Budget 0-20k Desktop PC for home use

beginner007

Disciple
Hi Friends

I'm planning to buy a desktop PC primarily for my kid and for home use. Keeping in mind about the usage, I'm tight on budget and looking for a best configured assembled PC. Also I do not want to buy components which has been declared EOL by the manufacturer. Please suggest me a perfect configuration (without AMD, as I had very very bitter experience with AMD earlier).

With my little research I came up with some items which are mentioned below and request you to modify the list with your better choice. Also if possible plz mention the market price against it.

Thank you.

1. Processor (Intel i3-3220, 3.3GHz)
2. MB (Intel DH61BF)
3. HDD (Seagate SATA 500 GB, 6GB/s)
4. RAM (4 GB Transcend DDR3 1600)
5. Optical Drive (LG DVD Writer)
6. Cabinet (Intex ATX)
7. KB/Mouse (Logitec basic KB and optical mouse combo)
8. Monitor (20" Dell 2030M LED monitor)

Opps !!! There is a template for asking help. Here you go friends.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 15-20K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA (Not applicable)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Please see above
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • May be a printer
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Hyderabad/Secunderabad
    • Open to online purchase (yes, but should be well priced with geunine products)
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Open for 2nd hand but worried for genuineness, so ans is NO
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Sometimes image editing
    • Sometimes downloading BR rip FHD movie torrents
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Brand will be preferable but I know with my budget nothing good will fit, else Dell is the choice
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strictly no games, I hate computer games even my kid
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - FHD :)
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • I'm not a nerd, so NO
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows XP 32 bit/ Windows 7 64-bit
    • Either 32/64 bit Linux Mint 14 (15 is comming soon)

Hi Friends

I'm planning to buy a desktop PC primarily for my kid and for home use. Keeping in mind about the usage, I'm tight on budget and looking for a best configured assembled PC. Also I do not want to buy components which has been declared EOL by the manufacturer. Please suggest me a perfect configuration (without AMD, as I had very very bitter experience with AMD earlier).

With my little research I came up with some items which are mentioned below and request you to modify the list with your better choice. Also if possible plz mention the market price against it.

Thank you.

2. MB (Intel DH61BF)
6. Cabinet (Intex ATX)

Opps !!! There is a template for asking help. Here you go friends.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 15-20K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA (Not applicable)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Please see above
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • May be a printer
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Hyderabad/Secunderabad
    • Open to online purchase (yes, but should be well priced with geunine products)
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Open for 2nd hand but worried for genuineness, so ans is NO
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Sometimes image editing
    • Sometimes downloading BR rip FHD movie torrents
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Brand will be preferable but I know with my budget nothing good will fit, else Dell is the choice
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strictly no games, I hate computer games even my kid
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - FHD :)
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • I'm not a nerd, so NO
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows XP 32 bit/ Windows 7 64-bit
    • Either 32/64 bit Linux Mint 14 (15 is comming soon)

1. Intel i3-3225, 3.3GHz -6900
2. Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2 -3600
3. Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB -3000
4. Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1333MHz -3200
5. Asus 24B5ST DVD-RW -1000
6. Corsair 200R Cabinet -3000
7. Logitech Combo -600
8. Dell 20" IN2020M LED -6500
9. Corsair CX 430 -2800

TOTAL -30,600.

You can get maybe 1.5k less if you bargain and buy it from Arun Computers, CTC, Secunderabad.

1. Intel i3-3225, 3.3GHz -6900 - Are you sure i3-3225 costs Rs 6,900/- ?
2. Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2 -3600 - How reliable is it compared to Intel boards ?
4. Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1333MHz -3200 - Are you sure 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM costs Rs 3,200/- ?
6. Corsair 200R Cabinet -3000 - An ATX cabinet should be approx Rs 1,000/-
7. Logitech G100 Gaming Combo -1600 - KB + mouse combo should be approx Rs 650-700
8. Dell 20" IN2020M -6500

TOTAL -28,800.

You can get maybe 1.5k less if you bargain a lot and buy it from Arun Computers, CTC, Secunderabad.
Thank you friend for your reply, but see my inline comments on your suggestions.

@bssunil
1. No PSU in the suggestion.
2. Why gaming combo when OP is not interested in games?

@beginner007
Prices may vary from site to site, dealer to dealer. bssunil might be considering lowest/old prices, but you can check local market.
If you are on tight budget, you can go for local ATX Rs 1000 cabinet but add good PSU, you can go for corsair CX430 @ Rs 2800

For keyboard mouse, there is no need for gaming combo, normal logitech combo Rs 700 is fine

Last edited by a moderator:
bssunil said:
1. Intel i3-3225, 3.3GHz -6900
2. Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2 -3600
Do 3rd generation Intel Core processors work on all H61 motherboards?
The CPU support list of the motherboard you've suggested includes the i3-3225. So, there shouldn't be any issues.
However, Intel's site doesn't say that the H61 chipset supports 3rd generation Intel Core processors.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/h61-express-chipset.html

This discussion on tomshardware says that a BIOS update allows you to use the 3rd generation on a H61 motherboard.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/343851-28-bridge

Here is the wiki page about Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge chipsets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155
Ivy Bridge chipsets are B75, Q75, Q77, H77, Z75, Z77
Does anyone here have a system running a 3rd generation Intel Core processor on a H61 motherboard? Have there been any issues?

