Budget 71-90K Critique this rig

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi folks & at last ...... phew

My desire is to build a RIG that would be excellent in QUALITY + STABILITY + PERFORMANCE

Q: What is your budget?
70-90K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
It's an antique edition AMD Athlon/Win XP 32bit which served me well for over 8 years

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM - Depending upon the following conditions
- Should have full driver support with Win 7 64-bit (there are third party drivers & I need to check if these will work well)
- the new motherboard "should have a PCI slot" [many Z77 mobo's do not have any]
- I am kinda veering towards the Sabertooth Z77 for my new RIG (however this does not have a PCI slot!!!).... so I am in a dilemma (what if the sound blaster does not work perfectly on a z77 board with win 7-64bit; then I will feel awful for missing out on the sabertooth)

I have a an external 2TB Seagate Sata HDD which I have not yet started using.

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU : i5 - 3570K
Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth Z77 [this is my first choice ONLY if I cannot accomodate my OLD Soundblaster PCI card at all on my new system ]
Other Choices : Asus P8Z77-V PRO ; Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi
RAM : 16 GB G.SKILL ARES ( 8 X 2 )
CPU COOLER : NOCTUA NH-C14 .......... C type with 2 fans & no issues interfering with ram slots
PSU : Seasonic SS 660KM Gold X-Series Fully Modular
SSD : OCZ 128GB Vertex 4
HDD : Seagate 1 TB
MONITOR : DELL U2312HM
Cabinet : NZXT Phantom 410 Crafted (Gun Metal Edition) ...... If this is available at all (it was a limited edition & prime had it)
DVD-Writer : HP
Additional Components :
Case Fans : 3 - 4 Bitfenix Spectre Pro PVM
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 3-4 months
GPU Card - Will have to be Nvidia based (for CUDA); I am not into gaming so will allocate a certain budget (10-15K max) & see what's possible
Additional HDD's - as and when the need arises
RAM - If the need arises, then additional 16GB

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai local
Open to online purchase from any reliable site in India / Abroad (if the particular component is not available here & I really need it) / TE Dealers

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Purely Home use and Not for any Commercial Purpose - Adobe Premiere Pro | Photoshop | Maya 2012 | Nuke | Testing other Compositing & Editing & Audio Softwares | Music | maybe a hackintosh too

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
AS MENTIONED ABOVE IN MY CHOICES

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
NO GAMING FOR ME - Whatever my 11 year daughter may play (I really dunno :scared14: )

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1980 X 1020

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes if the need arises (not an absolute requirement )

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Win 7 & later 8 64bit & maybe a hackintosh

Q: Timeframe to acquire the above?
As soon as we can finalise on the components & before the end of this month. The GPU card will have to wait later till Diwali.

Please feel free to critique this as much as is possible & do not hesitate to tell me if I am going overboard anywhere.

Note: As mentioned at the start my first preference is always on Build Quality of each component.

Thanks & regards
Terry

Need to snap for today Sire, long long day it has been. Will definitely go through this in the coming days =].

Take care and good night.

@terence_fdes Looks like you've sorted everything out nicely,Though here are some changes-
Intel i5 3570K-15k
Asus P8Z77V-PRO-17.5k
Gskill Ripjaws Ares OR Corsair Vengeance 8GBX2-8.4k
Segate 1TB 7200RPM-4.7k
Corsair HX750-9.3k OR Seasonic X660-8.3k
Noctua NH U12P SE2-4k OR Thermalright Silver Arrow-3.7k
Corsair 400R-5k OR Nzxt Phantom 410-6.1k
OCZ Vertex4 128GB-8.5k
Dell U2312HM-15k
HP Boxed DVD-RW-1k
Hope this helps.:)

Man o man , here it is finally , could not wait for Diwali eh :p ?
Boy having no huge gpu in the equation makes for a killer pc .
Are you sure with the C-14 ? I feel it will put a bit too much weight on the cpu socket . I would still go for the D-14 .
Where are you going to buy from ? and When ?

Anyways I guess you have made the best choices out there . And sabertooth !! ?

#terence_fdes You have selected all the components appropriately. However I advise you to go for Corsair HX 750 since you are not yet decided on graphics card.
The advantages will be - you will have a better head room for selecting GPU also you will get better A.S.S. from Corsair (though I personally found Tirupati's service for seasonic great). Again hear, Seasonic X660 is also a good choice, considering the budget you have allocated for the GPU.

