpu craps out and gpu usage does bad.

Yeah 5800x3d did not really drop in price enough in India. I would rather not buy it at 30k+ since 7600x is cheaper and similar.
Current cpu build i will likely reuse for another purpose. May have to swap 3300x with something that has igpu.
Also i would prefer to have an igpu as backup ( for work reasons - dont want issue if gpu has problem).

But from there i think i will just go with x3d. Its quite a bit faster which means it will last longer and i wont have to do this sooner. Many games seem to work faster vs 7600x.
Just looked at Hardware unboxed + gamers nexus vids today. Yeah at 1080, but anyway, i think ill spend here.
I am happy with 3080 - which i have already bought - i dont need faster for now, and current market is not interesting. Its too soon, but things can change and x3d will manage with upgrade too.

Just looking for opinion on rest of the build.

Last edited:
Yeah 5800x3d did not really drop in price enough in India.
...but good luck finding them in stock anywhere in the country right now lol
Yeah weirdly it's still 33k.

I would rather not buy it at 30k+ since 7600x is cheaper and similar.
Why? In gaming, not even a 7950X can beat it.

Also i would prefer to have an igpu as backup ( for work reasons - dont want issue if gpu has problem).
Totally agree on this part. I've never bought a CPU without an iGPU. Not just if GPU fails, it's helpful when repurposing as a server or something that doesn't need a GPU at all - more power efficient this way.

But from there i think i will just go with x3d. Its quite a bit faster which means it will last longer and i wont have to do this sooner. Many games seem to work faster vs 7600x.
A 5800x3D will last way longer than any 7xxx non x3D. This is an insane CPU. If you keep your PC for a long time, then it makes sense to get 7800x3D... only if the 5800x3D didn't exist and you didn't already have mobo + RAM for it

Current cpu build i will likely reuse for another purpose
Then it makes sense to get a new full build, but if it's not an actual requirement and more of a "I have a spare PC, so let me put it to some use" then 5800x3D will give you the most bang for the buck @ ~85% of 7800x3D's performance, but without the added expense of mobo + RAM.

CL36 6000 RAM was very close in price to CL30 last time I checked, see if that's still the case (DDR5 is overpriced af)

Mobo: Isn't Gigabyte the one with the worst support here?

yeah, that's fine i guess. Just want to have too much heat coming out of case. 7800x3d does not transfer heat as easily and i guess that's why people recommend larger air coolers.
It terms of performance, even Prism is enough as per 'Buildzoid' ( but at 20C ambient .. )

That's not good. Thanks for the tips.

3300x does bottleneck my gpu many times with newer games. I sort of manage, but an upgrade is due.
Currently playing witcher 3 right now, and some places there really crap out due to it. There were other games i played in past where cpu again had bottleneck.
Just today played few demos - ghostrunner 1/2 and again many times cpu craps out and gpu usage does bad.

Yeah 5800x3d did not really drop in price enough in India. I would rather not buy it at 30k+ since 7600x is cheaper and similar.
Current cpu build i will likely reuse for another purpose. May have to swap 3300x with something that has igpu.

Just looked at Hardware unboxed + gamers nexus vids today. Yeah at 1080, but anyway, i think ill spend here.
I am happy with 3080 - which i have already bought - i dont need faster for now, and current market is not interesting. Its too soon, but things can change and x3d will manage with upgrade too.

Personally, I don't think the 7800X3D is really worth going for, unless you have an unlimited budget. If primary use case is gaming, then the 7600 is plenty sufficient. Especially since you're pairing it with a 3080, the gap in performance between the 7600 and 7800X3D becomes even smaller. Thing is, both of them are already the best gaming CPUs in this gen, so its not like you'd be lacking in performance if you're going with the cheaper option.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE B650M DS3H seems sufficient and not sure if spending more has any point, perhaps for wifi ( already have usb wifi but its a bit old).
I have heard MSI has bad support in India, so not considering MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi.
It's a good board, if you can spend a little extra, then the WiFi version is worth the upgrade. I think it's about 2k more?
Which WiFi dongle do you have (brand)? Sometimes, removing that plastic enclosure/casing with a knife can lead to higher and more sustained bandwidth, since the IC would be heating up and throttling otherwise. This was the case with my cheapo WiFi dongle.