Thank you sky.

But, I thought a ATX cabinet comes with a PSU inside it and the combined price is approx Rs 1,000- 1,5000/-.
Am I right ?
You may find cabinets in 1500 including PSU, but you are risking your all components just to save 2k amount. Buying reputed PSU will give you peace of mind.

Do 3rd generation Intel Core processors work on all H61 motherboards?
The CPU support list of the motherboard you've suggested includes the i3-3225. So, there shouldn't be any issues.
However, Intel's site doesn't say that the H61 chipset supports 3rd generation Intel Core processors.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/h61-express-chipset.html

This discussion on tomshardware says that a BIOS update allows you to use the 3rd generation on a H61 motherboard.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/343851-28-bridge

Here is the wiki page about Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge chipsets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155
Ivy Bridge chipsets are B75, Q75, Q77, H77, Z75, Z77
Does anyone here have a system running a 3rd generation Intel Core processor on a H61 motherboard? Have there been any issues?

That's right. H61 does not support ivy bridge natively. One needs to update bios using a sandy proccy to support ivy (even this not on all mobos) unless it is a new revision.
It's always much better to get B75 for ivy (at max 1k more for a similar h61 model)[DOUBLEPOST=1368705717][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes, you are right, I want a cheap cabinet.
Cheap cabby would work, but no cheap PSU/SMPS at all costs.

Mostly from Flipkart if you search(my latest home PC config, except bought an extra SSD and used my old HDDs/GFX card/ Monitor) -

Intel G2010 - 3435/- , apparently it performs better then old gen quad cores like Q6600. Good enough for new games as well with GFX cards. without any gaming I don't think one will need anything more then this for WIN 8.
Crosair 4 GB DDr3(1333) - 1950/-
Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 or D2 - 2889/- (you can also check for CPU support list for particular model you are buying on their website, don't think there should be any problem with ivy bridge processor).
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB -3200/
DVD-RW -1000
Local cabinet+ Crosair VS350 or 450 - 3K (SMPS should not be compromised, these branded ones will work for decade without any issue).
hp-x1500-wired-mouse(has big good quality mouse feet and wire length for 350 bucks) + Logitech keyboard - 600/-
Monitor - Will always suggest to go for a 24"(or 22" atleast) one if you can afford instead of spending more on Processor if there is a compromise between the 2 of them. 20" is very small for movies/videos when compared to 24" etc. IMO :)

last but not least(if planning), Instead of buying a local generic UPS for 2k, buy an APC 650 VA model for around 3k, there are lots of things we can do with these(APC) UPS, such the monitoring the total watt consumed by Computer/setting the Beep behaviors/sensitivity/automatic hibernation of the PC, when low on battery etc. etc also They will have 3-4 ports to connect all the devices(if you have to buy extra surge protected/extension cord that, itself costs min 500/- )

2. MB (Intel DH61BF)
6. Cabinet (Intex ATX)
You know what, you will not notice any difference between i3 and pentiums, at all.
Processor - G2010 - 3k
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H - 4k
RAM - Any 4gb ddr3 1333mhz - 1.6-2k
HDD - WD Scorpio Blue 500gb - 3k (Avoid seagate, much worse service than wd)
Optical drive - 1k
Cabinet - 1k
PSU - VS350 - 2k
Monitor - Dell 2030M - 6k
K/M - 1k

Total - 21k

@foruamit2004 + @hitesh12

Thank you for your useful inputs friends.

Some where here @ TE, I saw someone was also talking about Intel Pentium G2010 or G2020 processors against i3-3220, in terms of value / dollar. Second as you already have the processor, how is the performance of this little master, especially the on board graphics (Intel HD vs Intel HD4000) ? Can it handle photoshop or other general video editing sw ?

Also, both of you are talking about Gigabyte boards rather than original Intel boards ?Any specific reasons for that ? Surprisingly the board is costlier than the processor !!! Anyway what will be the suitable board for this processor as I confused see 222 no of compatible boards from Gigabyte only !!!

1. Intel Pentium G2020 -3500
2. Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H -4000
4. Corsair Value Select 4GB 1333MHz -1600
6. Corsair 200R Cabinet -3000
7. Logitech K/M -800
9. Corsair CX 430 -2800

TOTAL -26,200.

Prices are from Arun Computers, CTC, Secunderabad.

Also, both of you are talking about Gigabyte boards rather than original Intel boards ?Any specific reasons for that ? Surprisingly the board is costlier than the processor !!! Anyway what will be the suitable board for this processor as I confused see 222 no of compatible boards from Gigabyte only !!!

