Dell BH 200 Review- A TE Exclusive

Hi Folks !!
I am back after a very long time with a product review.
The Dell BH 200,a brilliant product and sadly no single review on the www, not fair !
Thank You Raghu for the the prompt delivery and excellent packaging.

Test Setup...
Dell BH 200
Sony Ericcson W950i (Walkman v 2.0, Supports A2DP with stereo music streaming)

The package ...
No foam or anything to cushion the headsets which are pretty delicate themselves, that is the one and only gripe I have with this product.
But the box is purr-fect, when I don't use the headphones (very rare) I can put it in the box and keep the tiny box in my backpack.

What u get ...
One Dell BH 200
One USB Charger
User Manual

Design and Size...
Perfection personified I would say, in Female lingua "cute".
Raghu's pics did scare me initially,I thought I am gonna end up wearing something bulky (and fughly), something which would be all functionality and zero on form, but...Surprise Surprise !!! these are small and can be conveniently folded and kept in your jeans, though I recommend you to persist with the box.
The Design of the BH-200 leaves no room for complains, its thoughtfully designed unlike the S9 which only looks cool on the drawing board, the S9 tends to protrude beyond the dimensions of the skull that to me doesn't look cool.
The overall circumference of the Dell is much lesser than the S9 and the added advantage with the Dell is that they are foldable.
There are two LED's, one indicating the bluetooth activities and the other for indicating battery (full/low/chargings!)
All controls are conveniently placed on the right ear piece.
The usb charging point is well concealed within the right ear pad.
Rating 5/5 ..Reason:Even God woudn't have bettered it.

Range...
10 meters in a straight line (din't use a tape but tried it out on the terrace over a fair distance which seemed as good as 10+meters), like any other bluetoth device walls and similar obstructions do dent the range.
Still not bad, cause most of the time my cell is (now)gonna be in my backpack.
Rating 5/5 ..Reason: On par with other bluetooth devices.

Sound Quality...
My W950i streams stereo music so sound quality is top notch, I used to have a EP-630 which I sold of because the cable of the EP-630+W950i added together was a BIGG mess, I wouldn't compare these since both cater to different requirements, I tried the motorola S9 in a shop and the sound quality of the S9 in comparison with the Dell is really poor.As pointed by fellow TE members even I noticed the headsets BASS heavy, but I love the sound quality ... really good.
Though adequate for most, I need more volume because I am used to listening at a very high volume.
Rating :4.5/5 ... (Personal perception)Need more Volume

Build Quality...
Though this is a very subjective I rate the Dell higher than the S9, the plastic is almost the same on both, but the Dell excites the skin cells and sends better perceptive signals to brain over the bony S9.
Rating 5/5 ..Reason: Personal perception

Comfort...
This is where the Dell is a clear winner, the ear pads have a comforting cushion, which neither the S9 nor the EP-630 have.
When I am not using the BH-200 I just let them hand around in my neck, something I couldn't do with the EP-630.
Rating 5/5 ..Reason: Personal perception

General Usage...

Again simply brilliant .. you can control the following using the buttons on the right head set.
Track Next/Previous/Play/Pause
Volume Up/DOwn (for calls as well as music)
Receive/Reject Calls
Redial last number
Mute a call
Call Swap
The quality of sound during calls is brilliant sadly the same cannot be said about the microphone embedded in the right ear pad, to be honest its good because my bro told me he can hear very little background noise,its just that you have to speak (comparatively louder) on these, since there is good background isolation I rate them good else I would rate them average.
I tried a test with a Vodafone call center executive and spoke almost in a whispering tone for 5mins, he din't complain even once, so I think its just a matter of getting used to it.
The microphone is good just not perfect like the unit.
Rating 4.5/5 ..Reason: All phone/music controlling features provided convinently,the microphone unit seems outsourced from.

Battery (approx)...

Standby 150Hrs
Talktime 12Hrs
Music Streaming 8Hrs
Above data is provided by Dell and I haven't verified these, but the above data is within 15 accuracy.
Rating 5/5 .. Reason: My phone battery dries up before the Dell BH 200 (I usually multitask a lot and the huge screen at full brightness is a battery sucker).

Price...
My friend just got a Dell XPS 1530 with which he got the BH200 for free and when I told him I am buying one, he said it was impossible because its a Dell accessory and cannot be purchased seperately and then I told him its a GO on TE and then he had a (jealous)smile.
The motorola S9 costs approx Rs3000 (I aint very sure about the price),the cheapest Jabra single eared Bluetooth handsfree comes for approx Rs1300 with no A2DP nothing.
The Dell BH 200 cost me Rs1800+Rs100(shipping from Banglore), at that price I think it is a steal.
Rating 5/5 .. Reason: Value for money.

Pics sourced from Raghu's GO

Conclusion: The best Bluetooth handsfree with A2DP for the price.
This is Abhishek signing off for TE, i hope you enjoyed reading the review.

Very impressive review!! Any clue if it can be paired with an IPhone [A2DP]? As you've mentioned it is shipped alongwith an XPS...is it also shipped with Dell Inspiron 1525 or is it optional?...i have ordered one 1525 but not sure if its included in it :ashamed:

damn !!!.. i dont really need to go to engadget for reviews now :hap2: ..
very nice review.. just a small query.. maybe a stupid one.. but are they better than the crossroad mylarones !? :ashamed:

Purva said:
Very impressive review!! Any clue if it can be paired with an IPhone [A2DP]? As you've mentioned it is shipped alongwith an XPS...is it also shipped with Dell Inspiron 1525 or is it optional?...i have ordered one 1525 but not sure if its included in it :ashamed:

Nope it wouldn't be included but u'll get the EP630 IEM I believe. :)

Raghunandan has a GO for the BH200 here: http://www.techenclave.com/hot-deals-and-discussions/go-deal-dell-bh200-bluetooth-2-a-105980.html

And AFAIK it should work with any device which's A2DP compatible;

very nice review.. just a small query.. maybe a stupid one.. but are they better than the crossroad mylarones !?

Thats indeed a stupid query mate; Comparing the mylarones in terms of these?? :lol:

backtoexistence said:
mylarones are better ??

Obviously dude!! Those're IEMs and hw do u go about comparing with these???

The X3is and the Xbis even surpass the EP630s which might even sound better than the BH200. :)

BH 200 is not for audiophiles ... as I have mentioned in my review I don't want to get into comparison of the EP630/X3i's/XBi's etc cause they cater to different segments.

The BH 200 is for a wireless experience with moderate sound quality(compared to the EP30/Mylar's etc).

The iphone doesn't support A2DP, you can use these with the iphone for calls though.

Thansk for the review dude :)

But i'd rate it as 5/5 on teh volume dept.. it is loud enough :) your rating of 4.5 is because you say you like very loud music i guess, but this headphones are, to me, loud enough.

and build-wise, i wouldnt give it a 5/5. the usb charging port, though well concealed, is concealed with the kinda plastic that has me worrign when it'll pop out for good. and i find the folding of the headsest to be scary.. every time i fold it, i'm afraid i'm gonna break it :|

but value wise i'd give it a 5/5 .. seriously worth it when looking at the current competition. ( the s9 was quoted as rs.3200 to a friend recently)

Update on the battery guys:

Charged the BH 200 last on Saturday evening, today (Tuesday) the battery low light is blinking.

In the meantime I have charged my cell phone thrice.

the prices appear to have fallen . It was about 2.7k a week ago, is now 1.6k. I just bought one for the heck of it while ordering my laptop :p

Back