Linux Docker for office use on LINUX , But want to Common Folder access to other computers(windows) as well on the same server

Currently running windows server on my server for work.

We are in the process of moving to a different software which needs docker support.

Docker on Windows server is very cumbersome and some suggest to go for linux route for easy virtualization etc.

But currently there are various folders on the server (bad habit i know) , which are configured to be opened only by specific user/pc . I need some staffs to report / enter certain details regarding their work on excel/word documents ,which i or other staffs need to check upon. Currently i can easily able accomplish this on windows server by configuring user / permission.

Is there any good tutorial on permissions for linux , or what is the best route to get it done.

Some of the software which are currently being used off my server

1. Tally
2. Common files for to be used with MS office
3. Auto backup from certain pc to server

The new software person wants a linux or any system with docker installed. Should i (is it possible) to install a windows 10 on a server get docker up (easiest way) or should i install a linux os and configure.

Also suggest what is the best way to share folder/files on a lan so that others can also work /access the files at same time ?(like Google docs)

Docker on Windows server is very cumbersome and some suggest to go for linux route for easy virtualization etc.
can you give some examples? the only real issue with Docker on windows is the high ram consumption from my experience, and I have run full prod setups on it before
Also suggest what is the best way to share folder/files on a lan so that others can also work /access the files at same time ?(like Google docs)
would recommend you to pay for Google Enterprise if its something thats needed, what you are looking for is some kind version control on the files at a very basic level (its way more complicated than simple git), and its not just sharing files over lan specially if you are expecting multiple users will be modifying it at the same time,

@rsaeon Maybe proxmox can help but not sure.
tally ? I have given access to my accountant on another windows PC . The main installation is on server.
can you give some examples? the only real issue with Docker on windows is the high ram consumption from my experience, and I have run full prod setups on it before

would recommend you to pay for Google Enterprise if its something thats needed, what you are looking for is some kind version control on the files at a very basic level (its way more complicated than simple git), and its not just sharing files over lan specially if you are expecting multiple users will be modifying it at the same time,

I first tried on server 2019 , had bad experience , and then moved to server 2022. Still its not easy like installing on windows 10.
Still getting docker up and running is not easy (for me atleast). I keeps throwing one error after another. I activated WSL , etc etc. nothing. what many say is its not that efficient to run docker on win server, rather best to install it on linux os for better stability and performance , but there comes the issue of maintaining it.

tally ? I have given access to my accountant on another windows PC . The main installation is on server.
Not sure how telly works but proxmox is the recommended solution for virtualization & because you mentioned need for "easy virtualization" I suggested proxmox. Wait for more experienced members to post here regarding proxmox, I already tagged one such member.

I already running Unraid for my personal use at home.

I would be happy if i get better option since , server is always running , and its accessible from my home also . So i usually store some files on it for easy access from anywhere.

Also the current software needs windows for it work on lan pc. Even though it just uses the exe file across the pc , and stores all db in one access file. Even though the newer software uses mariadb and everything runs on docker , i would be happy if i can have the flexibility.

are you talking about this? https://tallysolutions.com/tally-prime-server/ if not, link the product you are using, from what I'm getting either you have given RDP access to the accountant or have tally running on the server and the accountant accesses it from their laptop/pc
I first tried on server 2019 , had bad experience , and then moved to server 2022. Still its not easy like installing on windows 10.
ah, I dont have any experience with Windows Server so cant help you there
Still getting docker up and running is not easy (for me atleast). I keeps throwing one error after another. I activated WSL , etc etc. nothing. what many say is its not that efficient to run docker on win server, rather best to install it on linux os for better stability and performance , but there comes the issue of maintaining it.
yeah, makes sense, for your usecase something like Proxmox is the best since you need a mix of windows and linux, if it were purely Linux, then the best way would have been to just host all applications on a linux installation itself without even bothering about VMs (assuming its a on-premises server) and just restrict user access.
As for folder/docs itself, Google Enterprise for you is the easiest way to manage that given that you dont have a dedicated sysadmin type on the job.

if you are set on having a linux only installation, then the best way would be to pay for Tally Server (the link I sent you) as Tally is the main blocker (no linux version), and if you want to have your current setup replicated, then you can kind of replicate it but windows has way better tooling for permissions etc

Can Linux handle Docker from within a VM on Windows server, will that be easier in this situation ?
Have seen docker images for file servers, haven't used one though.

Currently running windows server on my server for work.

We are in the process of moving to a different software which needs docker support.

But currently there are various folders on the server (bad habit i know) , which are configured to be opened only by specific user/pc . I need some staffs to report / enter certain details regarding their work on excel/word documents ,which i or other staffs need to check upon. Currently i can easily able accomplish this on windows server by configuring user / permission.

Is there any good tutorial on permissions for linux , or what is the best route to get it done.

Some of the software which are currently being used off my server

1. Tally
2. Common files for to be used with MS office
3. Auto backup from certain pc to server

The new software person wants a linux or any system with docker installed. Should i (is it possible) to install a windows 10 on a server get docker up (easiest way) or should i install a linux os and configure.

You are asking too many things.
Do you need a network access to shared folders? Then you need a dedicated NAS or a system running a NAS OS like unraid, OMV or truenas. Proprietary solutions are synology etc.
Apart from that you also want to run some software?

are you talking about this? https://tallysolutions.com/tally-prime-server/ if not, link the product you are using, from what I'm getting either you have given RDP access to the accountant or have tally running on the server and the accountant accesses it from their laptop/pc

ah, I dont have any experience with Windows Server so cant help you there

yeah, makes sense, for your usecase something like Proxmox is the best since you need a mix of windows and linux, if it were purely Linux, then the best way would have been to just host all applications on a linux installation itself without even bothering about VMs (assuming its a on-premises server) and just restrict user access.
As for folder/docs itself, Google Enterprise for you is the easiest way to manage that given that you dont have a dedicated sysadmin type on the job.

if you are set on having a linux only installation, then the best way would be to pay for Tally Server (the link I sent you) as Tally is the main blocker (no linux version), and if you want to have your current setup replicated, then you can kind of replicate it but windows has way better tooling for permissions etc
1. Yes. Accountant is accessing the tally which is installed on a different pc and he is logging in. I am unsure how it works , but at any given time only one user can log into tally on lan. Since i can give access to server to accountant , we have installed tally on a pc and he is accessing it.

2. Will try proxmox .. let me get to know about it. sounds interesting.

3. Cant afford it , since usage is very minimal. I am using google docs , but i want something local.

4. will look into it.

Back