Budget 51-70k cpu upgrade build review - AM5 + 7800x3d

Latency also plays a part. I remember tech yes city posting a series of videos on how latest gen chips performed poorly in latency tests (like opening files and search bar) in W11 when compared to older gen chips.
Never saw this before. Scanned one video a bit, and i think the general message was that intel latest has higher latency because they moved something off chip.
Could be a windows gui bug too, who knows.
He feels opposite, intel latest snappier than amd.

@enc0dex264
Dunno, but could be an issue due to curve optimizer too. Apparently there is something called clock stretching. Somewhere i heard/read that too high value can lead to lag and/or crash. Probably not your issue, but anyway below seems like a nice video for CO.

Bought 7800x3d and this ram few days back. Shipping is a bit delayed so have time to select motherboard. I think ill stick with Gigabyte B650m ds3h. Not many fairly priced motherboards on amazon+appario, this board anyway is enough for me and should easily run 7800x3d. And i like the pcie 'EZ-Latch' which seems to be much easier to access. Broke that on my current B550m ds3h ( did not cause any issue thankfully )

Last edited:
Amazon usually has the highest price amongst all web stores for PC components. Only exception is deals/card discount. You should use https://pcpricetracker.in/ to find lowest among major online stores.

And coming to x3D pretty much any board can run it easily, so no need to worry as long as it has feautres you want like audio jacks/USB ports etc.
yeah, but usually diwali sale used to be good. But this one has been average. I got decent enough deal on 7800x3d(39k + cc) and ram (10k + cc).
ds3h looks ok too at 15.1k, rest all motherboards i see as overpriced. Which might be fine if i really needed anything more, but otherwise incentive is less to go for above market price. Plus support seems to be bad for all, so why pay more ..

I have gotten very comfortable with Amazon, so trying to stick with them since i need to get all 4 parts at same time. + they have 7 day window if there is an issue ( even for non returnable items as per terms).
Other shops, i dont know when they will ship. Or i will have to go to them. Plus some of them have even smaller 3 day window which is absurd. Probably ok if buying only 1 item.

Anyway, amazon is convenient, but need to wait for good prices. B550 ds3h has been good. Best value B650 boards are asrock ones, but for whatever reason Indian stores don't keep them.
US shops have really good prices and terms. 30 day return window i think, that would make it much easier to buy.

Bought 7800x3d and this ram few days back. Shipping is a bit delayed so have time to select motherboard. I think ill stick with Gigabyte B650m ds3h. Not many fairly priced motherboards on amazon+appario, this board anyway is enough for me and should easily run 7800x3d. And i like the pcie 'EZ-Latch' which seems to be much easier to access. Broke that on my current B550m ds3h ( did not cause any issue thankfully )
IMO look into tuning that RAM. AMD says 6000MHz CL30 is the best RAM for Ryzen 7000 & until few months back had lot of issues with higher frequency RAM. Look into tuning that RAM to run it at 6000MHz with tighter timings, there will be many guides available (sadly never tuned RAM personally to guide you better).

IMO look into tuning that RAM. AMD says 6000MHz CL30 is the best RAM for Ryzen 7000 & until few months back had lot of issues with higher frequency RAM. Look into tuning that RAM to run it at 6000MHz with tighter timings, there will be many guides available (sadly never tuned RAM personally to guide you better).
Yeah, i looked at official specs for that ram, and it also has a xmp profile for 6000 c36.
I will first test everything without ram overclock and then test 6000 profile. Maybe later will try to tune it and get whatever low hanging fruits i can get.
There is a guide for that i linked earlier from 'buildzoid'. In any case, x3d has much lower impact from ram vs non x3d ryzen.

Reason i got that ram is that it seems like it should probably have Hynix ( 6400 c32 @ 1.4V ) and it was priced ok.
All else in amazon were either priced badly or were 6000 c36 which is likely samsung and people say hynix tunes better. Worst case this should also run at 6000 C36.
Outside amazon, we have 6000C30 for slightly more than 10k, and they are probably best buys. This one i got for 10k + cc discount.
Just leaving option open for tuning in future, but not that much of an enthusiast for these things as gains are tiny.

Yeah, i looked at official specs for that ram, and it also has a xmp profile for 6000 c36.
I will first test everything without ram overclock and then test 6000 profile. Maybe later will try to tune it and get whatever low hanging fruits i can get.
There is a guide for that i linked earlier from 'buildzoid'. In any case, x3d has much lower impact from ram vs non x3d ryzen.

