DIY Mesh

well, i would recommend the orbi from netgear for a plug n play mesh. else i would go with mikrotik which is easier to setup.
open wrt for a dlink is going to be hardware painful imo. whats your budget? in the example you have given, 3x3 wifi ac is a given, min 2x2 reqd.
not really worth the hassle on dlink, imho.

I already have a mesh in place with Deco M5 and will be extending it later.

This is purely a project just for learning and etc. Not planning to use at all in my house. Might donate or sell the stuff off once done.

I am also on the same boat, I have a NetGear R7000, TP Link C60(will change soon). And a Technicolor gateway. Let me know what you follow

Two issues.. One, I doubt that 802.11r will work effectively by just enabling r,k,v flags on independent APs as that article claims..

Both Orbi (that I had earlier) and omada (now) rely on additional computational logic to effectively push and move clients around..
(E.g. on omada, when the central controller OS
goes offline for any reason, the roaming performance deteriorates drastically)

Two, I'm not sure if there are any cost benefits to be gained.
This cannot be compared to tri band dedicated backhaul solutions like velop or Orbi
And dual band solutions like deco are very likely cheaper as a combo deal than buying independent APs

Well I am in the boat now, I have fitted wired backbone to all my rooms and am using the different routers as dumb access points. mesh was something I was looking at but then again the track record of the manufacturers supporting and updating the firmware is not exactly great. Orbi comes with wired backbone ? For me spending around 3k to get the wired backbone was cheaper than the wireless repeater(read unreliable) solution.

Well I am in the boat now, I have fitted wired backbone to all my rooms and am using the different routers as dumb access points. mesh was something I was looking at but then again the track record of the manufacturers supporting and updating the firmware is not exactly great. Orbi comes with wired backbone ? For me spending around 3k to get the wired backbone was cheaper than the wireless repeater(read unreliable) solution.
orbi has wired and wireless backbone. ideally triple chain helps aid the backbone wireless connectivity. completely agree with superczar's comments though.
the hardware cost for triple chain devices + effort around manual configs will be equivalent to an orbi/velop off the shelf/ good deal/discount purchase.

I just set up my Orbi over the weekend and I am missing a nifty feature from my Asus RT-AC68U. I set up my router to be the DHCP server and pihole on a Raspberry Pi with Conditional forwarding set to on.

That way pihole could differentiate between each client without the pihole being the DHCP server.

But in Orbi I can see that all nslookup requests go to 192.168.1.1 and it seems to have a DNS relay i.e. the clients send the DNS request to the router and the router sends it to 192.168.1.200 (i.e. the pihole).

So all requests on pihole dashboard are showing up as traffic from the router itself.

Now the reason why I don't want the pihole to be the DHCP server is because I don't really trust the flimsy Pi Zero W I use to be a robust DHCP option.

Anyone has a Orbi+pihole setup who has managed a workaround?

Two issues.. One, I doubt that 802.11r will work effectively by just enabling r,k,v flags on independent APs as that article claims..

Both Orbi (that I had earlier) and omada (now) rely on additional computational logic to effectively push and move clients around..
(E.g. on omada, when the central controller OS
goes offline for any reason, the roaming performance deteriorates drastically)

Two, I'm not sure if there are any cost benefits to be gained.
This cannot be compared to tri band dedicated backhaul solutions like velop or Orbi
And dual band solutions like deco are very likely cheaper as a combo deal than buying independent APs

I also think so, but can only verify post trying. Planning to get this https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Archer-C6-Wireless-MU-MIMO/dp/B07GVR9TG7/

Additional computational logic sounds like ML - when its actually just checking the power from client to the APs and then basically telling it to connect to a specific AP :D

Cost benefits are not the issue here. This is purely a POC kinda thing, would be useful to use good radios but be independent from the cloud or software they impose. Not gonna happen today, but maybe in sometime.

Back