dell xps15 vs to be launched lenovo y-570d --which one is better

pauldmps said:
^^ I have clarified my view on this in my next post. Unfortunately, the datasheet was not available on the Lenovo site, when I last checked the site. So I drew my inferences from the video. (I saw the datasheet yesterday)

For comparison between GT-540M & GT-555, head to Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech

And this is not a premium offering from Lenovo. I believe that the Y570 range will replace the existing Y560 series whose base model starts at 45k. So no backlit keyboard or full-HD screen.
Apologies, did not notice your post on this page...

Since my last visit to a lenovo exclusive store, i was under impression, for the dealer told me "ideapad Y series is Lenovo's top dog in home/multimedia laptops". So am I to believe that lenovo only caters to business people with thinkpad as premium offering?

And also notebookcheck.net does not have any real gaming statistics on gt 555m for now, i checked it earlier as well. So they placed the gpu on top just based on benchmarks/specs...

Anyways, gaming performance aside, vis-a-vis, dell xps 15 has more to offer in the same price bracket. So I still recommend it over Y-570.

amul_mitm said:
Apologies, did not notice your post on this page...

Apologies not required. :)

So am I to believe that lenovo only caters to business people with thinkpad as premium offering?

Mostly, true. The highest model of Y560 (without 3D) touches about 60k. Only Thinkpads are costlier than it.

And also notebookcheck.net does not have any real gaming statistics on gt 555m for now, i checked it earlier as well. So they placed the gpu on top just based on benchmarks/specs...

As you can see, the GT-555M is placed much above the GT-540M. The XPS 17 selling in the US can be upgraded to 3GB GT-555M. Let's see if they bring it to India.

Anyways, gaming performance aside, vis-a-vis, dell xps 15 has more to offer in the same price bracket. So I still recommend it over Y-570.

Agree on this. Dell has better build quality, better looks, better after-sales service & more choices to upgrade to. The only negatives I find is that price starts shooting when you customize it even with few basic upgrades.

If u are looking for only gaming then go for lenovo y570,as it has better processor And gpu for gaming..

*.As in lenovo y570 Intel i7 2620 is 2.6Ghz But only 2 cores and 4 mb cache ..But,In Dell XPS 15 intel i7 2630 has 2.0Ghz with 4 cores and 6 Mb cache

More cores are better for multitsking....

For gaming higer speed is better....

Chec the review :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*.Regarding Gpu Gtx 550 has 144 cuda cores @ 570 Mhz. While Gtx 540 has 92 cuda cores @ 672Mhz..

Check the review : Gtx 540 : http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

Gtx 555 : http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html

On Cinebench R10 Gtx 555 is only 1% faster than Gtx 540..Check in the review

So, dell is after all not a bad Laptop for gaming too..

But if u want Better build, good service then go for dell....

^^ Aakash, numbers are one part of the story, and performance is the other.

If you look at it this way (Talking about desktop cpu's but still the same analogy) AMD makes the Phenom II X6 1090T - A six core processor, and Intel makes the i5-2500 a four core processor, the both cost almost the say, a 1.5k difference, but going by your analogy of more is better, there are some areas where the X6 wont perform as good as the i5, even though its a 6 core pitched in against a 4 core.

All I'm saying is that we can make observations with numbers, but the real deal will be proven only when its tested, thus going by reviews would be better than going by numbers.'

More shaders and not enough ROPs can screw up the scaling of a GPU. Thus going by those numbers wont really be wise. You could try comparing GPUs on that basis, here's a good read From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, I'm on the same boat, I'd go with dell if it was a laptop, any day :p

l33t said:
^^ Aakash, numbers are one part of the story, and performance is the other.

If you look at it this way (Talking about desktop cpu's but still the same analogy) AMD makes the Phenom II X6 1090T - A six core processor, and Intel makes the i5-2500 a four core processor, the both cost almost the say, a 1.5k difference, but going by your analogy of more is better, there are some areas where the X6 wont perform as good as the i5, even though its a 6 core pitched in against a 4 core.

All I'm saying is that we can make observations with numbers, but the real deal will be proven only when its tested, thus going by reviews would be better than going by numbers.'

More shaders and not enough ROPs can screw up the scaling of a GPU. Thus going by those numbers wont really be wise. You could try comparing GPUs on that basis, here's a good read From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, I'm on the same boat, I'd go with dell if it was a laptop, any day :p

I'm just saying that, for gaming higer speed is better not the cores, coz the game develpoers still make games one the basis of dual core processors... only some games utilizes all 4 cores....so in that terms, fater dual core is better than slower 4 cores..If they have the same architecture..(In this case both are i7)...cpu...

And regarding gpu,, those review shows the tested gpu performance not just the numbers i'm taking about...

gaming higer speed is better not the cores, coz the game develpoers still make games one the basis of dual core processors

Which is what I'm trying to say, the intel spec sheet above, gives numbers, a more wiser thing would be going with the processor reviews, thats all.

And regarding gpu,, those review shows the tested gpu performance not just the numbers i'm taking about

Mea culpa maxima , The Game Benchmarks tab was minimized, font too small didn't really notice. If it does really show game performance results, there's all that you need in there.

Hmmmm.....so does this mean that the Dell XPS is better than Lenovo Y570 ? Maan, I had almost made my mind to buy the Lenovo.....now I am in a dilemma again...hehehehe.

But seriously guys, I had heard a lot of negative reviews for Dell and the fact that Dell XPS would cost about 70K compared to the Lenovo Y Series (50K) too made me think....

If we think of Build Quality and performance, which one would be better ? Dell or Lenovo ?

Sorry for asking this question guys, but there have been a lot of people here who recommend a Dell XPS over Lenovo Y Series....so am getting really confused here. :(

But u need the laptop only for gaming ,, so go for the better gpu...Check my above reply..U can check the specs there....

So, u can go for Lenovo.. with gtx 555..It has better graphics then dell...

In gaming graphics card makes the 80% of the performance..Rest 20% is of others..

guys regarding the speed of the processors i7-2620m can go up to 3.4 ghz with turbo boost and i-7 740qm can go up to 2.9ghz with 4 cores so if you calculate the overall speed the latter is much higher. And guys u all are saying that dell is better in a lot of other parameters but What parameters please state those things i am not brand loyal to any company i just want good features.. thanks suggestions are welcome

I recently ordered the Asus N53Sn for 65000/-. Specification is right in between the Dell Xps15 and lenovo y570. It comes with nvidia 550m graphics card and there are various customisations available including FHD. Just one sore point is the unavailability of backlit keyboard. Else its pretty good bang-for-buck. Check the multimedia laptop section in Asus website for details.

The Y570 hasn't released yet (even in US). So it is not the right time to comment on its build quality. Let some reviews surface before making an opinion. Hopefully, Lenovo has learned from its previous mistakes (read: Y560).

Back