Reason i got that ram is that it seems like it should probably have Hynix ( 6400 c32 @ 1.4V ) and it was priced ok.
All else in amazon were either priced badly or were 6000 c36 which is likely samsung and people say hynix tunes better. Worst case this should also run at 6000 C36.
Outside amazon, we have 6000C30 for slightly more than 10k, and they are probably best buys. This one i got for 10k + cc discount.
Just leaving option open for tuning in future, but not that much of an enthusiast for these things as gains are tiny.
9k or so for that RAM is good indeed, esp if it has 6000 CL36 profile. 6000MHz CL30 is about 11k AFAIK.

Looks good, especially that RAM. But I'd be surprised if it ran 6400 stock even after multiple memory trainings. Why not consider the mobo purchase as a luxury one and try for an X670 under 25k ?

I think it's best if you try with the 6000 CL36 profile as a baseline for a month or so and when work you're way up when you have free time. Performance difference will be negligible or even worse (instability) with higher speeds, but OC is a pretty fun activity. Btw, there's a kit of Teamgroup 32GB for about 80 dollars (6.5K) in the US which was confirmed by a few reddit posts and buildzoid as Hynix A die. I'm real interested in asking a relative to get it from there for me, and I'll probably piece together the rest of the build over the next 1.5 years after Ryzen 8000 and meteor lake launches. Hopefully high frequency woes will be over by then.

Looks good, especially that RAM. But I'd be surprised if it ran 6400 stock even after multiple memory trainings.

I think it's best if you try with the 6000 CL36 profile as a baseline for a month or so and when work you're way up when you have free time
Yeah exactly.
If i ever get to tweaking it, my plan is only to try 6000 C32/C30 and tighter 'secondary' timings that everyone talks about.
If i can get some conservative optimizations that are stable, ill call it a day

Why not consider the mobo purchase as a luxury one and try for an X670 under 25k ?
Dunno, most of the things in higher priced boards look like things that i will never use/need. cpu performance will be same.
What will you get from those boards that you will actually put to use in normal gaming workloads ?

Quite happy with AM4 B550 ds3h that i currently use.
Initially, my plan was to go for full ATX board to get more room, but the problems that i faced with B550m seems to have been solved by B650m ds3h ( pcie latch was hard to access, and usb3 header blocked by gpu).
I could have gone with better board say around 20k ( or even 25k), if there was some actual need for it and if it was priced well. Plus support seems to be not good for all three - gigabyte/msi/asrock.
Plus everything is overpriced if we go with Amazon + appario, which i prefer as it reduces hassles for me in terms of delivery/replacements. B650m ds3h is priced fine, so just went with that again. I have been using ds3h boards for over a decade now, had an intel one that did die after ~7 years.
Anyway, already bought it now.

With cpus, i get performance uplift + they are much less likely to die.
US prices are great and they seem to have 30 day returns windows, that will make it much easier to buy from multiple sources.

---------------

Only cpu cooler is left now, will buy it tommorow and try to time delivery to get it all together. Should get it all next monday ( cpu is coming from assam).
Found that Cooler Master Hyper 620S has ram clearance of 38mm, so it wont work for me as suspected.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly.
If i ever get to tweaking it, my plan is only to try 6000 C32/C30 and tighter 'secondary' timings that everyone talks about.
If i can get some conservative optimizations that are stable, ill call it a day

Dunno, most of the things in higher priced boards look like things that i will never use/need. cpu performance will be same.
What will you get from those boards that you will actually put to use in normal gaming workloads ?

Quite happy with AM4 B550 ds3h that i currently use.
Initially, my plan was to go for full ATX board to get more room, but the problems that i faced with B550m seems to have been solved by B650m ds3h ( pcie latch was hard to access, and usb3 header blocked by gpu).
I could have gone with better board say around 20k ( or even 25k), if there was some actual need for it and if it was priced well. Plus support seems to be not good for all three - gigabyte/msi/asrock.
Plus everything is overpriced if we go with Amazon + appario, which i prefer as it reduces hassles for me in terms of delivery/replacements. B650m ds3h is priced fine, so just went with that again. I have been using ds3h boards for over a decade now, had an intel one that did die after ~7 years.
Anyway, already bought it now.

With cpus, i get performance uplift + they are much less likely to die.
US prices are great and they seem to have 30 day returns windows, that will make it much easier to buy from multiple sources.

---------------

Only cpu cooler is left now, will buy it tommorow and try to time delivery to get it all together. Should it get it all next monday ( cpu is coming from assam).
Found that Cooler Master Hyper 620S has ram clearance of 38mm, so it wont work for me as suspected.