Regarding HDD I suggest you have a look at NAS hard disks like WD Red or Seagate Constellation they are much more reliable (consider if your usage is significantly high).
Couldn't find them in any of the usual online stores. You can contact #bottle , for further info, he recently bought three of them http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/everyday-show-off-thread-57621/p299/#post1713139
I am suggesting them because I have recently suffered from a dead HDD lost over 400 gigs of data. Though the regular desktop HDD are cheap and are pretty reliable, they are not that reliable. And since you want reliable rig, they are a good choice since spending Rs 2000~3000 premium is worth some piece of mind

#terence_fdes You have selected all the components appropriately. However I advise you to go for Corsair HX 750 since you are not yet decided on graphics card.
The advantages will be - you will have a better head room for selecting GPU also you will get better A.S.S. from Corsair (though I personally found Tirupati's service for seasonic great). Again hear, Seasonic X660 is also a good choice, considering the budget you have allocated for the GPU.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
NO GAMING FOR ME - Whatever my 11 year daughter may play (I really dunno :scared14: )

The Seasonic X660W should be enough for a GTX670 but that is OP's call not ours.

Regarding HDD I suggest you have a look at NAS hard disks like WD Red or Seagate Constellation they are much more reliable (consider if your usage is significantly high).
Couldn't find them in any of the usual online stores. You can contact #bottle , for further info, he recently bought three of them http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/everyday-show-off-thread-57621/p299/#post1713139
I am suggesting them because I have recently suffered from a dead HDD lost over 400 gigs of data. Though the regular desktop HDD are cheap and are pretty reliable, they are not that reliable. And since you want reliable rig, they are a good choice since spending Rs 2000~3000 premium is worth some piece of mind

TO START THE DAY TODAY - I've landed at work without my spectacles (damm, damm, damm ....:3806fd2b: ), must be this final excitement..... so will not be able to get back to you guys until tonight.....plz bear with me :happy26:

Thanks mate for your inputs - Regards PSU - I think 650/660W would be sufficient for my needs (apart from what I have suggested, I would most likely be adding a few more HDD's ) 750W might be an overkill. The GPU that I would be adding later on (sticking to a budget of upto 15K) is not gonna be a drainer on the PSU, and neither am I ever gonna SLI. So by the time we take to finalise my decision I will stick to 650/660W...... and if it's a must then 750/760W. I will not hold back my budget for this core component. The HX series that you suggest is not fully modular - Everything is detachable except the essentials: 1 x PCI-E connector, 1 x 24-pin Power Connector, and 1x 4/8-pin EPS Connector (now what's this last one EPS connector used for ?) ...... wait ah-ha methinks I found an aanswer All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors ..... almost I guess, though it looks dated..... has anything changed since 2008 ?

Basically, I woulld'nt want any extra cable that I would not be using to just hang around the place. And the AX Gold Series is I think more expensive than seasonic & not easily available.

The debate of Corsair vs Seasonic Service in India is really very sad. In case I lock onto seasonic (fully modular), I guess I will be willing to take that risk hoping that being a premium product, the likelihood of it ever malfunctioning would be nil.

Now about the WD RED or Seagate Constellation - I really do not have any gyan about them (How advantageous / price-to-performance / failure rate etc / I want to avoid RAID based config)..... need more HELP

Man o man , here it is finally , could not wait for Diwali eh :p ?
Boy having no huge gpu in the equation makes for a killer pc .
Are you sure with the C-14 ? I feel it will put a bit too much weight on the cpu socket . I would still go for the D-14 .
Where are you going to buy from ? and When ?

Anyways I guess you have made the best choices out there . And sabertooth !! ?

Harryboy ....wots happen'd to your own monstrous rig. Is it up & running ?

