Devil May Cry 3 mini-review

Ok, finally played enough DMC3 for some impressions so, here goes.......
Let me start off by saying that this is perhaps one of the most difficult games I have ever played to date, no exceptions. If you think that Ninja Gaiden was hard and the added Hurricane Pack made it harder, then you’re in for a hard time. Yup, this is one of those games that’ll make you chew off your controller and hurl it at several inanimate and/or animate objects around you. This game has an incredibly steep learning curve but, when you master it, you’ll be amazed by the awesomeness of the combat system.
It’s prequel time as the story revolves around Dante going up against his brother, Virgil (I really don't wanna spoil anything here). Capcom has done a brilliant job with the story, treating it more like a movie, very high production values. The cutscenes pop up at just the right times, the entire setting lurks with creepiness, humor and all out stylish action.
The completely revamped graphics engine runs at a blazing 60fps. There are lots of neat graphical touches throughout the game. Anyone who played DMC2 is probably wondering about the off-screen enemy attacks that would have you restarting again and again, DMC3’s camera in one smart beast. Although it’s not as free roaming as one would expect but, it gets the job done nicely and automatically adjusts itself to compliment the action.
As far as gameplay goes, this time there are four disciplines to master - Trickster, Swordmaster, Gunslinger, and Royal Guard (basically meaning - defensive, melee, ranged and balanced). The selection of the style is an integral part of the gameplay and successful combinations are spectacular to behold. Upgrading is still done by collecting orbs and exchanging them for upgrades and items. Lots of enemies and some truly insane bosses populate the game world. There are apparently lots of swords and guns to select from (I say apparently cause I’ve unlocked only a few :D ), heck I hear that there’s even a bloody guitar in it too! The styles and the weapons can be upgraded to unlock new moves and make weapons deadlier. And at the end of each level, ranking is done on the basis of time taken, damage, items used and style points gained (a meter on the screen shows the style points earned, which is done by using a continuous combo chain).
On the subject of sound, it has a killer, hardcore, moody metal soundtrack and the voice acting is top notch. I do recommend using sub-titles because in some cutscenes, the music seems a bit higher than the voices.
The game is just filled with so much stuff to do and see that you’ll keep coming back for more and won’t give a damn about the severely steep learning curve. This is one of those games that have everything you need for a triple-A title. It is extremely challenging, very engaging, deep, and gorgeous and above all it is boat loads of over the top fun.
Enough talking, I mean typing! Time for some action!!!

so metallus got your ps2 working ? And reading that review i just might buy DMC 1 & 2 so that i can get this one (i hate playing a game from the middle of a series)
also the story of Devil May Cry (including the character names) was the original base for 'Resident Evil' back in '96. the idea was scrapped off and a new story was written, they (Capcom) then from the garbage made the scrapped off idea for RE into a game = Devil May Cry which came out to be a big hit too. ;)
now only if Capcom decides to make a new generation Street Fighter game, that would kick Tekken's *** out for a long time to come :no:
(srry Satan of Gamers, but your avatar is related to Tekken too :p )

Hey thanks guys. Hey params go for it man, DMC 1&3 are great, 2 sucks big time. As it stands right now, God of War is the game to play. Trying my best to get my hands on it. Will try and post a full blown review as soon as I get some hands on time with it.

I think Tekken 3 was the last Tekken to come out on PS1, cause I have Tekken 4 on PS2 and yeah, it does suck. Just got Tekken 5 :D and what can I say? Tekken has gone back to its roots :hap2:.

hmm sorry my bad its tekken 3.......
dude ur gettting me wrong i never said tekken 3 sucked i said it rocked man awesome game used to play the game with my frndz even during my class X boards :p

yeah well i've played tekken 3 and 4, 4 just p***** me off, 3 was decent played it for a while, but now i don't care about Tekken 5.

Back