Discussion on brick and mortar stores

Had similar bad experiences at Croma and Bata. Croma needs to seriously close down - they tried to pawn off a display piece laptop as a new one.

I am no fan of FK because they could have taken steps to curb the script running etc for Redmi/Mi3/etc. Plus, inspite of being registered for the sale - I got the message I was not registered.

Actually there are so many ecom sites now that there is always going to be a competition for price. So, I don't agree that once the B&M stores are out of business( which i think should be done. If they are not competitive). These ecom companies cannot dictate there price. B&M companies are fast becoming irrelevant like middle man who unnecessarily increases the price of the product.
Online is not only cheap but have unlimited variety, you can read comments about the product. There is no deceiving sales guy trying to sell you a bad product. You can decide yourself. Afterall, now a days the B&M shops just sell the product and don't care about after sales service as well. The same is taken care by that specific brand service center.

So, I don't think that leaving a few products. These B&M companies are even relevant by todays standards.

Future is online business. And that's where jobs are going to be created.

On a different note, wont this be similar to the US mom & pop store protests against Walmart/Amazon? And what happened? Internet tax?

On a different note, wont this be similar to the US mom & pop store protests against Walmart/Amazon? And what happened? Internet tax?

I don't know if you're referring to the same incident but IIRC, the problem in that case was that Amazon was actually not charging/collecting taxes in several States. This gave them an unfair advantage over B&M stores that were charging/collecting taxes on sales. Link for more info -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

Not sure if the above issue applies to Amazon.in which categorizes itself as a "Service Provider" rather than a "Seller".

There are already cases where Amazon.in is facing issues in India. One such example is Amazon's "Fulfilment Centers" (ie. - the "Amazon fulfilled" storage facilities). Amazon has (allegedly) spent/is investing a lot of money (reportedly US$ 1-2 Billion) for setting up "Fulfilment Centers" in Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, and Tauru. In essence, these are modern supply & distribution chains - something that India sorely lacks ATM.

The problem is, the Karnataka Govt. states that Amazon is in fact "the owner of these goods" (ie., the items stored at their "Fulfilment Centers") and therefore it needs to pay VAT levied by state governments at each stage of the distribution process — on the value of the goods at that stage!

Obviously Amazon has protested the issue but the Karnataka Government doesn't seem to agree with Amazon's viewpoint. I have little doubt that if Karnataka Govt. persists with this line, Amazon will simply close their warehousing operations in Karnataka.

Its not just Amazon.in BTW. From a news clip -

Third party merchants who have been working with Amazon have received notices from the Karnataka government tax authorities to stop storing their products in Amazon’s storehouses near Bangalore. The government has also banned Amazon from selling any electronics and other products from its warehouse in the state. The notice says that these merchants cannot register Amazon’s warehouse as their “additional place of business”. Amazon’s merchants who work with Flipkart have also received this notice forcing them to stop supplying to Flipkart in Bangalore, as reported on livemint.

Link for more info -

http://www.bgr.in/news/amazon-india...rnataka-government-everything-we-know-so-far/

Another news clip states -
The Karnataka government’s tax department has sent notices to third party merchants working with Amazon India, directing them to stop storing their products in Amazon’s Bangalore fulfillment center.

The report cites two sources to state that the government has sent license cancellation notices to more than 100 third party merchants that primarily sell electronics, apparel, books, toys and other products, thereby stopping Amazon India from selling products through its Bangalore fulfillment center. These apparently include many of the top sellers at Amazon India.

These issues arise primarily due to the fact that India still has many antiquated and outdated laws that pre-date the origin of the Internet & how Internet related business models work for that matter.

A much more serious implication of the above issue is that if Amazon.in is, in fact, categorized as a "seller" rather than the "service provider" it claims to be, they would be in gross violation of India's FDI Rules that prevent more than 51 percent investment in the retail sector!

This would have disastrous consequences not just for Amazon.in but for online retailers like FlipKart and Snapdeal as well due to their foreign VC funding.

There is hope though.

Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah, who also holds the finance portfolio, has apparently directed the commercial taxes department to study laws and issues related to e-commerce and recommend necessary changes.

"The issue is not just confined to Amazon, but to all e-commerce firms. The government is trying to address the issue. We should have clarity in about a month's time,'' said an official in the finance department.

You can read the full article here -
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...mmends-change-of-law/articleshow/42744348.cms

Last edited:
The Enforcement Directorate has issued a showcause notice to e-commerce giant Flipkart seeking a Rs 1000 crore penalty for violating rules during its mega sale. Flipkart's Big Billion Day faced severe criticism from users after facing technical glitches. It also raised concerns among small and big traders that such campaigns would badly affect players in the traditional retail market.

The Enforcement Directorate has issued a showcause notice to e-commerce giant Flipkart seeking a Rs 1000 crore penalty for violating rules during its mega sale. Flipkart's Big Billion Day faced severe criticism from users after facing technical glitches. It also raised concerns among small and big traders that such campaigns would badly affect players in the traditional retail market.

:facepalm:, That's like 2 months old news. And flipkart already answered ED saying "We are in compliance with the laws of the land... will cooperate with authorities when required". And that report has nothing to do with the big billion day sale. It's just bad reporting from CNNIBN.

A few points I have observed

1. Croma definitely is the worst most moronic place I have ever been to. I will not buy from they even if they offer me at competitive prices which they will not anyways.
2. There are good brick and mortar stores which I would not mind going to but things have changed. 5 years back I would go to SP road Bangalore for all my computer needs. I would visit different shops, haggle spend an entire day, then haggle with auto's before finally finally reaching home a tired but happy man. Then, I had more time and more energy. Now I am spoiled by online stores, I can browse hundred's of stores online, get a good price and have it delivered home. I doubt if I will be going to SP road again.

