Digital SLR Camera Buying Advice

hyperknight said:
I dont wanna get into SLR photography too much, mainly because I wont be able to afford it :S

U need to get ur hands on a fz40/fz100.

besides the swivel LCD think they are the same. and i think u will find the swivel LCD useful.

hyperknight said:
Unfortunately D3100 is NOT compatible with all previous Nikon lenses. Its been explicitly stated on the amazon page. Bummer. I'm considering the 55-250 lens. I know it may not be long enough for safaris, but I'm definitely not shelling 30k on a super-telephoto lens. plus im an amateur who's never used an SLR. gotta get familiar with my purchase & then look towards other getting another lens. I dont wanna get into SLR photography too much, mainly because I wont be able to afford it :S
DSLR's are surely expensive & not recommend if you are limiting yourself to casual clicking. Moreover DSLR's have a tendency to attract in more accessory equipments (lenses, flashes etc) & hence draining your pockets deeply on the long run.. A good super zoom would be the ideal choice for you.. Its a one time investment & will keep fulfilling your clicking needs for a long time..

Thanks a lot for the advice vinaycm. Actually I was wondeirng if you guys could recommend a good super zoom digi cam? Cannon SX310 IS seems like a good buy. I cant believe it has a 24mm - 850mm focal range.

Also, what would be the disadvantages of the super zoom as compared to an entry level slr? I know that at huge zooms, you can't expect good pics without a tripod or some sort of stand. Anybody with a superzoom care to comment?

Superzooms are pretty good at the starting of the zoom range. Once you start zooming in the image gets soft and AF starts slowing down. The extreme ends of the zoom range will give you very soft images and are not very usable.

^Not to mention the need for a good tripod. Shaky hands will get you nowhere esp. while shooting at higher zooms. :p

^ Plus the speed & responsiveness of a DSLR..

But these factors hardly matter for a casual photographer who intend to capture the moments rather than exploring photography deeply..

I couldnt resist the urge! Just bought a Nikon D3100 off amazon =D =D =D. Gonna have dish out some dough and get me a telephoto lens now =(

can somebody tell me if cheap add-on telephoto lenses (to my standard 18-55mm lens) like this are any good? I obv dont expect them to give me superb pics, but does anybody who's actually used an add on like this have any idea if they'd do the job for me for safaris?

FaH33m said:
@hyperknight .How did you order from amazon to india :S ? Someones getting it from US ?

same doubt.

I did not know that the sx310IS has got that long a range. Is that entirely on optical or is that inclusive of the digital?

FaH33m said:
@hyperknight .How did you order from amazon to india :S ? Someones getting it from US ?
Yeah, someone getting it for me. But on another note, you can buy stuff off amazon.com using an indian credit card & they do ship to india as well now on a LOT of products. SLR cameras included. You should check it out.

On another note, can someone please tell me where can i get SLR accessories in Bombay? I wanna get myself a telephot lens for my camera. I have no idea what areas/places sell such products in bbay. Any help would be appreciated.

Back