Budget 51-70k Decent Laptop for Interior Designer Professional

Hi Folks,

After a long time getting back into the laptop config world as my sis wants a new one for her work. She is a final year interior design student and is facing lot of issues with the current laptop (even after boosting it up with additional RAM and SSD)
  • What's your Budget? (e.g. >30K, not more than 50K etc.) - 70K. Can stretch a bit if something great is there.
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming) - She needs to run softwares such as Adobe InDesign, Autodesk Sketchbook, AutoCAD, Sketch up, Photoshop, Lumion etc.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? (e.g. Do you want a 17" desktop replacement or you want an ultraportable 12" or something in between) - something in between. 14 to 15.6 would be good enough I guess. Any folks from similar background can share their view point.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? (e.g some would prefer to stay away from Acer or Dell) - No preference as such. Just need decent onsite support.
  • Any other considerations? (e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non-widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.) - Good screen is definitely required so that she is at ease while working with different color pallets and multiple design aspects.
I have done my research but seem to be totally lost between intel / ryzen, graphic cards etc.
Need your help folks.

Try getting a ryzen 5 4500U model from Amazon or offline mall. Ram upgrade is limited to 12GB though but it beats even intel core i7 10th Gen laptop. Comparison with ryzen 5 is towards the end of the video. The ryzen 7 ones cost a little above 70k though.

As a student I think she's going to need something portable. Clarify exactly how compact/lightweight this laptop needs to be.

AMD versus Intel is an easy decision right now. Your first choice should always be based on the new 7nm Ryzen 4000 CPUs. The only exception to this rule is if you feel like sacrificing some CPU performance to gain a dedicated GPU for better 3D performance.

Ryzen 5 4600H upgradable to 32GB with nvidia 1650 4GB gpu - ₹64k. Flat 5% no limit discount with Amazon icici card.

What's the difference between Asus TUF and ROG line of gaming laptops?
A student of mine very recently bought a ROG laptop with dual display, it looks really cool.

TUF laptops have had lots of reports of thermal issues.
I've been noticing you post thermal issues about the TUF laptops but not giving any source. I searched Amazon link for the TUF modeli linked for heating issues and...

Screenshot_2020-10-05-10-07-38-234_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

These are from confirmed buyers. Plus Ranjit did an encoding test at full speed in the video I linked above and measured the heat with an infrared thermometer. It was lot more cooler than the 10 th Gen Intel i5 which was at 45+ C near keyboard. So what reviews you saw that you keep saying these have heating issues? I want to see those of possible because I'm considering buying this laptop (or a 4800U model if they become available here) too in coming months or next year.

I've been noticing you post thermal issues about the TUF laptops but not giving any source. I searched Amazon link for the TUF modeli linked for heating issues and...

These are from confirmed buyers. Plus Ranjit did an encoding test at full speed in the video I linked above and measured the heat with an infrared thermometer. It was lot more cooler than the 10 th Gen Intel i5 which was at 45+ C near keyboard. So what reviews you saw that you keep saying these have heating issues? I want to see those of possible because I'm considering buying this laptop (or a 4800U model if they become available here) too in coming months or next year.

ROG models have said to having better thermals than TUF.
Thermal issues start in due time as laptop gets older with dust accumulation.
My ROG in some CPU intensive games reach 90. GPU is around 70

ROG models have said to having better thermals than TUF.
Thermal issues start in due time as laptop gets older with dust accumulation.
My ROG in some CPU intensive games reach 90. GPU is around 70
Well the same can be said about Intel laptops (or any other laptops) too since they are running on older gen 10nm or higher and are already running hotter than the ryzen CPUs even when new. Do we get ROG models in 70k max? I'm waiting for the 4800U chip which is faster than Intel i9 11th gen. Weirdly it's only been launched in china by Lenovo.

Last edited:

^ That's a good start. You're not likely to notice thermal issues in regular usage due to the way modern processors boost/throttle. Thermal performance is relative and while there are some instances where it is objectively bad, the TUF has alternatives that are better for not much more. I have also looked at anecdotes shared by people for my assessment, only with a much larger sample size. There's a pretty heavy dose of confirmation bias affecting most buyers.

The video you're referring to compares U series parts. Not really sure how that's relevant here. AMD's processors are better in just about every way that matters. We aren't talking about the processors but the chassis and its thermal management.

Last edited:
From my past experience working on 3ds max and maya they both rely on processor rather then graphics card. For your budget you won't get a i9 or similar ryzen but more the cores the better it would be.

Also considering laptops for graphics and 3d would make them run pretty high temp. I have a 8750h in my laptop, on load despite full fans it reaches 93 to 95 under room temperature.

The video you're referring to compares U series parts. Not really sure how that's relevant here.
The YT video you say Asus TUF have bad thermal issues is an H series model. If my linked U model is not relevant, so what series are you talking about when you say Asus laptops have heating issues? All the 4*** H series - TUF and ROG laptop models which have extra gpu and run hotter than U series models which have integrated gpu? Most of these laptop models are 35+W models and way above the OP's max budget of 70k. Even your website link recommendations has just one laptop in 70k range - the HP 15-ec1024AX. Rest go way above the OP's budget from 80k to 2 lacs.

^ That's a good start. You're not likely to notice thermal issues in regular usage due to the way modern processors boost/throttle. Thermal performance is relative and while there are some instances where it is objectively bad, the TUF has alternatives that are better for not much more. I have also looked at anecdotes shared by people for my assessment, only with a much larger sample size.