GPU will come later and a modest Nvidia one upto 15K ....... unless I get some extra moolah from the Koyla-scam :bleh:

regards CPU Cooler : Preference is for an Air Cooler & Why C-14 vs D-14
D-14 is a proven Beast (I have no doubts at all), weighs 1240 gms - now unless it's mounted on a robust metal case OR the whole cabby is kept sleeping, I wouldnt wat to take that risk
C-14 (or the single fan C12P-SE14 ) is a more revolutionary design - weighs at 850/1000gms with 1/2 fans (although elsewhere they mention 750 gms) .... I need to be more certain about this part. The C design allows for better air-dissipation & one can orient the fans in such a way to completely throw off all hot air off the motherboard/cabinet (esp if one goes for a cabby that has a left side mesh window); it also allows for secondary cooling of the motherboard components; the C-shape gives adequate room for all those monstrous RAM's

Lastly, the Sabertooth Z77 - well it's the best of the BEST out there (virtually a dust-free motherboard ..... all its essential components); comes with two small motherboard cover fans that I/O draws additional cold air in and expels even more heat; excellent quality of each and every component; it's build is such that failure rates are extremely low; drawbacks - no PCI slot; no Wi-Fi; asus assures premium quality service; 5 year warranty.

I plan to buy as soon as I am through with all this final round of decision making .... 2-3 weeks max

thanks to @Jakob too ... will get back tonight

Guy's please do gimme links (if possible) to any radical (not thought about by me) components that you may recommend as also it's pricing/availability

Last edited by a moderator:
@terence_fdes

I would still suggest the H80 or H100 . Sabertooth can take care of its own cooling , plus your fans would do it anyways .
That cooler might cost you 5- 5.5k . Add another 500 bucks and get the H80 but its a bit loud because of being a single rad and has to perform nicely . Get the H100 , I would suggest that .

But I guess you are cent percent sure on that cooler since months , so I dont think I can move you on this .
About the Asus service , dont be sure of that . I guess it depends on the person you are dealing with and their mood .
A guy is having problems with his rampage motherboard which costs 25k+ with ease . But if the failures rates are very low , then its not a worry .

About my rig , in order process , will be up by this week at max . No possibility of going to next week but yes gpu will wait .
A bit of confusion on it but wont hold the PC for that , will buy it later .
If can get Asus DCUII top , then will buy now . But availability is a problem .

Btw , where is the mouse and kb and things ?

terence_fdes
About my rig , in order process , will be up by this week at max . No possibility of going to next week but yes gpu will wait .
A bit of confusion on it but wont hold the PC for that , will buy it later .

Btw , where is the mouse and kb and things ?

Mouse/KB/Speakers etc will start off by using my existing things........ I'd rather sort out & finalise all the "core" components first.

Btw .... where are you sourcing out your components from. You can pm me if you so wish. I will be checking with hardwire.in.

Might place an order for the monitor Dell U2312HM in the next day or two.

Ok guys .... Sabertooth is 99 percent OUT (I need that 1 PCI slot to carry forward my Sound Blaster card) so
mobo is most likely Asus P8Z77-V PRO

and harry_houdini .... dunno but the "water-cooling" scares me .... would like to settle to air cooling

My mind is still open towards changes in
CPU air cooler
PSU also
and anything else

and trying somehow to get good deals (want to lock this in the next few days) ........ If I can save some money here and there, then I definately would like to pick up A LICENSED WINDOWS 7 64-Bit Prof edition .......... what does it cost ? will I be entitled to a free Windows 8 upgrade ?

1. There is so many things to fear in life ,
There is a chance ,
Heavy air coolers can bend your motherboard , pull your socket apart if you horribly mess up the installation , or somehow bump the cabinet from a ridiculously unfortunate angle , etc .

But how many cases have we heard , I have heard about it but extremely rare !! .
Again how many cases of leaks from Corsair H100 and H80 ? . Not extremely rare but rare ! .
I guess its a question of luck , I am one person who can safely say is quite unlucky at times . Still am taking a chance , cant fear too much in life or I wont be able to do anything .
Sorry got a bit philosophical there .

