Disable Disk Check

Could someone tell me some registry hack/setting to disable the disk check that takes place when the comp is shut down unexpectedly , for eg. due to a power cut, and then rebooted next time ? Actually,the disk check shows "PRESS ANY KEY to CANCEL the CHECK" but it doesnt respond to keyboard presses. It truncated my Firefox booksmarks entry and now I've lost my bookmarks yet again :(

Thx for any help

PS: I tried google but apparently I dont seem to get the right keywords.

It isn't advisable to do this, cos if there is a problem then a check would highlight it.

If there is a prob with power, then get a UPS.

blr_p said:
It isn't advisable to do this, cos if there is a problem then a check would highlight it.

If there is a prob with power, then get a UPS.

yeah but there should be a method to skip this check....my keyboard doesnt skip it....it is really irritating to wait for so long so often

hii...i found this on a forum...try it

Hit Start and then Run, enter this: chkntfs /x c:
That will disable it for drive c. To do it on another drive just change c: to d: for example. Chkntfs works by modifying the BootExcecute value in the Registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\
CONTROL\Session Manager
The default value is BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *

They say u can also use Xsetup to disable the check....

Windows Tips

Um, the reason your keyboard doesn't respond is also something you should look into. I'm guessing you have a USB keyboard, if so, go into the BIOS and check that keyboard type is set to USB (and not PS2)

KingKrool said:
Um, the reason your keyboard doesn't respond is also something you should look into. I'm guessing you have a USB keyboard, if so, go into the BIOS and check that keyboard type is set to USB (and not PS2)

Yes i do use an USB keyboard but my BIOS setting is already configured to support USB keyboard..If i can get the keyboard to respond, it would be the safest solution :D

devp24 said:
hii...i found this on a forum...try it

Hit Start and then Run, enter this: chkntfs /x c:

That will disable it for drive c. To do it on another drive just change c: to d: for example. Chkntfs works by modifying the BootExcecute value in the Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\

CONTROL\Session Manager

The default value is BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *

Thx for the find mate but I already have that key in my registry. Anyways, I feel it is a bit dangerous to disable the diskcheck completely, especially when my HDD is quite old and prone to faults. Just need a method to skip it.

Why dont you reduce its count down time from 10sec to 2sec? this way, it'll reduce wasting of time :p . mine is set to 4sec instead of default 10sec. let me know if you need registry key info.

Back