Did you learn anything new/ improve your skill level ( something you learned earlier, but never had the time to improve) during this lockdown?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
For me, March and April were the toughest times in life. However had plenty of time in May, which was mostly wasted on sleeping and random netfix movies/ series etc. However did few productive things beside usual job.
1. Cooking- It is not new to me. But stopped completely since late 2015, my partner (now wife) is a terrible cook but she loves to cook ( in Slavic tradition, cooking for your guy is a big thing) but somehow never improved ( or I could never appreciate the Czech/ Slovak foods...which are basically all same....mashed potatoes, meat, cheese and more cheese, the bluish rancid one is possibly the national food or something, but it tastes like shit) I started cooking almost on a daily basis, typical Bengali food including rice, fish/chicken/mutton/beef curry, even shukto (dont know what`s called in english or hindi), did not know Prague has so many fish sellers!! Thankfully everyone seemed to enjoy the food even our snob German neighbors.
2. Learned Ableton Live 10- This thing and the Push 2 did cost a lot of money and I never even tried Live seriously once before buying the Push 2 ( A VERY BIG MISTAKE, it was a totally new territory even after spending 20 years in music, 10 years with PT and Logic) Almost gave up, but one youtube video saved me. Ableton is definitely the easiest of all major DAWs and the Push thing is just awesome. Made a complete cover of King Crimson`s Epitaph with only inbuilt sounds and effects.
This was my biggest achievement this year. Understanding Ableton and making music with it, Though still mixing in Samplitude or Logic (on desktop), mixing in Live is IMPOSSIBLE, Yes, some people are doing it effectively, but it is very tedious and it does not have many essential tools including a proper mixer board setup.
What did you guys learn?

I did learn how to make Pizza from scratch, will get better with practice, and some other cooking. Had planned a lot but got busy with some unexpected events, was working from home also.

I don't know if this can be counted. I used to eat lot of junk food - like potato chips, fried peas, corn flakes, butter, cheese, white bread, biscuits, chocolates, fruit juices, ice cream, etc.

With the lockdown and none of these stuff available in my place, I got over eating these stuff. Completely. I did suffer pangs at night when I felt like eating these stuff but stopped now. Probably I won't buy these items for the rest of my life now. I guess I find them not required for living now. Or maybe I became like a hermit without going to Himalayas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sure, changing to a good food habit is a great achievement.
Aren't you feeling better physically already?
Yes. Better to eat healthy Indian breakfast everyday than eat these things. I switched over to dosa, idli, poha, etc. I realised that along with 2 spoons of sugar in tea or coffee, biscuits, bread, etc also have sugar in them. So if I ate 10 biscuits, maybe those 10 biscuits had like another 2 spoons of sugar or more if there was icing cream in between. Add to that, fruit juices which have sugar etc. Too much sugar is probably too bad.

I also found out how bad these biscuits ready taste now. Eating them everyday, you don't realise the difference in taste because it's gradual. After not eating them for 2 -3 months, I tried Britannia nutri choice last week and it tasted like eating mud. I thought something was wrong with my tongue. So I got another brand Priya Gold and about three different flavours. All of them tasted like the company had gone to great lengths to make them as tasteless as possible. No salt, sugar, nothing. Didn't even taste like a biscuit. Had to eat them down with tea since I don't waste food.

And bread is just soya and maida bread now. I think they use very little wheat flour and use soya bean flour and maida. Tasted like unbaked soyabean. I wanted to make my own bread, but it's costly to make at home and all the appliances run on electricity.

Ice cream and chocolates use vegetable fat instead of proper milk etc. All the manufacturers have started substitution for profit instead of quality of food. When they don't care about our health, then it's best to stay away from their products.

That most people lie through the teeth in order to escape work and the management believes them more than the IT dept. What excuses and what not. Best today was that due to cyclone Nisarga all electrical devices need to be shut so cant work:facepalm:

Reverse here. Got/getting fed up & frustrated by wfh, affected my health and piece of mind...
Cheering myself by involving in techno hobbies and die-cast collection..

Last edited:
Yes, it's getting too much for me too. Sick of taking online classes ( even the students are getting bored)
Thankfully, students are supposed to attend classes from next week.

^^ No, no!! I don't have any teaching experience. Just taking some online classes to medical students on epidemiology ( just hired by some medical schools for couple of months) Though I plan to go to academics full time from September.
Regarding the experience, it was exciting at first, now it has become very boring.

Back