Audio Do iPods have poor sound quality?

FaH33m said:
^You don't have to move around with the SHP 9000 on your head :p. I use it for relaxed listening at night usually. Infact the real fun with these babies has just started, thanks to the EF2A DAC and amp :D.

what is the price of SHP 9000? And how does this compare to HD-202?

^Haven't tried HD-202 but it's similar(more bassy)to the HD 201 I owned earlier. The SHP 9000 retail for 4k MRP .Can be found for ~3.5k , but the thing is it's not easily available with any dealer. You would be lucky to find one. It sounds lot better the HD-201 as its a flagship Philips model .It's also called as the poor man's HD 555 /595 on head-fi as it has a similar sound signature for half the price.

The SQ is really amazing but needs a lot of power to be driven to it's best.So I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a card like the D2X/STX or one with built in headphone amp .Best thing is they are super light and comfortable, they totally sit around the ears and at times I don't even feel as if there's a big headphone on my head :p.

FaH33m said:
The SQ of the Amp3 Pro is definitely a big upgrade from the Cowon , because I remember I had tried both back to back.The thing with Amp3 is it's really powerful(the need for a basic amp is eliminated) and the whole detailing , sound stage is on a different level.It's difficult to explain by words.:p

Too many "bad" people here - as in tempting me to spend a bit more :bleh:

I asked the question because I do not want to spend too much for a 2-3% betterment in SQ. The question always is whether to spend 50% for 80% SQ or 100% for 99%? But, from the feedback, it seems to be worthy.

I'd like to go slow though. As of now, I only have entry/mid level headphones and IEM, which pose no trouble for S9 to drive. Considering that all of my purchases are in the last 4 months, I see no point in spending for my 3rd DAP as of now :)

Next on my list would be to upgrade my PC experience with a DAC (+ Amp). Considering NuForce uDAC (+ a EF2A or better when I get HD-600 or equivalent). So, Amp3 can wait....for now.

blr_p said:
Don't you have to crank up the volume tho ?

I'd think, long term, IEM's would be more detrimental to hearing in a noisy environment :|

You've got it all wrong mate, its the other way round .Here's why . :)

Although putting on a pair of IEM may seem troublesome, the benefits of a sealed sound are plentiful. Besides having better sound quality in general, the careful use of IEM can also contribute to the prevention of hearing loss. Here’s why.

The seal of the ear canal from a pair of IEM blocks out external sound, thus reducing the total noise level exposed to the listener. In noisy environment, many with traditional earbuds tend to turn up the volume of their music in order drown out external noises. Under long-term exposure, this creates an extremely hazardous effect on one’s hearing. For example, on the bus, street traffic can reach up to 80 – 90 decibels (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association). In order to sufficiently hear one’s music over this level, one would have to crank their music up to at least 85 – 95 decibels. According to the ASHA, “Sounds louder than 80 decibels are considered potentially hazardous.” Needless to say, this is no way to enjoy music safely.

On the other hand, a pair of IEM when properly sealed can reduce up to 80% - 90% of ambient sound. With traffic noise out of the way, you can easily appreciate your music using only 2/3 – 3/4 of supposed volume. Just make sure to keep your eyes open so you don’t miss your stop!
Source : WHY IEM? | Hearing Loss and Safety | Compudio Gadget Reviews

Another interesting article related to hearing loss and earphones .

http://blog.hifiheadphones.co.uk/2008/03/06/are-in-ear-headphones-ear-canal-headphones-safe/

I feel anything done in extremes( beyond limits) is not safe.Be it speakers or earphones.

I agree that IEM's are better than normal earphones in a noisy environment.

Question is how much louder do you need to listen with IEM's in a noisy environment ?

Surely louder than in a less noisy environment.

So how much louder ? 10%, 20%, 50% ?? --say on a bus or walking by the road.

Given these earphones are closer to the ear than the others a little increase has more effect than with conventional ones , no ?

^ You don't have to , An IEM with a good / perfect seal performs the same in super quite and a noisy environment. Max to max you need to crank up the volume 1-2 notches above(~10-15%) and that is very less compared to a traditional earphone where you have to crank up to the max at times. almost 40-50% more volume and still lose out on the details . :)

An IEM with a good / perfect seal performs the same in super quite and a noisy environment.
Ok, so key is a good seal then. How comfortable is to wear over a long period ?

Ideally, you should not be able to feel anything. That it would not be noticeable you were even wearing any IEM's.

blr_p said:
Ok, so key is a good seal then. How comfortable is to wear over a long period ?

Ideally, you should not be able to feel anything. That it would not be noticeable you were even wearing any IEM's.

it's the conventional earphone that can create more ear fatigue as you need to crank up the volume in noisy env and still both external noise and loud audio get to your eardrum. in case of iems, as the externl noise is alwas filtered, the fatigue will be lot less or none.

In your experience. Understand that you've been round the corner a few times with this.

I think it would take some effort to find the right match to be sure. Unfortunately it might be harder to do that here than abroad where there would be more options to cater for the variety of ear size canals. This could change in the future as demand grows of course.

I was reading an article written by an elderly gentleman about hearing aids. He mentioned that the ppl came over and took a mould of his ear canal and then made a custom pair.

Wouldn't a similar approach with IEM's be perfect ?

the pair this guy was looking at was in the 3 lakhs range !!! so might be some time before it happens with IEM's

unless you go for custom seals, the silcon seals are more or less of same size and you get them in three sizes. unless one has unusually tiny or large ear canal, one of the three will give perfect fit. another wy of nose cancelling is ctive noise cancelling but the eaprhones/headphones are costly. they use an electronic circuitry that sent snds inverse wave of external noise to you ear thus cancelling noise.

blr_p said:
I was reading an article written by an elderly gentleman about hearing aids. He mentioned that the ppl came over and took a mould of his ear canal and then made a custom pair.

the pair this guy was looking at was in the 3 lakhs range !!! so might be some time before it happens with IEM's

Custom earphones are already available with brands like Ultimate ears ,Westone,Jerry Harvey Audio etc. :)

blr_p said:

Some people even make their own molds for $40 :)

nukeu666 said:
^ im expecting a new amp in 1-2 months ;)

*Cough* Pico Slim ? *Cough

A very interesting thread here. :)

And no Ipods do not have poor sound quality. However the 6G Classic that I have has a rather bright sound signature with lesser bass which causes a lot of pairing problems with different earphones. For instance any bass light earphones like the PL-30, sound lifeless without EQ. Also a bright earphone like the Hippo VB sounds very shrill on the Ipod.

So IMHO I would not suggest an Ipod for pure sound quality. Get it if you want ease of use and lots of storage (classic).

The current gen Nano actually sounds quite nice with my RE0 - much much better than any other ipod I've heard till date. Its actually quite listenable.

BF1983 said:
So IMHO I would not suggest an Ipod for pure sound quality. Get it if you want ease of use and lots of storage (classic).

With the booming capacity of Flash based players, Ipod Classic seems to be the last of a dying breed, unfortunately. I do not know if any other new HDD based players are being announced.

On a somewhat related (or unrelated :)) topic, a lot of iPods, a few Sansas and Cowon D2 (though it is incomplete and may be even buggy) have Rockbox support. Has anybody tried Rockbox-ing their players? Does it add anything to SQ of players?

Back