User Guides Create Windows® XP Icons

In this topic, we'll see how to create icons which deal with the new Windows XP Style. We'll also see which image formats must be included in such icons in order to be compatible with all screen configurations.
This topic is based on a Microsoft® article named "Creating Windows XP Icons".Click here to read the original document.

Introduction
Microsoft® Windows® XP introduces a new style in icon design.We recommend you to follow the guidelines described in this topic to create compliant icons.

The best way to proceed is to start creating large scale versions of your images in an external vector or bitmap drawing program, such as Macromedia® Freehand®, Adobe® Photoshop® or Jasc® Paint Shop Pro®. The next step will be to import them into IconWorkshop to create your icons.

All these programs support the new Alpha Channel (a.k.a. 32BPP Smooth Transparency) feature in images. This will help you to create beautiful icons with smooth edges.

Tutorial: Create Windows® XP Icons

Hmmm... and I thought it was me who sucked at making icons so smooth as on my desktop.
Lets see how it helps now.

Back