It is not like intel motherboards are "original" and others aren't ( I assume you said that because it is their socket/chipset).
Other companies buy rights from intel to make motherboards and make products on par with intel (or sometimes even better). Gigabyte's quality is good too, don't worry about it

Btw what did you mean by this - "I confused see 222 no of compatible boards" ?[DOUBLEPOST=1368725596][/DOUBLEPOST]
6. Corsair 200R Cabinet -3000 - Can I know why you keep on suggesting this ?
7. Logitech K/M -800
9. Corsair CX 430 -2800

TOTAL -26,200.

Prices are from Arun Computers, CTC, Secunderabad.

Thank you for your useful inputs friends.

Some where here @ TE, I saw someone was also talking about Intel Pentium G2010 or G2020 processors against i3-3220, in terms of value / dollar. Second as you already have the processor, how is the performance of this little master, especially the on board graphics (Intel HD vs Intel HD4000) ? Can it handle photoshop or other general video editing sw ?

Can't comment on the onboard gfx, as since starting using the separate gfx card. Probably you can check online. But since both I3 and Pentium are having Intel gfx only, either should be fine. Anything heavy, you will want a separate GFX card anyway.

In the same price range, i. .e under 3k intel mobo will have limited options(such as only 2 sata port etc, one will be occupied by DVD drive, so only space for one HDD), so if you want to buy the cheapest, other brand are generally ok, such as in gigabyte you will get 4 sata ports, may be better audio chip etc... also in higher range( 4K+) other brands mobos will have better features, which you will not get as such in intel motherboard. For example now outdated MSI H61 mobo was cheapest @ 2.6k a few months ago, but it had 4 sata ports, and 2 PCI express slots(no PCI). Also it has a feature, where you don't have to start the computer to power the USB ports.

I guess you need to check the features of the motherboard to see if they suite your needs(number of ports etc dvi/vga/usb/PCI/PCI express etc). Goto the website, selects the brand Gigabyte/intel/ASUS, start from the cheapest. and buy one, which ever suites your needs.. :p. My suggested motherborad also doesn't have PCI slot, I had only PCI express sound card + GFX card.

It is not like intel motherboards are "original" and others aren't ( I assume you said that because it is their socket/chipset).
Other companies buy rights from intel to make motherboards and make products on par with intel (or sometimes even better). Gigabyte's quality is good too, don't worry about it

Btw what did you mean by this - "I confused see 222 no of compatible boards" ?[DOUBLEPOST=1368725596][/DOUBLEPOST]

bssunil said: ↑
6. Corsair 200R Cabinet -3000 - Can I know why you keep on suggesting this ?
7. Logitech K/M -800
9. Corsair CX 430 -2800

TOTAL -26,200.

Prices are from Arun Computers, CTC, Secunderabad.​
Because for components long life, good and spacious cabinet is also required.
If I suggest NZXT or Bitfenix then these are not available locally in Hyderabad/Secunderabad. Coolermaster does not have a good cabinet with good cable management under 3k.
So I was suggesting Corsair as this cabinet has a strong fan base as well as Dealer base even for after market service if need be.

Btw what did you mean by this - "I confused see 222 no of compatible boards"

I was looking for compatible MB for Intel G2020 @ gigabyte website. When I select the socket "Intel Socket 1155" it shows me 211 number of compatible boards !!! Means Do I need to choose one from 211 number of boards ??? Too hard :(

Please do not compromise on getting a decent "Cabinet" and a "Power-Supply".

1. Cabinet: The sub 2k cabinets are never spoken of simply because everything about it is very bad - materials used (build quality); ventilation is awful; provided fan/s are of the worst quality. Cable management is awful
The suggested Corsair Carbide 200R by @bssunil is an excellent cabinet - however, it is recommended that one adds at least 2 more 120/140mm fans so that the ventilation & cooling is fantastic [this will offer excellent cooling to all the components inside your system]. FYI - good quality cabinet prices start from upwards of 2k.... right upto 25 or 30k. Good Brands are Corsair; Cooler Master; NZXT; Antec. Terrible brands are - Intex; VIP; iBall; Circle etc

2. A Good PSU: This is the "heart" of your system where voltages are supplied to all the components [motherboard; gpu; hdd etc]. It is important that these voltages are always precise & consistent. The components used inside the psu - capacitors; transformer etc are also of good build quality & certified. Branded PSU's go through strict quality control protocols. The low priced and cheapo brands do not offer any such guarantees and are a risk to use.

This is why on TE no sane person will ever suggest/recommend any cheapo brand of PSU without warning the OP that - the risk of damage is entirely his. Good Brands are - Seasonic; Cooler Master; Antec.
Note: The Antec VP 450 is among the cheapest quality PSU

You can check further details & pricing from
primeabgb.com
theitdepot.com
theitwares.com
hardwire.in

All the above are reputed online sites and extremely safe & credible in their dealings. None of them will stock or sell any of the el cheapo brand of computer peripherals. Lastly, in case you still are not convinced of the reasons given by folks on TE - you always have the option of contacting your local "computer guru" who will give you a desi-tadka PC - which will last you for just a year or so. :banghead:

Cheers
Terry

Back