DEFY vs Xperia X10

NDragger

Disciple
I have been reading various threads and posts about DEFY and decided to go for it but unfortunately it was out of stock :(
I saw a good offer SE Xperia X10 @ Rs 16000/-
Xperia has pros over Defy faster processor, big screen and yes today SE rolled out GingerBread Update.
so should i still go for Defy or Xperia X10.
and one more question, Letsbuy coupon code ( ICICILB) works with cash on delivery ?

Xperia X10 has only 384 MB RAM which is the biggest downer .. and the outdated Adreno 200 GPU.

So forget gaming.

DEFY has the OMAP 3610 with 800 Mhz Core and SX530 GPU which performs much better than the Xperia does, even at Stock.

also DEFY can be easily overclocked to 1Ghz so that should settle that.

DEFY has a much tougher build, rather the most rugged droid in the market and is totally weather proof.

DEFY also has CM7 (2.3.4) ported to it and works great.

DEFY offers more performance in a smaller, pocketable package.

The convinience of not carrying around pouches and screen guards is nice.

+1 DEFY

It depends on your requirements. Defy overall is a better model hardware wise despite having only 800 mhz. But each model has its own advantages.

I have personally used Xperia X10 for a week and was satisfied with it. Do not expect it to be a gaming machine as Adrenos 200 gpu has its weakness. The most I liked about Sony X10 was its 8 MP camera/video recording, excellent processor that is fast for functions other than gaming, Excellent form factor and also good UI. But if gaming is part of your regular usage, you might dislike Xperia X10 instantly due to Adrenos 200 gpu. It does play older games with ease, Just not the newer ones that are becoming more 3d intensive. Even though RAM is only 384mb, it breezes through regular functions with ease. I was still able to play some games with ease like Asphalt 5, Hero of Sparta and Crusade of Destiny.

I have never used Defy, but had a chance to hold it and test it. It is rugged and tougher build as all the other members have said. It does last you longer than Xperia X10 despite heavy usage. Also the custom mod is available for this phone that gives you option to overclock it or tweak its performance for getting maximum output. But keep in mind, that even though Defy's gpu is better than Adrenos 200, but not by much. So do not expect that Defy will have huge gaming performance gains compared to Xperia X10 It uses Powervr sgx 530 which is inferior to Apple Iphone 4's GPU or Galaxy S GPU or even Adrenos 205. Other performances is equal to Xperia X10.

CPU processing wise 1st generation Qualcomm snapdragon QSD 8250 (one that X10 has) is much better than Hummingbird or TI. Only in GPU qualcomm has its weakness. So for general purposes I would choose Qualcomm. If you are interested in gaming, why not choose hummingbird or even second generation Qualcomm processor that comes packed with Adrenos 205, which is much better than Defy's GPU.

Sorry for long post. In conclusion if you decide with either, you will not go wrong. It just depends on your requirements. Like said before, If gaming is part of your regular usage, then look for phones with hummingbird processor coupled with sgx540 or second generation qualcomm scorpion coupled with Adrenos 205.

X10 is pretty much EOL as of now ..

DEFY is still going fresh and will have longer community support.

X10 like typical of Sony has emphasis on Camera & Music .. the Stock interface is much better than Moto's.

I'm not too sure about the improvements that GB will bring to the aging Xperia .. because the stock 2.1 interface is very slow and laggy.

If you want to game, tweak and have an outdoorsy lifestyle then DEFY fits the bill ..

DEFY's cam sucks in low light conditions .. music output is Ok-Good ..

@NDragger: If you are into gaming why not Spice Mi-410 for 13k. I do not know if you know about it. It is a Hauwei X6 model rebranded and sold in different countries. In India, the model is rebranded as spice mi-410 which is out now and in the future it is going to be released as another rebranded model as olive smart vs300.

The reason to buy this: 4.1 inch screen, 512mb ram, 2gb ROM, 1 ghz qualcomm scorpion processor (MSM8255) with Adrenos 205 gpu. The same cpu/gpu combo is found in Xperia Play, Xperia Arc, Desire HD, Desire S, Incredible S etc. Adrenos 205 gpu is far more better than Defy and is almost equal to powervr sgx540 gpu. Since xperia play has same hardware, games that are compatible with play can be easily played in mi-410. And games will be released for Xperia Play.

But hey at the end of all this, It is your satisfaction that matters. So if you are set with Defy, then go for it ;)

^^Its not some,almost everyone is facing some or other hardware issues,cant really recommend such a device but still its personal choice and people may still go for it.

Coming back to the topic x10 is a nice phone in its own right. One of the better cameras in android plus decent community support. Unfortunately when I used it I found the earpiece volume during calls to be quite low. I mean low enough to not be used comfortably outdoors. Battery life was standard for 1st gen snapdragon around 12 hours. But the phone was pretty fast even with android 1.6. I have heard it's become slower after eclair update, but you can always go custom route. Anyway for 16k the phone is not at all recommended esp without warranty. Defy at 14 k with warranty is much better buy.

Back