RAM - DDR5 6000 CL36 seems to be sweet spot in terms of price and 7800x3d also does not benefit as much from faster ram for gaming. Better ram seems to have a jump in price.
Still looking for opinion.
Lot of people say that hynix kits are much better than samsung and can tune better.
AM5 had these memory voltage issues with 7800x3d + expo, but there was bios upgrade in AM5 that apparently has fixed issue and improved memory support.
I am not really a overclocker, but will take low hanging fruits if available. So far data i have seen seems to indicate that there is no point in chasing better kits.
There is Patriot 6400 C32 @1.45v ( does 6000 C36 @ 1.35) for 10k in amazon, could consider that if it makes sense and stock is available.
Also correct me if wrong - xmp should also be fine on AMD boards ?
Well if you find a CL30 kit for the same price as 6000CL36, then I'd say go for it. That should have Hynix M dies inside them, like the Patriot ones you linked, and they'll definitely be better in terms of OC'ing and maybe stability than the Cl36 Samsung dies.
The stability issue will most likely be fixed with a future update, so if you desire, you can even push the M dies to 6400 Mt/s or maybe even 6800 if you're lucky. That 1.45v is kind of high though, tune down the voltage to ~1.4v if you buy them.

But apart from this, yes there's negligible difference in performance between 6000 CL36 and 6000 CL30. Both will be identical in stability as well, though you might have to do that voltage tuning I mentioned for CL 30 kit.

For cooler, CM620 looks good. It's a dual tower cooler and seems to share similar surface area as the AG620, so not much point in going with the AG620

WiFi + BT might be handy, if you don't need those, B650 DS3H is enough for 7800X3D.

Get 2x16GB RAM. I think CL36 vs CL30 is about 1k per stick. So your call if you want to save money vs get the extra 2% or so performance. Some future games might benefit from lower CL timings.

620S looks good in 1 review I saw, but AG620 & AK620 got better coverage from bigger reviewers, hence I recommend it more. AK620 looks better as well IMO.

Anyways, this rig should last you years, should even handle a GPU upgrade after 2-3 years if you fancy. But even R5 7600 + 3080 is good for 1440p for now.

Then it makes sense to get a new full build, but if it's not an actual requirement and more of a "I have a spare PC, so let me put it to some use" then 5800x3D will give you the most bang for the buck @ ~85% of 7800x3D's performance, but without the added expense of mobo + RAM.
yeah, i have some other spare parts that almost gives a complete build which i will give to family member for use. + 5800x3D lacks igpu.
AM5 build i will keep for many years hopefully and probably will upgrade to last x3d when its cheap at the very end. That's the plan.

Personally, I don't think the 7800X3D is really worth going for, unless you have an unlimited budget. If primary use case is gaming, then the 7600 is plenty sufficient. Especially since you're pairing it with a 3080, the gap in performance between the 7600 and 7800X3D becomes even smaller. Thing is, both of them are already the best gaming CPUs in this gen, so its not like you'd be lacking in performance if you're going with the cheaper option.
Yeah i know esp with 3080. So 7600(x) was my initial choice too, but the way i have moved to 7800x3d is that
a) i can use 2 extra cores for work too, not critical but nice to have. So if we start comparing with 7700, difference comes down. Also curious to see whether x3d helps in my own applications.
b) It is 10-15% better most of the time vs 7600x ( which is 3-5% faster than 7600 oob) and often, esp with recent games, it can be much more faster. Just look at the benchmarks here. I may not see this as easily with 3080 +1440p today, but it gives me options - could upgrade gpu later, and also can reduce settings and have higher refresh rate when it makes sense. I play some fast fps games too where it can help.
c) Eventually, games can become more cpu intensive and 7800x3d is likely to last me better, i would prefer not to have to upgrade too soon. Just look at Hogwarts legacy for instance.

Anyway, lets just consider it as luxury spend. I generally go with value products. but here i make an exception. Main focus of thread is rest of the build.

