Do we really deserve a 32-bit OS as a Next Generation OS

satyanjoy

Skilled
Aug 23, 2007
Bangalore
www.ekok.in
I am tempted to start this thread after the reading the article "Unreal Creator Tim Sweeney: "PCs Are Good For Anything, Just Not Games""-long ago I read couple of Article explaining why a PS2 with very minimal hardware configuration can run a rich game in compare with a pc with better or equal configuration.I am not a a that much technical gung ho--but I can expect few of our TE veteran will enlighten us

//

Don't you think M$ should push 64bit computing heavily- or Vista should 64bit only--why they are supporting 32bit computing

sunbiz_3000

Adept
Apr 25, 2005
www.mavaindia.org
as of the current 64-bit architecture of PCs that we have is all about being able to support more RAM... there is no other reason for pushing 64-bit... 64-bit doesnt improve performance per se.. its only useful since it can accomodate more RAM i.e 4GB and higher!!

And the reason why Microsoft released 32-bit Vista is because the moron hardware manufacturers wouldnt ship drivers... or had buggy drivers... We all blame Microsoft for all the bad things in the start of Vista launch, but you should blame the hardware vendors...

satyanjoy

Skilled
Aug 23, 2007
Bangalore
www.ekok.in
sunbiz_3000 said:
as of the current 64-bit architecture of PCs that we have is all about being able to support more RAM... there is no other reason for pushing 64-bit... 64-bit doesnt improve performance per se.. its only useful since it can accomodate more RAM i.e 4GB and higher!!

And the reason why Microsoft released 32-bit Vista is because the moron hardware manufacturers wouldnt ship drivers... or had buggy drivers... We all blame Microsoft for all the bad things in the start of Vista launch, but you should blame the hardware vendors...

yeah..thats why I blame M$--they are creator of DirectX-the major gaming API which change the PC gaming(thanks to M$),also they are maker of very popular OSs like Win 98 and Win Xp..the PC gaming is largly depend on how M$ is pushing the things--this is the time when M$-Intel-Nvidia-AMD-Sun should join hands an develop a PC gaming consortium

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
I hope (and am willing to bet) that the next version of Windows (currently named "Windows 7") will be 64-bit only.

I guess by the time Win7 is released 4 GB RAM will be standard on new desktops, but they might want to support current 2GB desktops and might again offer 32bit version.

I also hope they break with backward compatibiliy and only support a min of XP/Vista APIs and DirectX 9 or 10.

Checksum

Skilled
Aug 3, 2005
64 bit architecture does more than just support for larger amounts of RAM. The problem here is that not many software are written specifically to support 64 bit operation. I'm sure that once game developers begin the shift to native 64-bit code, things should improve on the PC.

KingKrool

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
The problem MS had with 64 bit is the same problem which meant that 64 bit XP could never be released to the mainstream - drivers.

And it is shameful - all those motherboard manufacturers and OEMs sell a 64 bit PC to you (Intel Core 2 Duo with EM64T!!!) and then refuse to provide 64 bit drivers.

Rumour has it that the next version of Windows will be the last to see 32 bit in any form.

hatter

Skilled
Dec 1, 2007
Now that we are at it...
It can't get better than this:

Three very senior M$ executives moved to Vista only to find the OS incompatible with their hardware. They were not forced to curse the new OS but also had to go back to XP to get things done :

From the article:
It turns out that Mike is clearly not a naïf. He’s Mike Nash, a Microsoft vice president who oversees Windows product management. And Jon, who is dismayed to learn that the drivers he needs don’t exist? That’s Jon A. Shirley, a Microsoft board member and former president and chief operating officer. And Steven, who reports that missing drivers are anything but exceptional, is in a good position to know: he’s Steven Sinofsky, the company’s senior vice president responsible for Windows.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Link via New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/b...artner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
as of the current 64-bit architecture of PCs that we have is all about being able to support more RAM... there is no other reason for pushing 64-bit... 64-bit doesn't improve performance per se.. its only useful since it can accomodate more RAM i.e 4GB and higher!!

