Audio Do you hear music at safe volume?

with....Blackberry ...100%(TF10 ....but i am currently at home using desktop setup most of the times)

with D1+K702 ....75-80%......:( am i going to die!! ....i just can not lower the volume with AKGs ....NO!

To test your hearing (and to find out if there's any actual hearing loss), use this : Test Hearing

(Thanks to: dfkt in this abi thread - I has golden ear??? - Random Chat - abi>>forums)

But, the headphones / ear phones used might give a skewed response. I used PFE and could hear the 20 Khz tone at lower than "normal" levels (click Print at the end of it to see normal ranges). How come? May be haraakiri can do the test and see if he hears it too!

Hi Guys,

Most of the time I hear to Brainwavz M1 + sansa clip+(rockboxed) at volume -25 to -15. I dont know how to calculate the % corresponding to that. Do you guys think is that a normal volume level ?

I don't know about M1, but that's the rough range I listen too: -28 to -18 for almost all IEMs, and most of them around -25. I listen in a quiet environment almost all the time.

esanthosh said:
I don't know about M1, but that's the rough range I listen too: -28 to -18 for almost all IEMs, and most of them around -25. I listen in a quiet environment almost all the time.
So it looks like ok I guess.

Thanks for the hearing test link though. I just tried the test using my Senn HD202, and my results shows the average Hearing Loss Level as 26db ("Mild") :)

Did you try it yourself ?

esanthosh said:
To test your hearing (and to find out if there's any actual hearing loss), use this : Test Hearing

(Thanks to: dfkt in this abi thread - I has golden ear??? - Random Chat - abi>>forums)

But, the headphones / ear phones used might give a skewed response. I used PFE and could hear the 20 Khz tone at lower than "normal" levels (click Print at the end of it to see normal ranges). How come? May be haraakiri can do the test and see if he hears it too!
I cannot hear any tone when i click on the start calibration button. tried both headphones and speakers. something wrong or what?

i can hear tones when i do the test though.

^ I too cannot hear any tone with the Aural Calibration. Just keep it at max and do the test. With SLM calibration, I could hear the tone and set it to a level where my SPL meter showed around 60dB.

^ then taking the test wont make sense, right? it makes sense if i can set the volume to least possible volume not max. difference between max and least possible volume would add unknown amount of db to the volume right? anyway, i cant hear the tone with slm calibration too. somethings wrong with that java applet.

^ But, I could hear SLM, which is what I used for my "audiogram". Is there anybody who could hear the "Aural Calibration" tone? I could barely hear it at max (or I had placebo of hearing it).

^^I was able to hear Aural caliberation tone quite clearly at max level, i started from max and was able to reduce 40% of the total volume bar.

Itndepends on the volume, as I have sparrow, I could hear aural if I increase the volume.

My right ear needs 3db more than my left ear in the lows, mids are the same, but highs again left is better. :(

Thanks a lot Santosh, for the link. :)

Testing for hearing threshold can be very tricky,PTA is no longer the investigation of choice,AEP,tympanometry and OAE are gradually replacing the good old audiometry.

And the upper limit of 85dB for 8 hr is mostly used for exposure to industrial noise as outlined in OSHA manual(NIOSH recommends even less,probably around 80 dB,too lazy to find the exact values).I am not sure if these values are applicable for music also.

totally depends upon the type of music, and most importantly, the noise cancellation.
try to listen to music in a jam packed railway station at 100%.. it will still be less audible/noticeable than the same music at 10% at dead silent night.

i generally listen at 10-20% to very soft music when i want to put myself to sleep :p.
and at 80-100% when i want to get possessed by the music/noise :p

Back