Do you really need a high end gaming rig?

kvikram

Skilled
One of my first posts on TE was asking a config for a gaming rig for 100k. I had never assembled a PC before and was scared about what I would do if something went wrong, especially since I don't live in a metro. And I wasn't quite sure about the authenticity of the local PC assemblers - whether they would care about static electricity and stuff like that.

Eventually I decided on a Dell Studio XPS 7100, with a reasonably fast ATI Radeon HD 5870 and AMD X6 1090T 3.2 Ghz processor for 71k without monitor. I settled with an old 22-inch monitor.

And honestly, right now, after playing Crysis, Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2, I realize the scarcity of graphically demanding games out there. Most PC games would have run well enough on a cheaper PC. And right now, all I'm playing is TF2. There are a lot of good PC games and PC exclusives out there, but most don't seem to want all the power my computer can give 'em.

And when I'm not playing TF2, I'm playing a console port like Prince of Persia, which would have been a better experience on a console playing with a controller on my 32" TV, instead of my puny monitor. And since gaming is only half of the stuff I do on the computer, keeping it permanently connected to the TV is a big hassle.

Unless you're REALLY crazy about playing games like Crysis and BF3 on full settings, I think a mid-range PC for 50-60k and a console connected to the TV is the best combination.

Expecting heated arguments :p

I would not call a PC that costs 60K as a mid-end PC! A 60k PC with components chosen wisely based on what games you play should easily be enough for the next 18 months. And why would you need a console if you already have a good PC. There are a lot of people who would actually like to play games rather then watching the games play themselves on their TV!

Well, in my opinion it all comes down to personal preference to be honest. Some guys are content with playing games at 720p resolution while sopme like me prefer the absolute best the game has to offer and settle for no less than a full hd resolution. Isn't the whole reason why you are gaming on a PC instead of a console is to get a better graphical experience?

With that said, you really don't need a high end card to enjoy most games these days. Thanks to multi-platforming ( A good thing ), most games will be manageable even on a mid range card. I myself have a HD 5770 which can still run most games out there on full hd resolution. The reason for opting for a high end card is more to do with future proofing the rig and ofcourse getting the best experience possible.

P.S : Your decision to opt for a branded PC wasn't the wisest, being a techi or atleast a TE member, you should have known better. :)

...really depends on how many FPS you are after.

...depends how much eye candy means to you.

...depends on if gaming is your Hobby or you have an interest in building PC's and tech. too?

...depends on where your priorities are in spending that kinda cash.

...No I dont think one NEEDS a High end PC as a matter of fact no one NEEDS to game either.

Its just a personal preference...

Do we need a fast car to go from Point A to Point B. No even a rickshaw would do but we still invest in High end cars...similarly its up to the user how inclined towards games or technology they are....

...talking about myself for me its an Hobby to build PC's I game but I dont call myself a Hardcore gamer, I game when I can, why do I like to have a high end PC if I don't game or do any productive work on it, cause it a hobby, and nothing more. No I dont strive to break every bench nor am I part of WCG or anything, its just a hobby.

Coming to the Console part and a TV connected, yeah I have that too and its fun when friends are over but nothing like a good PC FPS or strategy game to spend long sessions on, and of course its a plus when you have a machine that can churn out your desired FPS without any issue.

Its similar to how many Mhz does one gaing from going the WaterCooled way, not much and there is nothing called VFM in that regards but its just a hobby like any other.

:)

^^ I agree. @OP, what where you thinking when you bought that system? Did you want to just play a game... or play a game in all its glory? If it's the latter, then you have money well-spent. If it's the former then, you should have researched better. Regarding a game not able to utilize your system for 100%, I would like you to wait for few months for some other games to come by. The thing about PC gaming is, every other game developer wants to stretch the existing hardware to its limit. And every other hardware manufacturer wants to cream such a game. If by playing console ports you're disappointed, then you should understand that with consoles, developers know their hardware limits. On the other hand, PC hardware is on a six monthly cycle. That console port was limited by hardware anyway. Giving it anything more will not enhance its quality in any manner. Unless, that game is specifically recoded for the PC.
I'd advise you to wait till the holiday season and then try playing some new games in the market. You may be surprised at what you get. :)

I personally borrowed a PS3 some time ago and connected to my 32" TV and played Uncharted. Although the graphical performance in general was lower than that of my PC, I felt that it was a far better graphical experience than playing a better graphics game on my PC withaa monitor.

Does anybody here play PC games on the TV, because I haven't tried that yet.

Try getting a 2560x 4megapixel display, and then working on a config that will play well at that res (or compare that to the toys that sell as consoles). Most systems today struggle to break 50fps with all effects and eyecandy using a single card less than a 6950. A crossfire 6970 is able to touch the 60fps barrier with Metro 2033, for example. At the more common 1920x, pretty much anything above a 6870 will get be able to handle a single monitor.

Which is why if you play at 1920x, no game will seem graphically demanding. At least use three eyefinity setup to understand where gaming is going today. A 22-24 inch monitor is not really state of the art.

I have never really owned a high end rig. All my upgrades have been mid-range ones, as that's what my pockets would allow me. I wouldn't be able to keep up with every new piece of hardware that would constantly keep releasing. That's what I have learned from PC gaming. Being is a PC elite is an expensive affair. I see people getting GTX580 in SLI's just before Crysis 2 would release, only to be treated with a glorious console port of the game. That's how things are right now. There are handful of games which are made for PC from ground up. I used to marvel at the amount of detail and fluid nature that PC games would posses. But now, I have learned to compromise, all thanks to consoles. I know a lot of people would b**ch about how console have dumbed down gaming...yada yada, but to me, it's just an expansion to my gaming experience. I get to play a wide variety of consoles exclusive titles and the multi-platform games, which would otherwise prove to be a pain for my PC to handle. I have learned to compromise on the lush details and frame rates that PC gaming would offer, but managed to gain stability and ease of gaming on consoles.

At times, I do feel the need to upgrade to a new graphic card, but then I start thinking of the remaining upgrades that would branch out because of this change. Then I drop the plan completely, say "F*ck it!" and go back to gaming on my 360 or the PS3. With my current rig, it can handle 1920x1080 resolution with most UE3 games, but as newer engines start coming up, it starts to face various challenges. So ultimately, my hardware will be rendered completely obsolete and will no longer be useful for 1080p gaming. At this point, I don't need a high end hardware, as I'm content gaming on the consoles and derive the same amount of fun that I would from PC gaming. It's like Bluffmaster said - it all boils down to one's personal preference. :)

i tried playing crysis warhead on my 42 inch tv full hd ,i dint really like it any better than on my monitor,but watching full hd movies on the tv is just way better,i recently went to the theaters to watch xmen first class i dint like the quality is was kind a pixlated .

I personally feel you only need a HIGH eng rig if your into playing MP games online. If not - get a decent medium end rig + console and enjoy.

-------------

Imagine this.

High End Rig = Atleast 60k

or

Medium Eng Rig = 40k

+

360/Ps3 = 20k

I'd personally go for the latter any second/minute/hour/day/week/fortnight/month/year/decade of my life.

kvikram said:
I personally borrowed a PS3 some time ago and connected to my 32" TV and played Uncharted. Although the graphical performance in general was lower than that of my PC, I felt that it was a far better graphical experience than playing a better graphics game on my PC withaa monitor.

Does anybody here play PC games on the TV, because I haven't tried that yet.

Uncharted 2 looks awesome. One of the best looking games I've played. The difference here is between Graphics and Aesthetics. A small differentiation needs to be made. This is a good video.

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Extra Credits : Graphics vs Aesthetics

Back