Camera Digital camera equal to SLR

@rishimittal: hey, if you really want a compact digital camera with DSLR like capabilities, then a micro-four thirds is your best bet. And I guess once these cams become popular manufacturer would bring out fast primes for them (but thats a maybe).

So, if you are ok with carrying a little weight then a DSLR (Nikkon) should be it, else a micro-four third it is.

@adder: Great link, I would have gone for a micro-four third had I known that there would be these options coming up, in future :). I am not a great or good or decent photographer, but just a novice and likes to take good photos, a DSLR feels pretty too elaborate sometimes. :)

No way we can mount a cheap lens on a canon/nikon?

Another OT but Sony and Pentax users have an advantage of old Pentax K mount and Minolta lens. Trust me though, manual focus is very tough to get used to. This was purely due to a market leader position of Konica and Pentax film SLR's 20 years back. 20-30 years going forward you will definitely get cheap 2nd hand Canon/Nikon lenses too :) and yeah good glasses last very long.

Sorry forgot to mention that both my lenses were used. But lenses last 30 - 40 years and more so no issues. :)

@OP - So which camera have you decided to get ?

@Aces - Acutally since Canon/Nikon have so many users they have a huge base to sell to so they can safely price their gear pretty high. In Sony/Pentax land the potential buying population is very low so you are forced to price at a low level in the hopes that someone buys it. :)

^^ Nope, Pentax and Minolta were the market leaders till 20 years back. Hence there is a huge base for their glasses, for Canon and Nikon the lens user base is increasing at the moment, but as long as there is a large user base, they can command a premium. Now say 15 years down the line if Sony SLT line is the king, then there are very good chances of the current L lenses going dirt cheap :p

Aces170 said:
^^ Nope, Pentax and Minolta were the market leaders till 20 years back. Hence there is a huge base for their glasses, for Canon and Nikon the lens user base is increasing at the moment, but as long as there is a large user base, they can command a premium. Now say 15 years down the line if Sony SLT line is the king, then there are very good chances of the current L lenses going dirt cheap :p
L lenses going dirt cheap...wow man....I will certainly wait for that ;)

Well, One thing I would like to know from the people who keep Micro 4/3rd or NEX in the range of compact cameras...

How come the cam is compact with a decent ranged lens mounted on it... (and we know that a lens is must on it :p )

Comparing a body only of NEX etc with compact cameras and then promoting it as compact camera is no smartness I guess..

^^ Actually if you check the pics, even with the 18-55mm lens its smaller then a DSLR, but definitely not a handbag material as people propose. Absence of a viewfinder is a big downer for DSLR users, but its a big step up from compact and super zoom cameras.

Aces170 said:
^^ Actually if you check the pics, even with the 18-55mm lens its smaller then a DSLR, but definitely not a handbag material as people propose.
Depends on the hand bag,if its one of those tiny ones those just enough to fit a tiny mobile ,then yes it won't fit.But in the normal one it will fit if you put them lens down/lcd facing upwards or vice versa.There are plenty of Aftermarket bags/cases for this camera.

Aces170 said:
Another OT but Sony and Pentax users have an advantage of old Pentax K mount and Minolta lens. Trust me though, manual focus is very tough to get used to.
manual lens compatibility for Canon is much better than Sony/Pentax. You can mount almost any lens on your canon, except for a few mounts where you lose infinity focus (canon fd).
i've used mounts ranging from m42, pentax k, olympus zuiko to contax yashica. and you can pick up these lenses pretty cheap, just got my paws on a olympus zuiko 55 1.2 for just 3k, waiting for the adapter to arrive. Also picked up a zeiss pancolar 50 1.8 for just Rs.100 from the local flea market :D
and lastly manual focus is manageable if your camera has a decent sized viewfinder. i could manage just fine on my sony a500 despite its small size

Aces170 said:
^^ Actually if you check the pics, even with the 18-55mm lens its smaller then a DSLR, but definitely not a handbag material as people propose. Absence of a viewfinder is a big downer for DSLR users, but its a big step up from compact and super zoom cameras.
Yeah it is smaller than DSLR.. but than, is it as Compact as General P&S camers. Say Canon S90 (Just size wise)???

Moreover, I dont feel logical to compare them with super zooms size wise.. to get focal range like superzoom they need to fix a tele lens in them.. and after fixing tele lens, words like portability and compactness disappears..

BTW it looks like Point and shoot cameras/prosumer cameras are increasingly getting faster AF.The newly announced Fuji HS20 with advertised AF speed of .16 sec,the Sony HX100V and HX9V have advertised AF speed of 0.10 sec second .However there start up time will be more and they won't be able to track like DSLR (in OVF) and SLT.

AF in what conditions? It's too general a statement - colour temperature, lighting conditions.. many,many variables can affect AF speed. Not wise to put a blanket figure there.

Well fuji advertise that the AF in HS20 won't be no more then .16 sec,no more info on what conditions. I mean fast contrast detect ain't new panasonic GH-2 has one as well in a much larger sensor.
Fuji press release
There’s also no need to worry about slow auto focusing making you miss your shot; the HS20’s contrast AF system takes no longer than 0.16 seconds to focus

But Sony HX100V and HX9V press release says this
With the high-speed auto focus feature, these cameras provide a smarter way to focus with DSLR-like speed. High-speed autofocus locks onto subjects in as little as 0.1 seconds, letting you grab the most fleeting photo moments with ease.

Obviously contrast detect auto focus in any camera as of today works best with good light.

Back