Skilled
I've to develop one website which should contain -

1. Static pages.
2. Dynamic pages.
3. Applets. (Optional)
4. User Interactive components.
5. Multi-media components. (Optional)
6. Any other components. (Optional)

I can use any language for developing it. I'm confused about what topic should I chose.
First I thought about a mini social networking site, then Image/file uploading script. But still confused about which topic to take.. Can you please suggest me a topic which will be good and suitable for 'mini project'.

I've knowledge about HTML, CSS, PHP etc languages. Teacher told us to prefer language ASP.NET and I don't know anything about it. Can you guys help me about the language that I should use in my project? If ASP .NET is good to go then I'm ready to learn it throughout this semester.

Please discuss about it guys.

First I think you must make sure if you'll get any brownie points for using ASP.NET

Because if you wont then I think you know enough to get started.

All the things that you've mentioned can be done using HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript ( I assume that's included in 'etc' )

If you have a semester to learn then I would recommend Java EE and EJB's. There is a lot of demand of people with this background who can work on MVC framework. The learning curve is a little steep but it will serve you for a long time. I do not see much point in learning ASP, I could be wrong though.

hammerhead said:
I do not see much point in learning ASP, I could be wrong though.
Wrong! No offense. Every language is special, of course its better to learn the newer version of the language. The OP here has mentioned ASP. NET and NOT ASP.
You should go ahead with the project by choosing ASP. NET, since you are not familiar with it and this is your leaning phase you should try as much languages as possible. This will help you to know their power. Here, let the project be simple enough, so that you can gain more experience on the basic concepts of the language. If you feel that you want to delve in further you can add more functionality to the project later.

Back