It's a good board, if you can spend a little extra, then the WiFi version is worth the upgrade. I think it's about 2k more?
Which WiFi dongle do you have (brand)? Sometimes, removing that plastic enclosure/casing with a knife can lead to higher and more sustained bandwidth, since the IC would be heating up and throttling otherwise. This was the case with my cheapo WiFi dongle.
So since many years i keep hearing that MSI has terrible support in India. I do not know how it is today. Price diff is slightly less than 3k in amazon which is fine by me if its worth it.
Ignoring price diff and extra wifi - is MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi better in any other way? Esp in terms of day to day usage, stability and bios.
VRMs are similar. i have heard that asrock and gigabyte has the best boot time ( not sure whats the status with latest bios updates). And PunkX 75 did mention facing BSOD with his more expensive MSI board.
Otherwise MSI one seems fine too - has more usb and pcie ports ( wont really use them ), debug led sounds nice +wifi.
My current usb one ( TPLink TL-WN722N) has a bit of a buggy driver on windows, It disconnects a couple of times usually on startup and then becomes stable. Not an issue in Linux, so just a bit of an irritant. speeds are ok.

Well if you find a CL30 kit for the same price as 6000CL36, then I'd say go for it. That should have Hynix M dies inside them, like the Patriot ones you linked, and they'll definitely be better in terms of OC'ing and maybe stability than the Cl36 Samsung dies.
The stability issue will most likely be fixed with a future update, so if you desire, you can even push the M dies to 6400 Mt/s or maybe even 6800 if you're lucky. That 1.45v is kind of high though, tune down the voltage to ~1.4v if you buy them.

But apart from this, yes there's negligible difference in performance between 6000 CL36 and 6000 CL30. Both will be identical in stability as well, though you might have to do that voltage tuning I mentioned for CL 30 kit.
Yeah thats my thinking too. If price is close enough then go for faster one, but there isnt much performance difference so no need to chase.

If i buy the patriot one(PVV532G640C32K - 10k), my plan is to use the 1.35v xmp profile as base and then tune it if i feel like it. i have not watched it but will use below videos and use optimized timings if they work without too much effort.

For cooler, CM620 looks good. It's a dual tower cooler and seems to share similar surface area as the AG620, so not much point in going with the AG620
Yeah that's what i am thinking too.
Both have 6 copper pipes. Fans are slightly different - CM has less slightly less pressure and slightly more airflow than deepcool, but anyway i don't think it will matter as both should be able to clear heat from heatsink easily for 7800x3d. From what i understand, temps are high because of difficulty in transferring heat to IHS.

So only thing against it is lack of reviews. But CM is a long standing company with some good products and whatever little i could gather from less professional reviews, it looks ok.

620S looks good in 1 review I saw, but AG620 & AK620 got better coverage from bigger reviewers, hence I recommend it more. AK620 looks better as well IMO.
Yeah 620s seems new. I think AK620 vs AG620 is quite clear, they are both very similar in performance. AK has an additional top cover and more accessories.

Edit -3 out of 3 people in youtube vids/comments had trouble fitting CM 620s with the ram. Cant find exact ram clearance for it anywhere. Low profile ram might be fine.
I don't want the hassle so i guess ill go for AG620 instead.

Last edited:
AM5 build i will keep for many years hopefully and probably will upgrade to last x3d when its cheap at the very end. That's the plan.
If you're hesitant to extend AM4 platform usefulness now with 5800x3D, because "AM5 is better", don't you think you will apply the same logic when AM6 comes out?

c) Eventually, games can become more cpu intensive and 7800x3d is likely to last me better, i would prefer not to have to upgrade too soon. Just look at Hogwarts legacy for instance.
Don't use HL as the measuring stick, it's a highly unoptimized port. If a 4090 can only do 80fps in 1080p, something is seriously wrong with it.

Anyway, lets just consider it as luxury spend.
Totally fine in that case.

If you're hesitant to extend AM4 platform usefulness now with 5800x3D, because "AM5 is better", don't you think you will apply the same logic when AM6 comes out?
Yeah i see that, time will tell. Its fine if i do that too. Also, some of the cost can be recovered by selling existing parts too, right now i can make use of them which makes it even easier.
But as i said, I have enough reasons to change as well as to build new + also want igpu as backup.
And i use it for work too, 7800x3d will be faster than 5800x3d so that's a bonus. For whatever reason, 5800x3d is not appealing to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, main purpose of thread was to look at other things around 7800x3d, maybe i did not mention it clearly.
I think i have some idea around ram and cpu cooler now, couple of options and will check prices and choose when ready.

Motherboard, still deciding. You said gigabyte has worst support, can you elaborate? How is MSI ? Since many years somehow i keep reading that MSI india is terrible.

