Linux does linux have compatibility issues with amd/ati, intel,nvidia

genuinethief

Disciple
i had issues in configuring

this one is older

ati radeon 9200 se agp 8x from gigabyte with 128 mb video ram .

every linux failed here , only windows xp, and vista succeeded

(vista made my machine look into insane number of loadings)

---------------------------------------------------------

this one is a new one

i plan to go for ubuntu 9/suse linux 11/mandriva(latest downloading)

my motherboard is

asus p5n73am,

with western digital hard disk 160 gb caviar blue

intel dual core

zebronics cobra cabinet powered with 450 watts smps

liteon moserbaer dvd writer

2gb ram

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ubuntu 8 had issues with my onboard nvidia issues

(compiz was conflicting with restricted drivers)

should i try or stay with the 4 coloured windows 7 which i am using till now

any upgrade recommended for linux ?

some news regarding my hardware

i blew my western digital harddisk

i am here using ubuntu 9.0 live dvd
(even the typing is done through linux at this instant)

it has 5 years warranty, i live in southern tamlnadu, can anyone help me reagarding pickup and delivery or western digital, make it a high priority case and give importance, i thank in advance .
i changed one of my cpu side cabinets fan by name zhanghou the possible issue could be it now

one fan has .7 v the
other 1.4 v
will it cause any more damage .

i lost my ups, yet to buy one recommend the best around 1500 rupees .

ubuntu is great and the os windows 7 has copied more from ubuntu, not a funny story use it and see for your self, an eg:-- the left desktop show button has been copied in windows 7 and shifted towards to the right

nice microsoft copycat team

older ATI products have issues. newer ones are quite fine.

The graphics works fine on my 690G board. even played max payne 1 & 2 on wine on them :p

genuinethief said:
i had issues in configuring

this one is older
ati radeon 9200 se agp 8x from gigabyte with 128 mb video ram .

every linux failed here , only windows xp, and vista succeeded
(vista made my machine look into insane number of loadings)
ubuntu 8 had issues with my onboard nvidia issues
(compiz was conflicting with restricted drivers)

should i try or stay with the 4 coloured windows 7 which i am using till now

any upgrade recommended for linux ?

How many distros did you try? There isn't (almost) anything which Linux doesn't support in these days! Download these drivers directly from the ATI website:

ATI Proprietary Linux x86_64 Display Driver 8.28.8 For Intel® EM64T and AMD64 Platform Architecture

First read this: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.28.8-inst.html

Or, you can use latest Kubuntu or OpenSUSE 11.2 (3 distros in one DVD, buy Linux For You, December 2009. 110/- magazine is cheaper than downloading 3 distros!). Or, wait for January 2010 issue for Fedora Core 12 DVD (if you are a Fedora fanatic!).

~linux

I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 I want to know about the performance and recognizability of ATi drivers for HD4850 by Ubuntu. Does it works OK out-of-the-box or some tweaking is needed? Is Envy be of any use?

^^The restricted driver manager should work for sorting out drivers issue. But I will suggest you o install the latest either from ATI run (Recommended , get it from ATI drivers site) or from PPA of ATI .

Things should work ootb except the 3d environment including Compiz and performance should lag in HD playback and games.

If the 3D environment lags then what's the point? Is there any fix for it?

I installed the restricted driver via the System Administration menu. After download finished, I rebooted and gwoop! No signal screen appears, Ubuntu drums playing in the background, shit's messed up again.

Under recovery console I did "sudo apy-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx". After the removal, I rebooted and pow, everything is gone FUBAR, selecting option to use default xorg config, nothing happened, create new config displays the message that new config has been created and needs reboot. After rebooting still nothing happens but I did get the option to boot in low-graphics mode and I did. I then downloaded the ATi's 9.11 driver for my HD4850. After downloading, I did "sh ati-x-x.gz.run" It runs and then displays an Untitled Window with no text, a button with no text and clicking on it, nothing happens, just installation is stopped.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/174/atiu.png

I've faced this problem numerous times and earlier either I skipped the distro altogether or the fixing xorg from recovery console did the trick but this time situation is much much worse.

I want ur help to fix it and after that I also want to know that how can i help Ubuntu folks by contributing to remove this problem? AFAIK the ATi and Ubuntu hate each other and I know many people are working to make peace between them, how can I join 'em and lend a helping hand?

I also tried Envy but it detects and shows 8.660-0ubuntu4 drivers as compatible and recommended whilst these are the ones that make my screen go haywire. Can I install the 9.11 drivers via Envy?

After messing around in lots of places, finally got it working but the drivers are the Restricted ones, not proprietary ATi 9.11 Now the issue is that my screen supports 1360x768 while in the resolution range of the Catalyst Control Centre, the resolution option of 1360x768 is not listed. Moreover selecting the resolution of 1280x768 shifts the screen to left and there is no option in CCC to adjust the screen. I can't do it manually either as the PC option of my LCD is greyed out even though it is running in PC mode. This problem can't be resolved either as from day 1 the PC option is greyed out so tell me how to fix it from inside the Ubuntu?

Ryunosuke said:
Can I install the 9.11 drivers via Envy?

Always remember to post your MOBO and LCD make just for clarity sake, looks like a bug in the Ubuntu distro to me:

Ubuntu Jaunty Installation Guide - cchtml.com

I don't use Ubuntu due to its GNOME, more with Kubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE etc. So, I recommend you to try those distros...

Ryunosuke said:
ATi 9.11 Now the issue is that my screen supports 1360x768 while in the resolution range of the Catalyst Control Centre, the resolution option of 1360x768 is not listed.

Read it with some free time and patience:

AMD Support Search

linux

I looked up both the links and the AMD Support is of no use, whilst the Ati's wiki covers installation issues. I on the other hand, have resolution issues. The problem is that the native resolution for my screen is not shown in the drop-down list of resolutions and the one closest to 1360x768, the 1280x768, is being used and causes the screen to shift left. Now unlike Window's CCC there is no soft-option in CCC itself to adjust the screen.

I want to know if there is any other method to do so or to force the resolution of 1360x768? Refresh Rate is 60Hz in all the cases.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT AND INTEREST IN LINUX i am happy to see so much linux lovers. i am downloading mandriva linux x 64 bit.

i have upgraded my 2gb ram with

another 2 gb slim one it is sp model i saw(almost half the size in height)

both are kingston.

Back