Laptops Dell 1520 90-watt Power Adapter Bust

My Dell 1520's 90-watt power adapter has gone bust. Here's the part number: LA90PS1-00

1) Now, I have a 3 year warranty coverage, is the power adapter covered for 3 years too? I know the battery isn't.

2) Can it be repaired or is it advisable to get a new one?

3) Where should I get one? or should I get it directly from Dell. Dell is infamous for charging a bomb for accessories. Anyway, I will call them and check that out too.

Please help me with your suggestions. Thanks.

i bought old dell Adapter of a busted laptop from a repair guy at nehru place for 500 bucks... the all dell adapters i have seen till now 90watt ones and 65 watt ones are same for all their laptops (Not claiming ... just saying seen till now)... dell autho. dealers was asking for 2250/- ... (Only in my opinion their older adapters were better build quality thicker wires and more sturdy looking) i think you should try nehru place....

PS: fixed Dell adapters for 2 of my friends laptop... for some weird reason both had shorted wires... wires are 2 core and 1 mesh on them... guessinf 12v + 5v + grnd mesh usually is the one that shorts and burns out... so take a chisel / Wide minus screwdriver and a hammer and cut open adapter to see if you can see short wires... join them and problem fixed...

SauravR said:
i bought old dell Adapter of a busted laptop from a repair guy at nehru place for 500 bucks... the all dell adapters i have seen till now 90watt ones and 65 watt ones are same for all their laptops (Not claiming ... just saying seen till now)... dell autho. dealers was asking for 2250/- ... (Only in my opinion their older adapters were better build quality thicker wires and more sturdy looking) i think you should try nehru place....

PS: fixed Dell adapters for 2 of my friends laptop... for some weird reason both had shorted wires... wires are 2 core and 1 mesh on them... guessinf 12v + 5v + grnd mesh usually is the one that shorts and burns out... so take a chisel / Wide minus screwdriver and a hammer and cut open adapter to see if you can see short wires... join them and problem fixed...

Sounds awesome. I am going to do that.....Its worth a try anyway :).....Will post the details after the endeavor.

@ SauravR, are the adapters of your friends working fine after that?

Besides, I am curious, why are they made in such a way that you have to break them open. One apparent reason that comes to my mind is that the company doesn't deem them to be repairable and wants you to get a new one. Any thoughts on that?

Back