Camera D3100 arrives!

alex001

Disciple
Yes folks, d3100 is finally here in india. A press release has been issued by nikon india p ltd in this regard.
The best part is price @32950 with kit lens.
Refer this:

tech2.in.com/india/news/slr-digital-cameras/nikon-unveils-dslr-d3100/147742/0

Full fledged reviews are not out till now.. Saw a review in kenrockwell, but can't completely recommend it as the reviewer is a Nikon fan.. I brought my good old D40 considering the over the top review in that site, but it never did disappointed me..

for someone looking for a dslr , its indeed good news.in fact i was planning to purchase 500d tomorrow itself.now i think i ll wait for few days and then take a call.

the sweetest thing about d3100 aren't its features....for me its the price. nikon india has priced it at par with rates as in us or singapore for that matter.now no need to go for grey or worry about paying more for a product that is cheaper abroad.

thumbs up to nikon this time!!!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

adder said:

@adder: thanks mate.you are indeed fast in posting such news.thought this one needed separate thread for its importance.

vinaycm said:
Full fledged reviews are not out till now.. Saw a review in kenrockwell, but can't completely recommend it as the reviewer is a Nikon fan.. I brought my good old D40 considering the over the top review in that site, but it never did disappointed me..
Kenrockwell says the D3100 has lots of rolling shutter ,so a nikon fan says its bad.

And nikon another fan Thom hogan says
"Video sucks. The rolling shutter problem in this sensor is about as bad as I've seen in a DSLR. So panning or moving objects tend to get the "leans" and back and forth panning is like looking into a bowl of Jello during an earthquake. That's a real shame, as the D3100 was looking pretty darned good in both features and performance until I discovered that."

So as far as video it looks like nikon is behind the competition.

Anshul said:
Check out his D3000 review.
He completely ignores good canon dslr's & other brand's dslrs completly in favour of Nikon..

adder said:
Kenrockwell says the D3100 has lots of rolling shutter ,so a nikon fan says its bad.

And nikon another fan Thom hogan says
"Video sucks. The rolling shutter problem in this sensor is about as bad as I've seen in a DSLR. So panning or moving objects tend to get the "leans" and back and forth panning is like looking into a bowl of Jello during an earthquake. That's a real shame, as the D3100 was looking pretty darned good in both features and performance until I discovered that."

So as far as video it looks like nikon is behind the competition.
Its just the video part that's termed as bad in that review.. Not the camera completely.. I didn't check that review indepth, that's why missed the video part (never really cared for the video capability of dslr's anyways)..

I dont know, but it has the main shortcoming of 3k and 5k series. A lot of lenses will be incompatible, especially the cheaper but must have primes. Thats the reason I got a 1000d back in Jan. Right now I would buy the 500D over the Nikon cameras, however if your budget permits it Nikon D90 is simply awesome. I did not realize I would enjoy Photography, else I would have splurged and got the D90 :) I guess will upgrade now once the Canon 7D is refreshed...

Aces170 said:
I dont know, but it has the main shortcoming of 3k and 5k series. A lot of lenses will be incompatible, especially the cheaper but must have primes. Thats the reason I got a 1000d back in Jan. Right now I would buy the 500D over the Nikon cameras, however if your budget permits it Nikon D90 is simply awesome. I did not realize I would enjoy Photography, else I would have splurged and got the D90 :) I guess will upgrade now once the Canon 7D is refreshed...
I dont find any cheap primes other than 50mm f/1.8 that a beginner will be interested in...

We (canon users) has always been pinching it as a short coming but the true fact is that most of the entry level series buyer gets good DX lenses other than a 50mm

Moreover, I had recently read somewhere that prices (indian) of some nikon lenses are reduced by about 20% :)

The 50mm prime according to me is a must have. I have almost stopped using the kit lens after the purchase, infact to any new users, its a must buy. It will teach you the basics of composing and framing the picture, as its focal length is fixed. I simply love the lens, so much so, that I will eventually save up and buy the f1.4 with USM motor too....

Aces170 said:
The 50mm prime according to me is a must have. I have almost stopped using the kit lens after the purchase, infact to any new users, its a must buy. It will teach you the basics of composing and framing the picture, as its focal length is fixed. I simply love the lens, so much so, that I will eventually save up and buy the f1.4 with USM motor too....
Agree U on this part...

Dont remember when last time I mounted my kit lens...

However, another major point is - 75% of time I use manual focus with this lens...

its not that the 50mm f1.8 isn't compatible with d5000, d3100 and d3000. the only thing is that it wont autofocus. all nikon lenses (even the old ones) are compatible with the new dslrs.

Back