I have to agree, the RAM is only a part of it, 64 bit means a wider bus, so of course it's faster than 32 bit, but as mentioned above there is not a lot of software that supports it yet. Of course, the other added element is multi-threading in 64 bit, this is also becoming defacto as multiple core processors become mainstream. I am sure the next version of windows will really be able to handle multi-threading a lot better too. I don't think it is outrageous to be thinking of 8 core processors over the next few years or so..... and then what's next :p

Kumar

Skilled
Feb 23, 2005
Agree with all the above posters. The only thing holding 64bit back are the drivers. I used the 64bit version happyly untill I got a USB LAN dongle without 64bit drivers forced me to change to 32bit.

leomax

Adept
May 8, 2006
PiXeLpUsHeR said:
I have to agree, the RAM is only a part of it, 64 bit means a wider bus, so of course it's faster than 32 bit, but as mentioned above there is not a lot of software that supports it yet. Of course, the other added element is multi-threading in 64 bit, this is also becoming defacto as multiple core processors become mainstream. I am sure the next version of windows will really be able to handle multi-threading a lot better too. I don't think it is outrageous to be thinking of 8 core processors over the next few years or so..... and then what's next :p
you mean registers?

KingKrool

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
The multicore part exists irrespective of whether you have a 32 or 64 bit processor.

Also, if you want an easy upgrade path to Win 7, you might want to try Vista out.

octave

Adept
Oct 18, 2005
morgoth said:
Now that we are at it...
It can't get better than this:

Three very senior M$ executives moved to Vista only to find the OS incompatible with their hardware. They were not forced to curse the new OS but also had to go back to XP to get things done :

From the article:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Link via New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/b...artner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Actually its their feb 2007 internal communication @ Microsoft. I doubt if there is any problem with driver support in march 2008.

montylee

Skilled
Jul 20, 2006
funwithlinux.blogspot.com
satyanjoy said:
yeah..thats why I blame M$--they are creator of DirectX-the major gaming API which change the PC gaming(thanks to M$),also they are maker of very popular OSs like Win 98 and Win Xp..the PC gaming is largly depend on how M$ is pushing the things--this is the time when M$-Intel-Nvidia-AMD-Sun should join hands an develop a PC gaming consortium

now u r thanking MS for creating DirectX. I think they started the monopoly by creating DirectX. They were a part of OpenGL consortium before DirectX was introduced. But then they bought a company working on a graphics API, renamed it DirectX and left the OpenGL consortium. All this was done so that they could monopolize the gaming on Windows only. If they had stayed in OpenGL consortium, OpenGL would have been the standard API and Linux would have been able to run all the games and that would have been disaster for Windows.

KingKrool

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
Actually, if you look at the history of OpenGL, you'll realize they are responsible for their own fate. You can ask Chaos, who knows more about this; but the gist of it is that OpenGL never had a gaming focus and was dominated by companies that were interested in scientific and industrial visualization which has quite different demands than gaming. That was fiar enough, at the time that was where the money in 3d rendering work was. MS of course had no presence in that business. As a result, MS created their own gaming and media oriented API (DirectX). If not, we'd probably currently have each gfx card manufacturer providing their own API (anyone remember Glide?).

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
not to mention the fact that not only did MS create its own API.. they also started shipping Windows with a broken and utterly pathetic implementation of OGL..

satyanjoy

Skilled
Aug 23, 2007
Bangalore
www.ekok.in
montylee said:
now u r thanking MS for creating DirectX. I think they started the monopoly by creating DirectX. They were a part of OpenGL consortium before DirectX was introduced. But then they bought a company working on a graphics API, renamed it DirectX and left the OpenGL consortium. All this was done so that they could monopolize the gaming on Windows only. If they had stayed in OpenGL consortium, OpenGL would have been the standard API and Linux would have been able to run all the games and that would have been disaster for Windows.

I was not aware of that--good point--sony is still supporting opengl and thats why their consoles dont support directx games

I thanks M$ --becaz directx is a good set of API and making coding games for windows really easy

Arun.P

Warning: Do Not Trade
Skilled
Jul 24, 2007
KingKrool said:
Actually, if you look at the history of OpenGL, you'll realize they are responsible for their own fate. You can ask Chaos, who knows more about this; but the gist of it is that OpenGL never had a gaming focus and was dominated by companies that were interested in scientific and industrial visualization which has quite different demands than gaming. That was fiar enough, at the time that was where the money in 3d rendering work was. MS of course had no presence in that business. As a result, MS created their own gaming and media oriented API (DirectX). If not, we'd probably currently have each gfx card manufacturer providing their own API (anyone remember Glide?).

oh i read is this are many 64 bit bug due you direct games crash issue

btw well 64 bit improve more fps better than 32 bit

i hope i will install 64 bit new os later after the final driver will be soon then i can test this one