Laptops Dell Inspiron 14 3421 won't boot at all

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
It was working fine up until this morning till I saw the BSOD with some kernel security error. It got stuck at around 80% memory dump so I restarted. It was booting and the Windows update patches started off. Again the same BSOD appeared and it shut down.

Since then there is no life when I press the power button. All I see is two LEDs flash for a second and a click sound.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot at my end or go directly to Dell service center.

Your OS installation can be corrupt because of bad restart or updating patches error.
however clicking sound indicates hard disk fault.

Can you try removing the hdd and checking with another system.
If not then service center is the option to go for.
Still in warranty or not ?

Do you see the Dell logo at boot up and are you able to go it bios? If you are, it almost certainly is a hard disk failure, and I hope you have backed up your data, if you haven't then exercise caution, dont boot with the current drive anymore, get new/spare and try, there still might be a chance that you can recover some of the data on the old drive

A hard disk failure should still go past the BIOS and give the No OS found message. A single click sound could just be the hard disk head unloading. Is there any activity like the heatsink fan whirring when you press the power button?

^ Not really, if it doesn't detect it in time it skips it. This is a problem with some drives that take a long time to spin up; thats why you have BIOS options like staggered spin up or longer disk timeouts.

A hard disk failure should still go past the BIOS and give the No OS found message. A single click sound could just be the hard disk head unloading. Is there any activity like the heatsink fan whirring when you press the power button?
I guess that was it. The head unloading. Because absolutely nothing used to happen except the LED flashing for a fraction of a second.

However the good news is that when I today tried to push the power button out of sheer hopeless optimism, it started working! :confused::woot: I have no clue what happened as I did not even plug the laptop in to the charger so it could not have been the power issue too. And yesterday it was not booting up even when plugged in.

i have the same error on Inspiron 14 3421 cause of system and admin password time out on bios setting. When i complete the unlock all password on bios and it show unlock state of all password. and i saved and out F10 ,after reboot screen show dell logo at post then automatically to the bios without booting any media. i plug out the power cord shutdown and trying again,but not solved to boot and stuck at bios. Finally i remove the battery for 15mins and press power btm 10s, then put it back and power on ,its Solved (#without removing cmos batt on board#)} end }

Back