Do I need to unlock my Aadhaar biometrics?

TinTinSnowy

Adept
Dec 1, 2020
Hi,

I will be traveling to another city soon and was reading about the process for getting a replacement SIM if my phone is lost. I found out we need to authenticate with biometrics/fingerprint to get a replacement SIM. I keep my Aadhaar biometrics locked for security. I'm concerned that keeping them locked might prevent me from getting a replacement SIM.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice?

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
Aug 22, 2011
The question is, do they still need biometrics to get a new SIM card? It used to be the case many years ago, sure. But then a court ruled against biometric verification for SIM cards, ensuring that copying and cloning SIM cards would be a breeze.

Last time I replaced my sim card, there was no biometric process (fingerprint scanning) involved like before.

Better ask customer care of your telecom.

TinTinSnowy

Adept
Dec 1, 2020
@lockhrt999 It seems that the biometrics are mandatory now. :(

Reactions: lockhrt999

rajanmehta

Disciple
Feb 21, 2006
I found out we need to authenticate with biometrics/fingerprint to get a replacement SIM. I keep my Aadhaar biometrics locked for security. I'm concerned that keeping them locked might prevent me from getting a replacement SIM.
Currently Aadhaar biometrics is one of the option for getting a replacement SIM but it is not mandatory. You can give any other valid accepted ID proof like PAN Card, Passport Copy etc. For Photo they will click it. The new telecom bill you mentioned in the link is passed but the rules are not yet notified, so it is not mandatory as of now.

Reactions: TinTinSnowy

ze_cook

Disciple
Jun 29, 2020
Hi,

I will be traveling to another city soon and was reading about the process for getting a replacement SIM if my phone is lost. I found out we need to authenticate with biometrics/fingerprint to get a replacement SIM. I keep my Aadhaar biometrics locked for security. I'm concerned that keeping them locked might prevent me from getting a replacement SIM.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice?
Depends on the service provider I guess. When my father's phone was stolen last month, BSNL provided a replacement sim without aadhaar check, but they did require a report from police station. Thankfully that was the aadhaar sim, so when VI asked for biometrics for a replacement, he was able to unlock it.

Reactions: TinTinSnowy

TinTinSnowy

Adept
Dec 1, 2020
Currently Aadhaar biometrics is one of the option for getting a replacement SIM but it is not mandatory. You can give any other valid accepted ID proof like PAN Card, Passport Copy etc. For Photo they will click it. The new telecom bill you mentioned in the link is passed but the rules are not yet notified, so it is not mandatory as of now.
I called the Jio helpline, and they said biometrics are mandatory for getting a new or replacement SIM. I'll need to bring my original ID to the store since they don't accept DigiLocker. They advised me to keep my biometrics unlocked. If my Aadhaar number is locked, I'll have to unlock it through UIDAI, which requires updating my phone number first. This process takes some time. I'm unlocking my Aadhaar card because the new telecom bill mandates it, and it looks like Jio wants to stay ahead of the curve.

Edit: Why don't the government allow disabling the Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AEPS) from the Aadhaar site/app? This way, I could keep the biometrics unlocked without worrying about fraud.

Edit 2: I am emailing my bank to request the disabling of AEPS, following this format. https://www.technofino.in/community...nabled-payment-service-aeps.13417/post-234703

Last edited:

technofast

Huh?
Adept
Aug 26, 2011
Chennai
Recently when I applied and got the Amazon ICICI credit card I was asked for Aadhar biometric. The bank guy carried the finger print scanner to my home and got my biometric scanned. The bank did not accept any other id proof.

TinTinSnowy

Adept
Dec 1, 2020
Recently when I applied and got the Amazon ICICI credit card I was asked for Aadhar biometric. The bank guy carried the finger print scanner to my home and got my biometric scanned. The bank did not accept any other id proof.
The future is filled with mandatory biometrics. We have already seen the initial signs with the new telecom act and DigiYatra at airports. Passwords, once stolen, can be changed, but biometrics cannot.

Reactions: kiran6680

Ragin_Ice

Adept
Jan 25, 2005
I just got a new jio sim card and also had my biometrics locked.

1. You need to unlock your aadhar biometrics
2. There is a temp option to unlock it for 10 mins where it will lock on its own after 10 mins which is good enough to get your Jio sim. I went to the store with my laptop. Used a hotspot to unlock my biometrics there and then. They then finished the verification within 5 mins.

TinTinSnowy

Adept
Dec 1, 2020
2. There is a temp option to unlock it for 10 mins where it will lock on its own after 10 mins.
If you have access to your Aadhaar-linked SIM, it works. However, if your SIM or phone is lost or stolen, you cannot use it. In that case, you need to update your Aadhaar with an alternate number.

I've unlocked my biometrics and am now contacting my banks to disable AEPS.

Afxal

Disciple
Dec 21, 2023
If your Jio sim is Aadhaar linked, and it gets lost, then you will have to go to police station to get a copy of the complaint. Then, to an Aadhaar update center where they will unlock your biometrics by again taking your biometrics. Then only your Jio sim will be replaced.

This happened to my friend around a month ago, and he was so stressed because Jio wasn't issuing him a replacement unless he unlocks his biometrics, which were locked via his lost sim.

TinTinSnowy

Adept
Dec 1, 2020
Is there any way for banks to disable AePS without delinking Aadhaar from the bank account? The only suggestion banks provide is to lock the biometric. This article clearly mentions all the pitfalls of AePS.
I'm not sure about that. I have written to the grievance department of all my and my family's banks to disable AePS. Let's see what their reply is.

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Mar 24, 2005
51nD m3!
www.techenclave.com
Depends on the service provider I guess. When my father's phone was stolen last month, BSNL provided a replacement sim without aadhaar check, but they did require a report from police station. Thankfully that was the aadhaar sim, so when VI asked for biometrics for a replacement, he was able to unlock it.
+1 bsnl doesn't require any biometrics. Jio does and I think airtel too but do confirm on their current policy.

TinTinSnowy

Adept
Dec 1, 2020
Update:

HDFC and AU Bank accepted the request to disable AePS via email and will complete it in 3 working days. Union Bank of India and SBI require an in-branch visit. I'll take my family members to the branch first thing tomorrow to get this done. I think I can keep the biometrics enabled without any risk post this.
+1 bsnl doesn't require any biometrics. Jio does and I think airtel too but do confirm on their current policy.
For now, just for a few days, the new telecom act rules will be notified after the Lok Sabha election. BSNL will have to follow.

Hachune

Disciple
Feb 23, 2021
Sorry for hijacking the thread but since it's related, does anyone know whether you need to provide aadhaar to claim ownership of your sim card?
Is claiming ownership of a sim card (name change) even possible/permissible within one provider?

Asking because airtel is holding a campaign that people using sim cards not booked in their name will be terminated, they offer name change for people whilst transferring their phone number to airtel. I heard they also always ask for aadhaar.

ikkhan

Patron
Patron
Jan 17, 2023
Sorry for hijacking the thread but since it's related, does anyone know whether you need to provide aadhaar to claim ownership of your sim card?
Is claiming ownership of a sim card (name change) even possible/permissible within one provider?

Asking because airtel is holding a campaign that people using sim cards not booked in their name will be terminated, they offer name change for people whilst transferring their phone number to airtel. I heard they also always ask for aadhaar.
They will ask for aadhar card as well as force you to join postpaid service