Budget 41-50k Desktop PC to run VM's and softwares - No gaming

rakesh_ic

ex-Mod
What is your budget?
  • ~50K
What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
  • NA - Building new pc
Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
  • NA - Building new pc
Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • HDD/SSD
  • PSU
  • Cabinet
  • RAM
  • Keyboard/Mouse
  • Monitor
Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
  • Will be my final config
Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
  • Hyderabad
  • Open to online purchase from reputed site
Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
  • No
What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
  • Browsing with as many as 25-35 tabs open
  • Running VM's
  • Watching HD movies
  • Eclipse, Oracle server, SQL server, Cordys software, VM's, Webservers, Apache and tomcat
Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
  • Would like to build an Intel system
If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
  • NA - No gaming at all
What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  • Desktop - 1920 x 1080
Are you looking to overclock?
  • No
Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
  • Windows 8.1 64 bit
  • Linux
[DOUBLEPOST=1415258976][/DOUBLEPOST]Can I get some suggestions with i7? Will adding an SSD help?

Last edited:
@rakesh_ic

i7 will be too expensive in this budge, starts with 22k which is almost half of your budget.

CPU - Intel Core i5 4690 -15500,
Motherboard - Gigabyte H97-D3H -7500,
PSU - Seasonic S12II 520w -5000,
Cabinet - Corsair SPEC01 - 4600,
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz (4Gbx2) - 6450,
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 101 -1000,
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1 TB -5500,
SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB -5500,
Monitor - Dell IN2030 LCD /S2240L LED IPS - 7000 / 9000,
Keyboard & Mouse - 900.
TOTAL - 58950 / 60950.

If you cannot afford it right now, you can skip SSD. But SSD will definitely make difference in performance of your VMs and applications.

Suggest me the i7 model as well that can go with this?

OCing is not an option and will add more RAM's if required on the later stage. So a 32 GB compatible boards is required as well.

I am using a similar set (except like a year older config),

Asus p8b75-m lx
Intel i5-3450
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz (8Gbx2)
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB + WD green 1.5 tb (old)
Corsair cx500
Powercolor ATI7750 ( does not need PCIe connector)

I use it to run ERP packages( Development and self learning only) .

1. If you are using this as a test bed or dev server , 8Gb is fine, will do, but keeping in mind overall snag free experience id go with 16GB
If you plan to use it for tad bit commercial stuff 32 gb is a must.

2. Keep in mind, when you install windows install ahci drivers too.

3. Do get a separate GPU it will reduce load off the CPU (While watching movies or browsing Graphic intensive sites)

Core i7 config will set you back by around 13-14k more from actual budget of 50k whereas a Core i5 will cross by around 7-6k. Following is what I would suggest for i7 config.

Core i7 - 4770 - 21000
Asus H97 Pro - 9700
Corsair vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600MHz * 2 - 6400
Seasonic S12 II 520W - 5000
Dell S2240L - 8800
WD Blue 1TB - 3800
Logitech Keyboard Mouse - 800
Total - 55500

Apart from this you need to add SSD of atleast 120GB and a cabinet of your choice. This will roughly cost you around 8-8.5k considering 5-5.5k for SSD and 2.5-3k for a cabinet.

Hii Buddy SSD has a reputation for being expensive and very fast, while capable of dealing with lots of IOPS. For instance, a typical enterprise-grade SSD can deliver more than 10,000 IOPS, but a high-performance spinning disk can only deliver around 200 IOPS so getting a Good SSD is a must like samsung evo 840 4.9k or the Sandisk Extreme 6.9k .

If you are planning to run your system for longer periods then a roomy cabinet like Corsair Spec 01 or 02 will be great, I am using Corsair Carbide 400R it runs the system very cool but it's a little bit pricier compared too the spec series & also replacing the Core i7 - 4770 21.6k with a Core i5 4590 13.9k & investing the saved cash on Sapphire R7 250x 1 GB 8k will give more Eye Candy in Full HD movies .

Regards :)
Jerry James

I all thanks for your inputs and this was for a friend.
I have been using a gaming rig from quite sometime but am unaware of the latest rigs and configs floating around.

More than CPU, if you are serious about virtualization, you need oodles of RAM. 16GB should be bare minimum if not more. A basic i5 as the cpu will be good enough. In fact this is one place where AMD is close or better than intel so an FX 8350 isn't a bad option either.

Back