Online is here to stay for good or bad and right now I am enjoying the good part of it.

I don't know if you're referring to the same incident but IIRC, the problem in that case was that Amazon was actually not charging/collecting taxes in several States. This gave them an unfair advantage over B&M stores that were charging/collecting taxes on sales. Link for more info -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

Not sure if the above issue applies to Amazon.in which categorizes itself as a "Service Provider" rather than a "Seller".

There are already cases where Amazon.in is facing issues in India. One such example is Amazon's "Fulfilment Centers" (ie. - the "Amazon fulfilled" storage facilities). Amazon has (allegedly) spent/is investing a lot of money (reportedly US$ 1-2 Billion) for setting up "Fulfilment Centers" in Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, and Tauru. In essence, these are modern supply & distribution chains - something that India sorely lacks ATM.

The problem is, the Karnataka Govt. states that Amazon is in fact "the owner of these goods" (ie., the items stored at their "Fulfilment Centers") and therefore it needs to pay VAT levied by state governments at each stage of the distribution process — on the value of the goods at that stage!

Obviously Amazon has protested the issue but the Karnataka Government doesn't seem to agree with Amazon's viewpoint. I have little doubt that if Karnataka Govt. persists with this line, Amazon will simply close their warehousing operations in Karnataka.

Its not just Amazon.in BTW. From a news clip -

Third party merchants who have been working with Amazon have received notices from the Karnataka government tax authorities to stop storing their products in Amazon’s storehouses near Bangalore. The government has also banned Amazon from selling any electronics and other products from its warehouse in the state. The notice says that these merchants cannot register Amazon’s warehouse as their “additional place of business”. Amazon’s merchants who work with Flipkart have also received this notice forcing them to stop supplying to Flipkart in Bangalore, as reported on livemint.

Link for more info -

http://www.bgr.in/news/amazon-india...rnataka-government-everything-we-know-so-far/

Another news clip states -
The Karnataka government’s tax department has sent notices to third party merchants working with Amazon India, directing them to stop storing their products in Amazon’s Bangalore fulfillment center.

The report cites two sources to state that the government has sent license cancellation notices to more than 100 third party merchants that primarily sell electronics, apparel, books, toys and other products, thereby stopping Amazon India from selling products through its Bangalore fulfillment center. These apparently include many of the top sellers at Amazon India.

These issues arise primarily due to the fact that India still has many antiquated and outdated laws that pre-date the origin of the Internet & how Internet related business models work for that matter.

A much more serious implication of the above issue is that if Amazon.in is, in fact, categorized as a "seller" rather than the "service provider" it claims to be, they would be in gross violation of India's FDI Rules that prevent more than 51 percent investment in the retail sector!

This would have disastrous consequences not just for Amazon.in but for online retailers like FlipKart and Snapdeal as well due to their foreign VC funding.

There is hope though.

Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah, who also holds the finance portfolio, has apparently directed the commercial taxes department to study laws and issues related to e-commerce and recommend necessary changes.

"The issue is not just confined to Amazon, but to all e-commerce firms. The government is trying to address the issue. We should have clarity in about a month's time,'' said an official in the finance department.

You can read the full article here -
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...mmends-change-of-law/articleshow/42744348.cms

Even in US, people have to pay sales tax if Amazon has a warehouse/physical presence in that state, which is nearly every state these days.

Jealous? It's not that. There needs to be policies. You as a customer sure see that you get discounted price for the stuff you buy but have you even thought of those traders/retailers/distributors families? How will they earn money for their bills they pay every month? Seeing something on the internet seems easy. I guess you'd understand if you were born in a family of such traders. Traders don't really enjoy giving you products with higher amount, It all depends on the company itself. Now if Sony is giving a purchasing price for a trader 20,000 and is giving 15,000 to e-tailer, that's totally not fair now is it?

If you think about broad scenario, let's say retailers get's huge loss by flipkart and then closes their stores and move to a a new business, and a business model very much similar to what your Dad or Mom is doing (no pun intended) , how would you react?

Sure, I enjoy hefty discounts and many times shop thru e-commerce sites. But that's one thing. Being Fair is another. It will probably come down to flipkart's ass or the OEM itself.

In world.. Everything has an End
So its an End for the retailers
& I am damn sure. in the next 2-4 years you will hardly see any retail stores..

There was a time when retailers loots customers with their own pricing strategies.
Now customer has a choice why to buy from a retailer when they are getting a same product at lesser price & can compare with different products & that too on the move..
No need to waste time travelling to retailers shop & attend long queue for payment

LOL. Actually mate I'm from Jammu and deal in big consumer goods(not phones or other small items) and most of the products flipkart was selling didn't have the eligibility of shipping to Jammu's pincode. So, we didn't go affected at all. Also, was just talking to distributor that day and he said, we(north distributors) specifically blocked the shipments here from flipkart because they are committed to B&M shops.

About being butthurt, read your earlier post again and again and I hope you know who is butthurt. I'm just enjoying the civil conversation we are having here, sure I'm in minority here who has an opinion not shared by most people but atleast I'm not going all mad saying F%#@U! to everyone. Keep calm :)

Very soon service will be available for J&K
close all retail shops... still looting consumers

Very soon service will be available for J&K
close all retail shops... still looting consumers

I have some customers, who don't think so. It's all about being loyal to your customer base and giving them respect with good prices. Don't bias your judgement for all retail shops just by experiencing few.

I have some customers, who don't think so. It's all about being loyal to your customer base and giving them respect with good prices. Don't bias your judgement for all retail shops just by experiencing few.

Retail provides customer service is just to sold the products.
Where as e-commerce provide solution for After sales service & that to on the go

Last edited:
Back