If you search about this on google or any search engine for that matter , you will find huge database . This is one of the biggest disputes in personal computing .
Air Cooler vs closed loop coolers ( Corsair H series , Antech H2O series , etc ) . The more you read , the more you will be confused . So many opinions out there , I had failed to reach a conclusion but then chose what I felt was fine .
Some posts you will read out there have so strong opinion , you will chose not to go with air cooling in your life , another will make you think closed loop coolers are crappy leak prone loud piece of craps only made to extract money from uninformed guys .
Somebody here feels am exaggerating , go read yourself .
So in the end , your choice , please dont come with a stick if unfortunately your cooler leaks :(

2. PSU let me tell you , the Seasonic SS-760km has awesome review on jonnyguru.com , the website was pointed out by @ALPHA17 to me , it is considered to be one of the best websites for reviewing PSU. The Seasonic gold series are built like tanks , as I said if it works , it is the BEST out there without a dispute , no competition Sir ! .
This is just my opinion , service also people are saying its fine in Mumbai but still I would and will go for Corsair AX instead of Seasonic SS-760 KM . Its a real pity , this tank doesnt have such a good service everywhere .
Also there is not much difference in pricing between the 660km and 760km , last time I check was approx 700 bucks . Am sure that wont hurt you much would it ? .
It seems an overkill for you because you will anyways not buy a high end gpu ( 660 ti ? ;) ) , so its your choice , you could chose to save those 700 bucks and get some accessories like wires or a fan ? .

PS : sorry if I sound a bit animated , am very tired and sleepy .

CHANGE IN PLANS :yahoo:
Processor : 3770K or 3770 .... the "hyperthreading" will be useful in some of my apps & may drop the OC option
Motherboard : Gigabyte ..... better for a hackintosh, so suggest any which is below 20K (having the legacy PCI slot)
RAM : 16 GB .... but will decide on which one based on the motherboard QVL compatibility
CABINET : BitFenix Raider Window - Gunmetal Edition or ??
SSD : Intel 520 series 120GB or
OCZ 128GB Vertex 4
........... which is better ?

Could anyone also tell me - If a RAM is chosen which is NOT in the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) of the Manufacturer, then will performance be affected..... eg: For the Asus P8Z77-V PRO board the
G.Skill ARES F3-1866C10D-16GAB; DDR3-1866 MHz (PC3-14900) latency 10-10-10-2N & 8GB x 2 sticks
....which is available here was not listed in the QVL.
What's available is the Ripjaws Z - F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL; DDR3-1866; (PC3 14900); latency 9-10-9-28-2N .... in 4GB x 4 .... NOW this is listed in the QVL
In the Above case Asus list's only 3 G.Skill RAM flavours in the 1866MHz category of which just one is available here.

Thanks

@terence_fdes

I have always chosen rams not in those lists , but never had a problem but then again , if the ram does not work , you cant blame anyome ! .

If you are going for the 3770 , non k version , the CM Hyper 212 evo is more than enough as there will be no OC .
No need to waste 5k on noctua .

CHANGE IN PLANS :yahoo:
Processor : 3770K or 3770 .... the "hyperthreading" will be useful in some of my apps & may drop the OC option
Motherboard : Gigabyte ..... better for a hackintosh, so suggest any which is below 20K (having the legacy PCI slot)
RAM : 16 GB .... but will decide on which one based on the motherboard QVL compatibility
CABINET : BitFenix Raider Window - Gunmetal Edition or ??
SSD : Intel 520 series 120GB or
OCZ 128GB Vertex 4
........... which is better ?

I am sorry, internet connection has been a bug-bear these past few days so was not able to post much, these are my views on your components --

Intel Core i7 3770 -- this should be enough for your usage, over-clocking is seriously not something you should dabble with if you want long lived components, this also means spending less on the motherboard.
ASUS P8H77-V OR GIGABYTE-H77-D3H-MVP -- as you will get a non-k marked processor, these H77 based motherboards should be good.
Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 1600MHz modules -- do not know why you are spending extra on 1866MHz modules, the benefits are not well pronounced from the 1600MHz range. ASUS has a feature called MemOK! on their motherboards that allows the memory to be set to the safest settings and the boot to continue, incompatible modules on GIGABYTE motherboards can cause random freezes and crashes OR no boot issues, so better confirm compatibility before purchasing.
Bit Fenix Raider -- clean looking cabinet, go for it.
SSD -- Avoid both and go for Crucial M4 if possible, the Marvel controller is more reliable. Read up on this Corsair has a new series called Neutron, that is also supposed to be good although I have no clue on its reliability. AnandTech - Corsair Neutron GTX SSD Review (240GB): Link A Media Controller Tested

Any queries please voice them. Cheerio!

Back