Digital Media Device

I have been using NMTs (Popcorn Hour A110, A-200) for the past 2 years now and my brother has a WD-Live. I can confidently say, NMTs are the best HD Media players out there. It plays even Blu-Ray from a folder dump and if I have the Blu-Ray ISO then thing even gives me menus. Add to that it can play Youtube, Internet Radio. Torrents and Rapidshare downloading are like icing on the cake. Suffice to say I very rarely use my PC for downloading or watching Vidoes.

My A-200 plays a content rich blu-ray hitting 80 mbps (most 1080p MKVs max out at around 20-25 mbps, blu-rays hit 80 and sometimes even higher) during heavy scenes over LAN (the .m2ts or blu-ray ISO is on the comp) while my older generation A-110 couldn't handle those extremely high bitrates.

One good test is to try and play a 500 mb Samsung demo video (Aquarium) which is so rich that most HD media players struggle to play it (Xtremer, Asus). If a player can play that comfortably than it can probably handle anything you throw at it.

spacenoxx said:
I have been using NMTs (Popcorn Hour A110, A-200) for the past 2 years now and my brother has a WD-Live. I can confidently say, NMTs are the best HD Media players out there. It plays even Blu-Ray from a folder dump and if I have the Blu-Ray ISO then thing even gives me menus. Add to that it can play Youtube, Internet Radio. Torrents and Rapidshare downloading are like icing on the cake. Suffice to say I very rarely use my PC for downloading or watching Vidoes.

My A-200 plays a content rich blu-ray hitting 80 mbps (most 1080p MKVs max out at around 20-25 mbps, blu-rays hit 80 and sometimes even higher) during heavy scenes over LAN (the .m2ts or blu-ray ISO is on the comp) while my older generation A-110 couldn't handle those extremely high bitrates.

One good test is to try and play a 500 mb Samsung demo video (Aquarium) which is so rich that most HD media players struggle to play it (Xtremer, Asus). If a player can play that comfortably than it can probably handle anything you throw at it.
Where do I get it? How much? Warranty?

Please provide more info.

That is one question I really hate to answer ;-) A friend coming from US probably would be the best bet. Else KMD zindabad. It comes with 1 year warranty but US warranty only so you will have to spend a couple of thousand to have it sent and get it back from the US via KMD. However, as the thing is just a chipset and a PCB the probability of a failure is very low. Do note nothing beats local warranty though.

It costs about $200 in the US including shipping, so 10K if a friend brings. KMD will charge another 3000, so 13K via KMD. I will say if a friend can bring it its probably the best possible deal you can have. However, if friend is not an option or KMD is too expensive, then the next product I would recommend is WD Live as it is almost identical chipset, albiet slightly slower and doesn't have the torrent/download manager or Movie/Music Jukebox and a 100 other cool apps that A-200 has.

Please have a look at these pics to get an idea what you get with an A-200 ;-)

YAMJ with AEONWALL the ultimate Movie/TV Show watching experience:

[YAMJ] ÆON Movie Wall YAMJ *UPDATE* May 9, 2010 - Clean Up #4

With some tweaks, it can automatically get the relavant Background Wallpapers, IMDB info, Production house, DTS/DD info with logos and thumbnails of a Movie or TV show from the internet once you set it up so no more folder crawling to watch Movies or TV shows

spacenoxx said:

I thought the most intense bluray so far is Avatar and it only averages around 30mbps going up to 40 odd mbps in intense scenes. These are from the PS3 in movie bitrate display. I have *never* seen instantaneous 80mbps when playing blurays as you claim. So far all bluray dumps I've tried play perfectly fine on an xtreamer. My version doesn't do DTS-HD or DD-HD but the newer xtreamer sidewinder does so.

The POHD is super overpriced compared to the xtreamer - has a worse chipset RTL1073 vs RTL1283DD for xtreamer. The clocks are also higher - 500MHz on the xtreamer vs 400 for POHD. I see no reason to get it.

Back