Laptops Dell Inspiron 7559 upgrade laptop or buy new?

_Root_

Disciple
My wife is using Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 for office work connecting via Citrix and casual shopping. Lately it has become dead slow which is impacting her work and mainly irritating her and I am at the receiving end :(

I tried formatting and keeping only required programs, but did not help for more than a month. Back in the day when I had some issue with laptop, the repair guys stole one memory (RAM) card and SSD which was unnoticed by me before it was too late.

image.png

CPU-Z TXT (Attached)

It is a six year old laptop which will be used only for her office work until her WFH days so is it recommend to upgrade or buy a new laptop? Physically the laptop is perfect, last year Dell replaced my motherboard, screen, hinges for ₹900

If I need to upgrade please guide me on what all will I need to change, what config and approx how much will it cost.

Attachments

• DELL-PC.TXT
    19.2 KB · Views: 81
Why didnt your caught hold of that guy who stole the stuff? Ram and ssd doesn't come for cheap!
8gb memory is sufficient for citrix as even we used it on 8gb i3 laptop and no issues as everything happens o the citrix vdi assigned to us.
What other stuff have you installed after a fresh format? If its not on ssd as if is running hdd then firstly change/swap in an ssd and feel the difference.
Secondly, ensure no startup apps/programs are running esp. any av or other stuff.
Post task manager screenshot as to whats consuming the entire memory.

Agree with what nRiTeCh has recommended.

The CPU is probably not a bottleneck for these simple tasks.

It appears the system has 8GB RAM. The best upgrade right now would be add more RAM.
Also, if it is currently running on HDD, put in a SDD.

Why didnt your caught hold of that guy who stole the stuff? Ram and ssd doesn't come for cheap!
Its long story where my friend gave laptop at dell service center w/o collecting receipt so we had no evidence etc etc

Buy a cheap SSD and install windows on that, you should be fine.
Which SSD would you recommend? First amazon result gave me this

The best upgrade right now would be add more RAM.
How do I check which RAM I need to add?

Decent choice on a budget!
You don't need a RAM upgrade if you browse the web with at most 8-10 tabs open.
I doubt there are so many tabs open first I will shift from Chrome to Brave browser.

I will upgrade to SSD first and can I "transfer" OS there or I will need to format and reinstall?

I usually don't recommend a complete upgrade where partial upgrades will do the job, but in this case, I would say you should change the laptop if you can afford to.

The only reason being that this is a work laptop. We spend 6-8 hours a day actively working on our work laptops. And we need complete peace of mind for this. It's not like watching a movie where you just play the movie and leave it running. You are actively doing something constantly. So it's very important that the laptop run smoothly.

I wouldn't say this if the laptop wad 3 years old, but it's 6 years old and processors don't continue performing at their peak for so long. The average score on passmark for this processor is about 1800. Try running passmark on your laptop to see what score it gets. It will also help you decide.

Looking at the attached report, your system is having 2 slots, and the first slot is having DDR3 8 GB. So you would need another laptop sized (SODIMM) DDR3 RAM of 8 GB.
I'm unable to make out the RAM speed.

Best would to take your laptop to a local computer shop to buy the RAM; they should be able to figure it out by looking at existing RAM stick.

Having a SSD installed also would be a good upgrade, but you will need to re-install the OS onto SSD.
Note that it should be possible to 'move' existing OS from HDD to SSD, but it is a tricky procedure; would be best to just re-install the OS.

DMI Physical Memory Array
location Motherboard
usage System Memory
correction None
max capacity 16 GB
max# of devices 2

DMI Memory Device
designation ChannelA-DIMM0
format SODIMM
type DDR3
total width 64 bits
data width 64 bits
size 8 GB

I will upgrade to SSD first and can I "transfer" OS there or I will need to format and reinstall?
Acronis boot disk can work fine and can automatically adjust for size unless the data you want to clone is larger in size than the disk you're cloning to.
It's paid but if you're determined you can find it elsewhere.

I would say again make SSD your top priority and RAM is just an additional benefit that would help with multi tasking if required.

Just go to the SPD tab on CPU-Z and select the correct slot (the one which is not blank), it will show the type and speed. Type is of course, DDR3, because that's what 6th gen core processors supported. Buy one with a matching speed (look for double of what shows on this tab) and you should be fine.

Acronis boot disk can work fine and can automatically adjust for size unless the data you want to clone is larger in size than the disk you're cloning to.
It's paid but if you're determined you can find it elsewhere.

I would say again make SSD your top priority and RAM is just an additional benefit that would help with multi tasking if required.
Just go to the SPD tab on CPU-Z and select the correct slot (the one which is not blank), it will show the type and speed. Type is of course, DDR3, because that's what 6th gen core processors supported. Buy one with a matching speed (look for double of what shows on this tab) and you should be fine.
I will go with SSD first use it for few months and see if there is a change in speed. If there is no impact then I will consider upgrading RAM as well.

Can you tell which SSD will fit my laptop? Will this work or do I need anything else? https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07G3YNLJB

@_Root_

The Dell Inspiron 7559 supports one 2.5-inch SATA drive and one M.2 SATA module, but there's no NVMe support.

If you don't want to replace the existing SATA hard disk, then opt for an used M.2 SATA SSD from the forums. Investing on a brand new M.2 SATA SSD isn't worth, IMHO.

In case you're determined to get rid of the HDD, then a typical DRAM-less SATA SSD (like the Crucial BX500 you linked above) should be enough to shoehorn reasonable horsepower into the laptop.

@_Root_

The Dell Inspiron 7559 supports one 2.5-inch SATA drive and one M.2 SATA module, but there's no NVMe support.

If you don't want to replace the existing SATA hard disk, then opt for an used M.2 SATA SSD from the forums. Investing on a brand new M.2 SATA SSD isn't worth, IMHO.

In case you're determined to get rid of the HDD, then a typical DRAM-less SATA SSD (like the Crucial BX500 you linked above) should be enough to shoehorn reasonable horsepower into the laptop.
I do not have any SSD in my laptop currently and I do not plan to remove HDD. I will be using SSD only for booting OS rest all data remains on HDD.
In case you're determined to get rid of the HDD, then a typical DRAM-less SATA SSD (like the Crucial BX500 you linked above) should be enough
Oh! So the Crucial SSD will replace my HDD, I want to keep it and add additonal SSD in to the slot.

Back