Monitors CRT vs LCD Comparison

vij said:
pastry ur point is valid to som,e extent..for serious designers for whom color n light editing on screen is their bread n butter CRTs score over LCDs...Many lighting artists at the studio I woirk in refuse to even work on LCDs if theres a critical shot...
But for general use n any other design work LCDs are the king...
And eyes are precious...more precious than anyth....For me LCDs rule....I do lot of graphic wrk n I love the LCD...
LCDs over CRT anyday for me....

Ever heard of Eizo or NEC or Belinea LCDs? Thats what your artists need... The cheap TN panels available locally are no good.

saumilsingh said:
God forbid you ever have to play anything below the native resolution of your LCD.
I believe the term you will be looking for is 'a horrible blurry mess'. ;)

LCD's are soothing to the eye and look great.
But you have to pay a bomb to get display quality and real estate comparable to your old CRT.

CRT's have impeccable colour reproduction and I can still play Diablo 2. :p

LOL its assumed that u'll be playing at native res obviously... u need video card horsepower thats all. Well here's a challenge... get me one CRT available in India that can compare with my dell lcd in color reproduction. I bet there are none :p. Cos I haven't seen any. I can play D2 as well... all you need to do is give the -window switch on the commandline :p.

I always kept telling you guys CRT's are outdated, i can get the same and better look of the games i play on a lcd.... and the main point is eyesight!.... why should u compromise on cost???.... and nowadays the price isen't that high too...atleast go for a 17"!!!!

I don't think non-native resolutions are that much of a problem.

Anyone who can upgrade his gfx card because he cannot turn on antialiasing in a game, can also do it because he cannot play the game at a higher resolution. And for those who cannot upgrade, playing at non-native res is not that bad either.
Of course non-native resolutions will be of poorer quality just because they are lower resolutions. This problems happens a crt as well. When a widescreen image is shown on a crt, it is cropped too. Zoom in and zoom out on an image on a crt. You will see the image quality degrade. I myself can't tolerate images on my crt when i go below its max res of 1024X768 to 800X600.

If lcd's don't look good at lower resolutions crt's dont either.Theres not much of a difference

BTW here are some screenshots http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=780004
Go buy a lcd. The fact that its easy on the eyes is well worth the price.

Getting an awfully good deal on an AOC 19" widescreen(DVI,500:1,8ms) at a local store($190 with taxes).I think I might just buy it,coz if it has nay flaws I can just return it unlike newegg's '8 dead pixel' policy.

I have a doubt regarding widescreen LCD's. I am currently using a CRT and I watch tv on it thro' my tv tuner card. Now, as I know it tv transmission is standard 4:3 ratio. But widescreen LCD's are 16:9. So what happens while watching tv on widescreen LCD's? Does the picture get compressed?

<<<<<LCD Monitors Pricelist: March 2006>>>>>
Samsung Syncmaster 940N - 19" - 8ms - Rs.24,000
LG L1980Q - 19" - 8ms - Rs.25,000
Asus PW191 - 19" - 8ms - 28,500
Viewsonic VX922 - 19" - 2ms - Rs.26,999 :hap2:
BenQ FP91G - 19" - 12ms - 18,500
Acer 1916 Wide - 19" - 8ms - 19,999

<<<<<CRT Monitors Pricelist: July 2006>>>>>>>
LG 910 E - 19" - Max Resolution: 1600X1200 - Rs.9,190
Acer AC915 - 19" - Max Resolution: 1600X1200 - Rs.11,899
Viewsonic G-90FB - Max Resolution:2048X1536 - Rs.12,000 :hap2:
Philips 109B75 - 19" - Max Resolution:1280X1024 - 12,500

You Can check the Full Price List For CRT And LCD
Information:http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/home.jsp?cat=586

paraman said:
I have a doubt regarding widescreen LCD's. I am currently using a CRT and I watch tv on it thro' my tv tuner card. Now, as I know it tv transmission is standard 4:3 ratio. But widescreen LCD's are 16:9. So what happens while watching tv on widescreen LCD's? Does the picture get compressed?

On mine, you can choose whether to stretch the image or leave black bands on both the sides. I guess it'll be similar on other lcds too.

@Sirus: Dude compare 19" CRTs to 17" LCDs as they have the same viewable area and for ur info, the lcd prices have dropped considerably since march :p.

Back