So since many years i keep hearing that MSI has terrible support in India. I do not know how it is today. Price diff is slightly less than 3k in amazon which is fine by me if its worth it.
Ignoring price diff and extra wifi - is MSI PRO B650M-A WiFi better in any other way? Esp in terms of day to day usage, stability and bios.
VRMs are similar. i have heard that asrock and gigabyte has the best boot time ( not sure whats the status with latest bios updates). And PunkX 75 did mention facing BSOD with his more expensive MSI board.
Otherwise MSI one seems fine too - has more usb and pcie ports ( wont really use them ), debug led sounds nice +wifi.
My current usb one ( TPLink TL-WN722N) has a bit of a buggy driver on windows, It disconnects a couple of times usually on startup and then becomes stable. Not an issue in Linux, so just a bit of an irritant. speeds are ok.
I've been using an MSI mobo for close to 2 years now, haven't had any problem with it so far. I think the IndianGaming sub reddit would be where you want to look for motherboard RMA experiences.
I don't mobo RMA is something you should worry about too much, any mobo that you pick will live well past the warranty time period.

For the WiFi driver, maybe a Windows reinstall would fix it.

Yeah thats my thinking too. If price is close enough then go for faster one, but there isnt much performance difference so no need to chase.

If i buy the patriot one(PVV532G640C32K - 10k), my plan is to use the 1.35v xmp profile as base and then tune it if i feel like it. i have not watched it but will use below videos and use optimized timings if they work without too much effort.
Sounds like a good plan.

Yeah 620s seems new. I think AK620 vs AG620 is quite clear, they are both very similar in performance. AK has an additional top cover and more accessories.

Edit -3 out of 3 people in youtube vids/comments had trouble fitting CM 620s with the ram. Cant find exact ram clearance for it anywhere. Low profile ram might be fine.
I don't want the hassle so i guess ill go for AG620 instead.
That's interesting. But yeah, anything will be able to keep a 7800X3D, even an AK400, so cooling isn't a big deal. Optimum tech's YT channel made a build with a 7800X3D, I highly recommend watcing his vids. it's a custom water loop, but you might find some tips on extracting max performance and efficiency from the 7800X3D.

That's interesting. But yeah, anything will be able to keep a 7800X3D, even an AK400, so cooling isn't a big deal. Optimum tech's YT channel made a build with a 7800X3D, I highly recommend watcing his vids. it's a custom water loop, but you might find some tips on extracting max performance and efficiency from the 7800X3D.
An AK400 will not be able to efficiently cool the 7800X3D. It's a hot chip. My D15S (with two fans) can barely keep it within limits. The chip will start throttling once it hits that ceiling of 89c. X3D chips, unlike others, aren't designed to boost until they hit thermal limits, that's why the thermal ceiling is lower, and cannot manually OC them.

An AK400 will not be able to efficiently cool the 7800X3D. It's a hot chip. My D15S (with two fans) can barely keep it within limits. The chip will start throttling once it hits that ceiling of 89c. X3D chips, unlike others, aren't designed to boost until they hit thermal limits, that's why the thermal ceiling is lower, and cannot manually OC them.
AK400 can handle 150W CPUs as well, but I agree that X3D generates more heat for the same wattage. AK400 should be sufficient inside a case with good airflow though. I doubt games will push even 80-90W on 7800X3D, it is considered very efficient, might see 85C in Indian climate at 100% CPU load but that doesn't happen while gaming usually. Then there's undervolting.

Anyways OP has the budget here, so 620S or AG620 or AK620 are surely better.

my 7800x3d idles at 50-60 C with a 360mm deepcool lt720.. i've tried reinstalling it a couple of times now and have come to the conclusion that this is just how it is.. under gaming load its 65-70 C.. this is very weird behaviour.. my 13700K was 40 C at idle and would sit at 65-70 C while gaming.

also my 7800x3d rarily ever boosts above 4.75ghz.. even with pbo enabled and CO set to -20.

any suggestions @PunkX 75 or is this inline with ur experience?

also isnt ak620 like a 5k cooler? why not get the LE720 for 7.5kish?

edit: also another thing that i've noticed is.. my intel system felt much more snappier with windows 11 compared to amd.. maybe its placebo or whatever.. just something to consider.

