Health & Fitness Does anyone here cycle?

bigquads

Market Restricted
Disciple
Hi folks, I'm planning to start cycling and debating between the following 3 models:

1. Btwin Triban RC 100 from decathlon - Road bike with a flat bad, not drop handles
2. Btwin Riverside 500 from decathlon - Hybrid
3. Firefox Roadrunner PRO D - Hybrid

While the road bike is super light at just 11kgs, the hybrid isn't too heavy at 14kgs (My old Hercules single speed tips the scales at a cool 18kgs). My riding will be on city roads (with some famous Mumbai potholes) , some on a nice straight stretch of highway during weekends. My worry is the road bike w/o suspension will be very uncomfortable on bad roads. Does anyone have experience with any of the above models or road bikes in general in Mumbai / bad roads in India?

Hey I'm from Mumbai and cycle too! I have a Chinese cycle with shocks and it does make quite a difference. Suggest you do the same unless you plan on cycling on the highways only.

Almost everyday from home to bus stop (unless it's not raining/ snowing) in an old cycle, found (and repaired) from my in-laws' garage.
Don't know the brand, but pretty heavy with THICK wheels.
Also have a very nice Superior bike- XF29.

As much as I want to cycle, the way people drive and the road conditions in Mumbai ks a sure no.
The concept of having a dedicated cycle lane was good, even though people with vehicles(2 wheelers) will just get into the lane to avoid the traffic. They don't even spare the footpath, let alone a lane.

I just have a Hercules Roadeo Blackbird (29") which I use for everything from mountain biking to exercise to occasional travel. Quite heavy (I estimate around 25kg) and a bit slow to accelerate, but I enjoy riding it and it has proven to be very reliable in the last 4 or 5 years - not a single issues, except for a burst front tyre tube which was my fault for mountain biking with too low of a tyre pressure lol. Also don't judge about choice of my cycle - I was still in school back then :p
Not really comfortable though, and wouldn't recommend for covering distances over 10km in one sitting - and this is with an aftermarket Btwin gel seat cover.
road bikes in general in Mumbai / bad roads in India?
My experience has been that cycling is quite a focused (in the enjoyable way) task thanks to our motorists and road conditions. That said, if you enjoy cycling, just grab whichever bike fulfills your needs and looks good. If possible, try them out for about 0.5km or so if possible to determine how comfortable they are. Unless you are into competitive cycling, not worth wasting time poring over every option available - and there are far too many, trust me. Whichever bike you pick, you will get used to its quirks in not much time. Good luck in finding your steed!

Last edited:
That said, if you enjoy cycling, just grab whichever bike fulfills your needs and looks good.
While I somewhat agree with you, I have had many friends who have decided to buy a cycle and initially skipped getting gears and/or shocks and soon after the purchase, felt they should have paid the extra bit and got gears/shocks. Sadly, a short 0.5km test ride may not help you realise it, its when you do a longer ride is when you will notice the difference. I personally feel Mumbai roads and speed breakers are pretty annoying and the little relief that shocks give you is beneficial.

Not to mention you can do a bit off roading. I have gone to Aarey colony and National park and then felt shocks really help.

Good luck!

While I somewhat agree with you, I have had many friends who have decided to buy a cycle and initially skipped getting gears and/or shocks and soon after the purchase, felt they should have paid the extra bit and got gears/shocks. Sadly, a short 0.5km test ride may not help you realise it, its when you do a longer ride is when you will notice the difference. I personally feel Mumbai roads and speed breakers are pretty annoying and the little relief that shocks give you is beneficial.
Oh agreed. I have a cycle with gears and front shock absorbers, and my assumption was that most decent cycles should have at least 6 gears. I would recommend a single speed one only if you have another cycle you can make use of.

I have a Schwinn hybrid that hasn't seen much use after I moved to my village. In the nice Chandigarh roads, it was manageable but never comfortable. One just gets uses to the discomfort/pain. I would still prefer a hybrid if the roads are good because it is the best compromise between speed and comfort. But for bad roads, get one with wider tyres. Whether shocks are needed or they make the bike too heavy to ride fast, that you can decide after a test ride. Lighter options will be available in MTB categories, but they won't be in the budget category.

Back