Dell E248WFP 24" LCD: Full HD Goodness For All!

Here's an off-the-cuff review, don't expect anything in-depth or professional. Plus, I don't have a decent digital camera to post pics, other owners on TE have done or can do that.

Update: ShakenSoul has posted pics and comments in post #10 below. Also check his post in the show-off section at http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/yeh-dil-maange-more-106886.html

So here goes:

Initial Impression:

First off, this is replacing a 3 year old 17" LG LCD, and the size of this monster has blown me away :eek:hyeah: I intentionally controlled the urge to upgrade to a 19 or 22 incher, eyeing and waiting almost a year to get this model!

Unboxing:

When I got my hands on the package it was surprisingly lightweight and for a while I was thinking I got an empty box! The LCD is very light for it's size.

I gingerly unpacked the thing, clipped on the stand and hooked it up to my PC and took down the brightness/contrast to 50% each, colour RGB I left at 100% each. My eyes almost popped outta their sockets coz the screen looks so huge and wide to me.

Testing 1, 2, 3:

My first and foremost concern with nearly 2.2 megapixels on this thing: I spent a few minutes looking for dead/stuck pixels by running the default WinXP screensaver (mostly black background) and also loading up a full-screen all-white image, don't see any right now :hap2:

Update: I've had this LCD powered on now for the whole day without any screensaver/DPMS power-off enabled and I don't see any heat issues if I place my hands over the vents at the back.

Screen fill modes:

Next, I quickly tested the various screen fill modes, "1:1", "4:3", "16:9" and the default "Fill". I prefer to keep it at the 1:1 setting for now in case I need lower resolutions.

Video/Graphics:

Then, I fired up MPlayer and loaded up, what else, "Elephants Dream" :) And it is OMFG OMFG GORGEOUS FULL HD GOODNESS! :bleh:

My poor old P4 2.4 can't seem to handle the other 1080p clips I have like the Beowulf and Indiana Jones 4 trailers, heh. So I am waiting to upgrade my desktop before I can try any games at WUXGA (1920x1200) resolution. But I expect games (and certainly videos) will look super on this LCD.

Update: I just booted into Ubuntu and ran the GLGears and Planetary Gears fast-ish moving screensavers and the edges of the gears appeared (casual visual inspection) sharp and ghosting-free to me.

Update: Downloaded the trial versions of PassMark MonitorTest and DisplayMate and ran their tests, all look okay to me. There was this horizontal sliding/moving squares test in PassMark where the vertical edges of the squares were uneve (tearing?) but I believe this is due to my graphics card and the lack of double/triple buffering.

Caution:

Now, before you all go rushing out to buy one of these for yourselves, let me caution you on a few potential let-downs, even though these don't bother me:

This is a TN panel, and you can clearly see the colour/brightness shifts if you move your head around, although it's very minor, IMHO. Being a TN panel makes it much more affordable compared to the IPS/PVA panels which are mostly popular with the likes of picky/choosy graphic designers and the sort that need better (near-CRT) colour/image quality.

The upper half of the screen is a bit dimmer than the lower half and I have to keep the screen near vertical (and kinda "looking down" at it a bit) to minimise that.

Update: Looks like I get best results if I place my face about 1.5 feet in front and center of the screen, but there's no hard and fast need for me to do it.

Backlight bleed:

Also, there is a little backlight bleed all over the screen, but I'm right now sitting at 1am with dim CFL lighting in my room, so I don't expect it to be a problem during the daytime.

Note that these issues are noticeable mostly while just browsing or working on documents and stuff like that, but like I wrote above, watching videos (and I expect games too) the display is very good IMHO.

Update: The backlight bleed is barely noticeable at all during the daytime. I have also set the RGB levels to 100 each, brightness to 10 and contrast to 45 to make viewing a Word doc seem similar to looking at a real printed paper doc :)

Suggestion:

If you're accustomed to an IPS or PVA panel (Dell UltraSharp kinda model) then I would suggest you stay away from this and get the UltraSharp 2408 PVA panel or something like that if you want Full HD yourself :)

Summary:

I personally already like this monitor a lot, especially since I've been staring at a 17" TN panel for the last 3 yrs :D Now my office 17 incher will look really puny on Monday I'm sure.

FULL HD GOODNESS FTW!

Update: Here is a review where the BenQ G2400W just beats out a Dell E248WFP :) See The Amazing HD Gaming Monitor Shootout! . Both LCDs can be gotten from the "Hot Deals" section in this forum!

phew i saw this monitor personally at croma today!!! was lucky it was on display, the guy at the counter didnt know the model number even though the properties in the ATI control panel clearly said it was an E24WFP ... used it for browsing, played some vids, no hd content mind you, they only had some sample vids which was on low quality sadly. but anyways overall use, i found it extremely awesome! man i am so buying this monitor soon :D

Edit: it looks so much moe bigger than the 22 incher, man i was amazing at the size of this monster!

the price the guy said was around 19-20K all inclusive.. was in a hurry so didnt ask much, offcourse those guys were plain dumb too.. but ah well.

just wanted to ask? how do those DVD RIps look on this lcd? do they look alright?fine? stretched? not worth it??

chic_magnet said:
the price the guy said was around 19-20K all inclusive.. was in a hurry so didnt ask much, offcourse those guys were plain dumb too.. but ah well.
just wanted to ask? how do those DVD RIps look on this lcd? do they look alright?fine? stretched? not worth it??

please for our all sake can u plz get the prices of all DELL LCD`s.
and also ask them for the warranty period !

if they are offerin an E248WFP @ 19k with 5yrs warranty..
then i must say its a very good deal :D

thanks tushar. you will also enjoy your 24 incher for sure :)

@chic_magnet: DVD rips (those 700mb files) look a bit blurry at full screen if you sit too close (less than 2 feet) to the screen, move back a foot or 2 and they look fine. Of course, high-res video looks sweet (720p or 1080p). The video does not get stretched or anything because the software video player (VLC, KMP etc) does the correct zooming/scaling for fullscreen... if you have a 1080p widescreen clip there are black bands at the top and bottom, if you have a regular non-widescreen (square) clip then there are black bands on the left and right portions of the screen, no stretching or distortion.

@dingemini312. Hmmm dont think they had the prices for all LCDs. I think we had to fill out a form online and then they would let us know about the price of the LCD we choose. But the next time i Go i will surely ask em.

@vishalrao - thanks for the update. Me too looking forward to buying the 24 inch lcd. :D

Back