Last edited:
my 7800x3d idles at 50-60 C with a 360mm deepcool lt720.. i've tried reinstalling it a couple of times now and have come to the conclusion that this is just how it is.. under gaming load its 65-70 C.. this is very weird behaviour.. my 13700K was 40 C at idle and would sit at 65-70 C while gaming.

also my 7800x3d rarily ever boosts above 4.75ghz.. even with pbo enabled and CO set to -20.

any suggestions @PunkX 75 or is this inline with ur experience?

edit: also another thing that i've noticed is.. my intel system felt much more snappier with windows 11 compared to amd.. maybe its placebo or whatever.. just something to consider.
Mine does 4.85-4.9 consistently on all cores.

I have my CO set to -30 and SoC voltage manually lowered to 1.2V.

My gaming temps are similar to yours. Your idle temps are a bit higher, though. Here's mine with the AC off:

Img.png

yeah, it does not give out too much heat but apparently is hard to cool. Also, it might have been limited a bit to try to make 7950x3d stand out.

AMD's 3D V-Cache tech requires special accommodations to manage voltages and, thus, thermals. This is because of the silicon shim stacked atop the CPU cores on the chiplet with 3D V-Cache — this shim transfers heat from the cores to the integrated heat spreader (IHS) but inevitably reduces the efficiency of the thermal transfer from the cores. In effect, the shim traps a small amount of heat. As such, AMD limits the 3D V-Cache CCD chiplet to ~1.1V to keep heat within safe boundaries.

The 7800X3D easily reaches its rated 5.0 GHz clock rate in single-threaded work, which is 200 MHz lower than the 7950X3D's similar chiplet. This means that AMD could have likely assigned an extra 200 MHz to the 7800X3D's boost clock rates, but probably held back for the sake of segmentation — the 7800X3D already slightly beats the 7950X3D in gaming, and it would be a bad look if it beat the more expensive chip by even larger margins. We can also see that the 7800X3D achieves nearly the same ~4.8 GHz clock rate in threaded work as the cache-equipped Ryzen 9 7950X3D chiplet.

Could be wrong but probably placebo, in terms of feel i think most of the snappiness of desktop usage comes from SSD.
Its crazy that intel chips have so much increase in power usage and still cant beat 7800x3d in gaming performance ( but trounce it everywhere else .. ). I guess its a specialized chip.
Would be interesting to see how they all compare if limited to say 65w.
The Core i9-13900K also beats the 7800X3D easily: it's 32% faster in single-threaded work and 89% faster in threaded applications, but that isn't too surprising given the $150 chasm between the two chips. The 7800X3D doesn't fare much better against the like-priced $417 Core i7-13700K in productivity apps, either — the 13700K is 22% faster in single-threaded and 51% faster in multi-threaded.

I don't really want to use liquid coolers, and anyway i think its way overkill for this chip.

Last edited:
No I don't think it should be much of an issue. I helped install an AK400 in my friends PC with an i5 13500, which pulls between 130-140w. I think the 7800X3D pulls about half as much? His Temps hovered around 90 C in a 10 min CB23 run, but it never throttled. This was in one of those cheap Ant esport cases with a meshed front.
Or is it some kind of anamoly with X3D chips?

Could be wrong but probably placebo, in terms of feel i think most of the snappiness of desktop usage comes from SSD.
Latency also plays a part. I remember tech yes city posting a series of videos on how latest gen chips performed poorly in latency tests (like opening files and search bar) in W11 when compared to older gen chips.

No I don't think it should be much of an issue. I helped install an AK400 in my friends PC with an i5 13500, which pulls between 130-140w. I think the 7800X3D pulls about half as much? His Temps hovered around 90 C in a 10 min CB23 run, but it never throttled. This was in one of those cheap Ant esport cases with a meshed front.
Or is it some kind of anamoly with X3D chips?

Latency also plays a part. I remember tech yes city posting a series of videos on how latest gen chips performed poorly in latency tests (like opening files and search bar) in W11 when compared to older gen chips.
It's not because of the TDP or wattage. The IHS doesn't transfer heat efficiently due to its thickness, coupled with the extra heat already generated by 3D Cache.

X3D chips are not designed to boost till thermal limits due to this reason and have a lower throttle ceiling of 89C. Non-X3D chips have a higher limit of 95C.

I don't really want to use liquid coolers, and anyway i think its way overkill for this chip.
Also, AIOs are like consumables. These days some companies give you 5 years of warranty, but I know 2 people who bought AIO around 2018-19, it failed within 3 years for 1, got it RMA'd, failed outside warranty for other one, he shifted to air cooler. Leaks are very rare now, but still it's a small chance vs no chance on an air cooler.

Back