Do games run considerably faster if run on another drive

psyph3r

Skilled
So i was thinking, is there a big margin, if i install games on a separate dedicated drive.
Will running the OS on another + games on a dedicated drive have its advantages.
I will not consider doin this if the performance gap is minor.
Please leave comments.

It depends on the games you are playing!!!!!!!!! Hmm... but as per my experience, it doesn't make much difference... But having dedicated drive might be beneficial sometimes, as you will save the time(installing the same again), even after formatting your machine........ Besides, if you are using more than a single OS(e.g.Windows 7), it might be useful(not in case of all games)......:hap2:

Hope you are satisfied.......................................

It depends on the hard disk, infact most of the people install the OS and the games on the faster hard disk. Besides that no difference...

No way it's gonna differ unless you have a little space left in the drive in which you have OS and the game.
and also, if it's a lightweight game, that is also not applicable..

The only thing that you will notice with faster HDD, raid 0 arrays is lesser load times. it should not should affect performance unless something else is screwed up with your system.

Those who notice "considerable difference" in their gaming performance with faster HDD have it all in their head :p

Rightly said shripad...only affects loading...in recent ones in-game loading.

I keep a seperate logical uncompressed partition which is always defragged for installing games...i doubt whether its of any help though:)

The only way games would run faster is if your games installation files are on one drive and your page file is on another drive. This gives fastest loading rates when page files get loaded with game data when playing.

But nowdays, with systems >= 4 gb of memory, rarely do page files get accessed unless its a game having huge textures. So this tweak is not really effective with the uber systems.

And yes, like Shripad mentioned, faster hard drives dont mean better fps. They only translate to faster loading times.

True :lol: :)

Shripad said:
The only thing that you will notice with faster HDD, raid 0 arrays is lesser load times. it should not should affect performance unless something else is screwed up with your system.

Those who notice "considerable difference" in their gaming performance with faster HDD have it all in their head :p

I'd tried this thing on my rig & to say the truth didnt see any noticeable diff in perf.loading times were a wee bit faster, maybe but thats bout all.u wont notice it at all.

Back