Budget 31-40k Desktop for Programming - Coding

rahulcnbc

Disciple
Hi Team,
Please suggest if this config is good to go for a good performance yet value for money setup to be used for Programming - Coding
CPU - Ryzen 3600
MBO - Asrock B450 Steel Legend
SSD - Crucial MX 500 GB
RAM - Crucial 16GB 3200mhz stick
SMPS - Cooler Master 550W bronze

Budget is constrained to 35K max, we already have screen.

Are you getting used parts? That mobo and CPU combo is pretty dated now but still quite powerful for the intended purpose. The above advise is true and good if you wanna stick with AMD.
It really depends what kind of language you'll be working on and how complex projects you'll undertake.

If your purpose is to just learn then I'd suggest going for a budget i3-12100 build. AMD doesn't have anything in competition for that. Intel's modern 4 cores and 8 threads are far superior than AMD's offering.

I second the 5600g, or at least something with integrated graphics - whatever you save by going with the 3600 you'll probably lose getting a GPU, which will take up a PCIe slot and result in more power consumption for little benefit. And between the i3 and R5, I would go for the R5 - it's got more threads, and for me at least a programming station should take into account the potential for virtualization, for which more cores is always better.

I would also recommend switching from a single stick of 16GB to 2x8GB - the price difference shouldn't be too much (if there is one at all), and it gives you the ability to just add more 8 gig sticks rather than having to get another 16 gig if you want to expand to 32GB. The only reason not to do this would be if you think you'll need 64GB total one day.

Also, why the MX500? You can get an NVMe SSD for the same price, and your motherboard supports it.

Thanks buddies

is it worth to invest in this rig by Upgrading to the below;
1. R5600g to R5700G
2. Please suggest the board, is MSI X570 good. need a board with wifi n bluetooth.

rest configuration to remain the same or suggest. can extend the budget to 50-55k.

thanks for the great support as always !!

1. R5600g to R5700G
Depends on the price you're getting it for, and what exactly you plan to do with it - I see on amazon it costs about 30% more, and for most people the performance improvement isn't enough to justify it IMO. However, certain workloads do benefit quite a lot, and might be worth the additional expense if you engage in them frequently. Anandtech has a good review of both of these chips side-by-side, I'd suggest checking it out.
2. Please suggest the board, is MSI X570 good. need a board with wifi n bluetooth.
AFAIK, unless you have a specific need for an additional feature of an X-series board or plan on serious overclocking, they're unnecessary - B series is good enough for pretty much everyone. I believe Gamers Nexus has a chipset comparison video for 5000 series, you can watch that for additional clarity.

Thanks buddies

is it worth to invest in this rig by Upgrading to the below;
1. R5600g to R5700G

rest configuration to remain the same or suggest. can extend the budget to 50-55k.

thanks for the great support as always !!

As already explained by @SirVer you probably don't need an x570, I know it is tempting to have the latest and the greatest but unless you are into serious overclocking, you don't need that.

Also, if it's just for programming then 5600g is more than enough. However I always recommend saving money for a GPU cuz you will probably still be good with 3600 and when you wanna game a little that GPU will save your day.

Remember, your PC is a tool, you won't gain anything buying a JCB when a shovel will do.

As suggested by others and myself using 5600G and GB B450 DS3H board.

Make sure the Board Bios is updated to compatible with 5600g while buying. Performance gain to price spent on 5700G is not a gain.

I'm not using any programming language on the machine so cant comment on it but felt PC is good both performance and energy efficiency wise.

If the sole reason to get an X570 is onboard wifi and BT, you could just get a pcie x1 or usb based bt/wifi combo which will still work effectively or get an Intel AX200 IMHO will stack far better than the onboard solution.

Back