Please share what the idle and cinebench temps look like on the 7800x3d once you have it.. I'm suspecting my AIO might be faulty? 55 C idle temp for a 7800x3d seems rather high to me on a 360mm aio.

Please share what the idle and cinebench temps look like on the 7800x3d once you have it.. I'm suspecting my AIO might be faulty? 55 C idle temp for a 7800x3d seems rather high to me on a 360mm aio.
My i5 12400 with AK400 & Lancool II Mesh idles at 48-50C for package temp. But gaming temps are under 60C avg in most games. My ambient temp is 25-30C. So maybe it is fine, provided AIO is running & fan configs are not sub-optimum.

My i5 12400 with AK400 & Lancool II Mesh idles at 48-50C for package temp. But gaming temps are under 60C avg in most games. My ambient temp is 25-30C. So maybe it is fine, provided AIO is running & fan configs are not sub-optimum.
13700KF was running less than 50 C with a 5.6Ghz P Core OC, this is why its bothering me.

13700KF was running less than 50 C with a 5.6Ghz P Core OC, this is why its bothering me.
Like Intel's temps improve with contact frame, there's something called an offset bracket for Ryzen 7000 which optimises the mounting location between CPU & cooler to keep the CPU cooler.

Got last part ( cpu ) today. So will assemble it tomorrow. Any tips ?
What method to use for cpu paste on these processors ? These have some exposed areas. Going to use the paste that comes with AG620.

Got last part ( cpu ) today. So will assemble it tomorrow. Any tips ?
What method to use for cpu paste on these processors ? These have some exposed areas. Going to use the paste that comes with AG620.
I use X & no, too much paste doesn't hamper cooling performance. Gamers Nexus debunked it years ago. Extra paste will be pushed out & spill over on the mobo near socket.

With default (non oc) ram speeds and default cpu settings without CO. Default case fan config set by bios. Mumbai ambient temps.

Idle is around 45 for me.
cinebench 2024 multicore - it hovered at 85 most of the time. Max 86

With xmp ( 1.35v for ram). Both went up by 1 degree.

I use X & no, too much paste doesn't hamper cooling performance. Gamers Nexus debunked it years ago. Extra paste will be pushed out & spill over on the mobo near socket.
I started to do that, but paste was a bit viscous. I remember using line last time with 3300x and deepcool paste, but this time it became a mess. Eventually just spread it out a bit manually and then put some at center.

I think it's best if you try with the 6000 CL36 profile as a baseline for a month or so and when work you're way up when you have free time. Performance difference will be negligible or even worse (instability) with higher speeds, but OC is a pretty fun activity. Btw, there's a kit of Teamgroup 32GB for about 80 dollars (6.5K) in the US which was confirmed by a few reddit posts and buildzoid as Hynix A die.
6000 xmp seems to be holding fine for now, turned it on last night and ran cinebench. Using latest bios
Have not had any issue so far thankfully, and boot times even without memory context restore seem tolerable. My usb wifi stick also seems to be working ok after windows reinstall. god knows why.

I looked in cpu-z and ram has hynix. Now how to tell if its A die or M die ? It does not really matter i guess as ill keep it at 6k and tune other timings, but still curious. Tried to run some typhoon software, it gave no error on read but all data was undefined.

Last edited:
With default (non oc) ram speeds and default cpu settings without CO. Default case fan config set by bios. Mumbai ambient temps.

Idle is around 45 for me.
cinebench 2024 multicore - it hovered at 85 most of the time. Max 86

With xmp ( 1.35v for ram). Both went up by 1 degree.

I started to do that, but paste was a bit viscous. I remember using line last time with 3300x and deepcool paste, but this time it became a mess. Eventually just spread it out a bit manually and then put some at center.

6000 xmp seems to be holding fine for now, turned it on last night and ran cinebench. Using latest bios
Have not had any issue so far thankfully, and boot times even without memory context restore seem tolerable. My usb wifi stick also seems to be working ok after windows reinstall. god knows why.

I looked in cpu-z and ram has hynix. Now how to tell if its A die or M die ? It does not really matter i guess as ill keep it at 6k and tune other timings, but still curious. Tried to run some typhoon software, it gave no error on read but all data was undefined.
Enable CO and you'll be good to go. I would also suggest manually lowering SoC voltage to 1.2. Has no effect on stability and you save a bit more on temps. Welcome to the club :cool:

Back