Laptops Dell 1520 configuration: which options to choose ?

virtuoso015

Disciple
Hey guys, am thinking of ordering a 1520 this month. Just wanted to discuss some of the stuff in the configuration.

my config :

Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo Processor T7300
Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium - with AERO experience
1-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day Service - parts & labour)
15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife (TM)
1GB (2 X 512MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
nVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) Go 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR2
120GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
Dell(TM) Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card
9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

This come to about 65k with delivery charges but excluding tax, when configured online.
I would be using this system for moderate gaming , movies and lots of surfing and reading stuff.

What i would like to know is
a)Is the t7300 processor worth the money?
Should i downgrade to a processor like the t5450 (which is considerably cheaper :D ) ?

b)is the WXGA(1280x800) enough or should i go for wxga+(1440x900) ?
I am afraid the higher resolution might be a strain on the eye while reading text but may provide better picture quality in games.

c)i have opted for a 5400 rpm hard drive? will it be considerably slower than a 7200rpm hard disk. Also, does a 7200rpm harddisk, generate considerably more heat and noise ?

d) How much tax is actually added to the online price ?

e)Finally and most importantly, are there any discount coupon codes available for dell applicable in india ?

1. depends on the applications u plan to run on ur lappy..u cud look at the 7100 for about 4-5k less..the 7100 and 7300 proccys are definitely faster then the 5450..i think the 7100 wud be a good option..

2. go for the WXGA+ . . its worth the money..and it isnt that expensive either, to go in for the upgrade(1800 bucks.. :bleh:)..

3. upgrading to the 5400 rpm drive wud cost u a bomb and the performance gain is not worth the money..u cud always buy an external 7200 rpm drive..

4. call up a DELL executive and tell him to include the taxes in the existing quote itself..:D

5. call up 2 or 3 DELL executives and ask them for a quote for the lappy..ask them how much discount they can give u...u will be surprised how u can bargain with them :)

Another suggestion:

go in for the 1-year complete cover option..for just a 1000 bucks more, its a great deal..they will replace ur laptop in case of any accidental damage..

and in case u see urself using this lappy for a long time, and the handling is going to be rough..then i wud suggest to go in for the 3-year complete cover option..

btw...wat color are u opting for :D

btw..

also include the Sound Blaster Audigy HD Audio software...(all that hullabaloo for a software upgrade..)

suggesting it cos its relatively inexpensive.. :)

Thanks for the quick reply...

I'm still deciding between the midnight blue and the ruby red :)

Also, how do i go about calling up different executives, any special phone nos ?

Also, how much do u suggest i bargain for ? 5k less on the price or more ;)

lol..

5k wud be a bit too much i guess..ask them for the best price, and bargain unless he/she says he/she cant reduce any further :D

u shud be able to get a discount around 2k at least...give it a shot..

try looking in the local newspapers for more help..

they have a toll free number..i dont remember that..

lemme know if u cant find any..i'll give u one by monday..u cant call them before that anyways :bleh:

is it possible to get a dell 1520 w/o windows vista and instead ubuntu....recently i ve heard news tht dell pcs r seelling with ubuntu but nowhere to be seen in the customization

Dell Inspiron E1505N comes with Ubuntu 7.04. I don't think u can get a Dell 1520 with Ubuntu. U'll need to install it on ur own on 1520.

@Baasha, DId you call them for quotation? I hope you will certainly get some discount. Not too much but difinitely approx 2000. I heard from so many person about this even a man was able to get 7000 discount on a 40000 Monitor but it was high end product where Dell or any other company have high margin but in this case 2000 you may get. I like same color choice whatever you decided I am also hoping to order in by end of this month.

Hi

I am getting following @ 55808 INR. No Service Tax No VAT and No Octroi

Ruby Red Color with Microsatin Finish and camera
Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo Processor T5250
Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium - with AERO experience
1 Year CompleteCover
15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) Display with TrueLife(TM)
1GB (2 X 512MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Integrated Stereo Sound
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR2 dedicated graphic memory
160GB SATA Hard Drive
Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
Dell(TM) Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card
Is this is good Deal? I tried calling couple of Sales Reps but no one is offering me any additional discount over what they already have on the site

Thanks

Back