I saw that youtuber's video months back when it came out. It is a H series model and not relevant here because that model is not available in India.
Code:
ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz FHD IPS-Type, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD, Gigabit Wi-Fi 5, Windows 10 Home, FA506IH-AS53

The laptop I linked above is -
Code:
ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD 144Hz Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB Graphics (8GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-AL057T
See difference? 8GB graphics and 512GB SSD in USA vs 4GB graphics and 256GB SSD in India.
The body design and thermals for the Indian models are also probably different than the USA model.

Also his disclaimer:
Screenshot_2020-10-06_11-11-54.png

In one of his newer videos, he lists the Asus TUF gaming A15 Ryzen 5 4600H model (same model in your linked video which he says to never buy) , in his top gaming laptops of 2020. The 4600H model last line is probably another TUF model. :rolleyes:

Screenshot_2020-10-06_11-07-15.png

There's a pretty heavy dose of confirmation bias affecting most buyers.
So we should take people's reviews with a grain of salt just because they bought the laptop? The lone HP model in your site has reviews from people who bought it and say it does not have heating issues. Lets disregard those because those are just confirmation bias and don't hold weight. If we cannot trust people who bought it then we cannot trust people who did not buy it!

What about reviewer's and viewer bias who haven't bought the laptop? Why should those matter?

Thanks guys. Your inputs really helped me.
Though many of you mentioned to wait till diwali sale, my sis was not so patient and went ahead with our collective recommendation :D

This is what she chose as compared to different models from Asus & Acer. Main point of differentiation was all metal structure, looks and that 144 hz screen (that really sealed the deal for her).
Thanks again !!

Though many of you mentioned to wait till diwali sale, my sis was not so patient and went ahead with our collective recommendation :D

This is what she chose as compared to different models from Asus & Acer. Main point of differentiation was all metal structure, looks and that 144 hz screen (that really sealed the deal for her).
Thanks again !!

Looks good. You can add more ram if needed. also companies provide extended warranty deals. See if acer is giving one

Thanks again !!

Ordered from Amazon itself?

The YT video you say Asus TUF have bad thermal issues is an H series model. If my linked U model is not relevant, so what series are you talking about when you say Asus laptops have heating issues? All the 4*** H series - TUF and ROG laptop models which have extra gpu and run hotter than U series models which have integrated gpu? Most of these laptop models are 35+W models and way above the OP's max budget of 70k. Even your website link recommendations has just one laptop in 70k range - the HP 15-ec1024AX. Rest go way above the OP's budget from 80k to 2 lacs.

I saw that youtuber's video months back when it came out. It is a H series model and not relevant here because that model is not available in India.
Code:
ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz FHD IPS-Type, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD, Gigabit Wi-Fi 5, Windows 10 Home, FA506IH-AS53

The laptop I linked above is -
Code:
ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD 144Hz Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB Graphics (8GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-AL057T
See difference? 8GB graphics and 512GB SSD in USA vs 4GB graphics and 256GB SSD in India.
The body design and thermals for the Indian models are also probably different than the USA model.

Also his disclaimer:
View attachment 91416

In one of his newer videos, he lists the Asus TUF gaming A15 Ryzen 5 4600H model (same model in your linked video which he says to never buy) , in his top gaming laptops of 2020. The 4600H model last line is probably another TUF model. :rolleyes:

View attachment 91415

So we should take people's reviews with a grain of salt just because they bought the laptop? The lone HP model in your site has reviews from people who bought it and say it does not have heating issues. Lets disregard those because those are just confirmation bias and don't hold weight. If we cannot trust people who bought it then we cannot trust people who did not buy it!

What about reviewer's and viewer bias who haven't bought the laptop? Why should those matter?
Every gaming laptop features an H series part. Hence your video with the U parts was not relevant, firstly because of the low-power parts and secondly because of not featuring the chassis in question.

Each country gets a somewhat difference spec but I can assure you that the chassis and cooling hardware stays constant. I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt that you don't actually think the US version has 8GB graphics and that was just a typo. The only thing that changes is amount of RAM/SSD size, along with choice of CPU/GPU for each variant.

^ This should hopefully answer the question about why the model in the video is relevant. The entire A15 line uses the same chassis.

Here's the video you were referring to, specifically from the point the TUF is mentioned. If you watch the video, you'll notice he recommends against it:-
You took a screenshot of a description that simply lists all the models mentioned in the video. Mentions are not recommendations. It doesn't matter if there's a much better laptop for an extra 50 dollars if you don't have the extra $50. There is a difference between terrible, passable and optimal:-
There are 2 laptops that can be dismissed from contention quite easily, one is the ASUS TUF Gaming A15, which as we've talked about, does have some serious downsides... it runs hot, loud and has a woeful display... - Quote from the video ~7:30.

I think we should take everything into account in proportion to their value; user reviews, professional reviews, objective data and anecdotes. None of them is the be-and-end-all. Recommendations are only valid in a snapshot of time and at this point in time, there are better alternatives to the TUF series (including the one the OP picked). Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Looks good. You can add more ram if needed. also companies provide extended warranty deals. See if acer is giving one
Yep did both of them. Ram upgraded to 16 gigs and on site warranty till 3 years
Ordered from Amazon itself?
Local shop. As mentioned, my sis was low on patience.

Total cost including the laptop + ram upgrade + on site warranty + lamination etc = 80k

Back