Credit card recommendations?

Which card would you guys recommend for someone visiting the UK/Scotland for three weeks, as a one time vacation? Would it make sense to get a new card for this purpose, or is it okay to use an existing ICICI Platinum credit card? Would you recommend getting a forex card, and if so, any specific recommendations? Maximum expenditure/transactions would be around 900-1000 GBP.
Multi currency forex card, not a credit card for international travel. Those are prepaid mostly.

Multi currency forex card, not a credit card for international travel. Those are prepaid mostly.
Yes.. they are prepaid, which is fine for me.
Even the IDFC Wow credit card is issued against a fixed deposit, so I don't see much of an advantage of one type of card over another.

Which card would you guys recommend for someone visiting the UK/Scotland for three weeks, as a one time vacation? Would it make sense to get a new card for this purpose, or is it okay to use an existing ICICI Platinum credit card? Would you recommend getting a forex card, and if so, any specific recommendations? Maximum expenditure/transactions would be around 900-1000 GBP.
I used RBL Bank World safari credit card and Fi (Federal) debit card on a recent trip to UAE. Both were flawless. Both of them have zero forex markup charges.

With Fi DC, you can spend 50k in a month with zero forex markup if you have 10k MAB account. But you can keep 50k+ for a month, your account type will be upgraded to "infinite" and then can have unlimited zero forex markup charges. Reduce it to 10k+ after coming back.

Last edited:
RBL Bank World safari credit card
This comes with an annual fee of Rs.3000 + GST. Is it worth it? Would it make sense if I am going to spend only less than 1 lakh INR during the travel abroad?

With Fi DC, you can spend 50k in a month with zero forex markup if you have 10k MAB account. But you can keep 50k+ for a month, your account type will be upgraded to "infinite" and then can have unlimited zero forex markup charges. Reduce it to 10k+ after coming back.
Too much hassle opening a new bank account and maintaining a MAB.

I am starting to think that a forex prepaid card would make more sense, since I am not keen on opening a new bank account, or lock funds in a FD for this purpose. Am I missing something?

IDK if this has been recommended, but have you tried Scapia by Federal Bank? They have 0 forex charges, though you can't apply for it if you had any federal CC previously.

This comes with an annual fee of Rs.3000 + GST. Is it worth it? Would it make sense if I am going to spend only less than 1 lakh INR during the travel abroad?

I got it LTF. I had RBL Zomato card earlier, they upgraded it to RBL Shoprite card. Later, when I requested them to cancel it, they offered me World Safari LTF.

Absolutely not worth 3000+GST.

Too much hassle opening a new bank account and maintaining a MAB.
Account opening was all online. For 10k MAB, I have kept it for small UPI payments without disturbing my primary banks. And it gives zero forex for 50k transactions per month with 10k MAB. I took out my 50k on 5th Feb and I am still on Infinite plan, they send email to increase balance but did not downgrade me. Infinite plan also gives 2% cashback on UPI payments (with so many T&Cs, I don't consider it).

Have you looked at niyo global card? They mention 0 forex charges.

You could use your existing card if you're okay with the 3.5% charges+ GST. 1000GBP comes around 1L so the charges will be 4130rs for that, for a one time trip it feels more convenient.

Have you looked at niyo global card? They mention 0 forex charges.
I am looking into it, along with the other suggestions above. Still have more than a month before the travel, so I'll check out all of these and zero in on one.

You could use your existing card if you're okay with the 3.5% charges+ GST. 1000GBP comes around 1L so the charges will be 4130rs for that, for a one time trip it feels more convenient.
This was my thought too. Rather than open a new bank account, or open an FD, or pay for credit card joining fee, this would be hassle free.

I used Indie Visa Signature debit card during Singapore Travel. 0% forex fee/international charges. Did not do ATM withdrawal. Worked everywhere, being VISA.

Just open Savings Account in Indie, complete VKYC, do funding of 50K, and request physical debit card after checking the card variant (should be VISA Signature after the account gets upgraded to Megastar tier).
Use as normal debit card everywhere.

Back