Dolby Digital Home Theater System Under 20,000

arghya139

Disciple
So I was trying to gift one sound system to me in my bday and still couldnt decide which to go with.
  1. Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906
  2. LG DH6320 5.1 Home Theatre System
  3. Philips HTD5550/94 Home theatre (Black)
My main purpose is watching movies and occasional gaming and I want to get a movie theater like Surround Sound experience.
My Room is 15 Feet X 20 Feet
Pls advise.

Check Home Theatre systems. I own Yamaha YHT 196 and it works great. HT systems would help you to connect to TV and PC.

Its going to be hit or miss with a PC and a home theatre considering your scenario. While movies will have Dolby or DTS sound which you will be able to bit stream to your home theatre via SPDIF coaxial or optical, games would always send uncompressed PCM stereo signal, meaning you wont get surround unless you use dolby prologic or such modes on your home theatre system. If you want surround on games, then you would be forced to use 3 stereo cables and using your onboard/dedicated sound card to send analog signals to your home theater. This will result in surround in games, but then you will not be able to bit stream DD or DTS on movies. You will get surround dont get me wrong, only it wont be digital. Only the logitech out of the three systems that you mentioned supports both analog and digital signals.
So if you want surround in gaming as well as movies, your only option is logitech system, connect your pc to the system with analog and digital and then keep changing the source in home theatre and windows control panel according to your scenario. Digital for movies and analog for games.
I have no experience with either of the three systems, but i believe that since logitech is made keeping in mind PC enthusiasts, it would bass heavy. The other two would ideally suite movies and music.
Other things to consider: Does your PC have SPDIF coaxial or optical - most motherboards have a internal header only
I would advice to save up a bit more and go for professional systems like yamaha onkyo marantz and denon. then you can directly connect your PC, gaming consoles and tv via HDMI and bet stream audio. Here also the digital vs analog dilemma will continue. But they will be more future proof then the options that you mentioned.
I personally use Yamaha YHT299 homtheater system to which my PC, raspberry PI and bluray player are connected

Its going to be hit or miss with a PC and a home theatre considering your scenario. While movies will have Dolby or DTS sound which you will be able to bit stream to your home theatre via SPDIF coaxial or optical, games would always send uncompressed PCM stereo signal, meaning you wont get surround unless you use dolby prologic or such modes on your home theatre system. If you want surround on games, then you would be forced to use 3 stereo cables and using your onboard/dedicated sound card to send analog signals to your home theater. This will result in surround in games, but then you will not be able to bit stream DD or DTS on movies. You will get surround dont get me wrong, only it wont be digital. Only the logitech out of the three systems that you mentioned supports both analog and digital signals.
So if you want surround in gaming as well as movies, your only option is logitech system, connect your pc to the system with analog and digital and then keep changing the source in home theatre and windows control panel according to your scenario. Digital for movies and analog for games.
I have no experience with either of the three systems, but i believe that since logitech is made keeping in mind PC enthusiasts, it would bass heavy. The other two would ideally suite movies and music.
Other things to consider: Does your PC have SPDIF coaxial or optical - most motherboards have a internal header only
I would advice to save up a bit more and go for professional systems like yamaha onkyo marantz and denon. then you can directly connect your PC, gaming consoles and tv via HDMI and bet stream audio. Here also the digital vs analog dilemma will continue. But they will be more future proof then the options that you mentioned.
I personally use Yamaha YHT299 homtheater system to which my PC, raspberry PI and bluray player are connected

I dont properly understand analog vs digital problem ?
Also my current speaker is connected via 3.5mm Jack, these systems need other jacks ?
About PC Sound, I dont use onboard Card, I have PCI Asus Xonar DG Sound Card in my PC
And gaming is not priority, movies are, cause my card R9 270x is not capable of running modern games :(

if gaming is not your priority, just check whether the home theatre you select has optical connection or not. connect your sound card and home theatre with a optical cable and select source as SPDIF in control panel. Which home theatre you will like entirely depends on your taste. I recommend first shortlist systems according to their features and who can accept optical signal. Then take a audition and judge the sound. Dont forget to take along your favourite tracks and movies for audition

You have a R9270x, this can bitstream sound to the HT Receiver. This will give you lossless sound quality depending on what you are playing.

Would Yamaha types HT systems be useful for movies with aac 5.1 audio
Yamaha cannot decode AAC 5.1. Your computer might convert it 2 channel PCM audio and then send it to the receiver. VLC, MPC, xbmc and openelec may be able to convert AAC 5.1 to DD 5.1 on the fly after necessary configuration

But I have Monitor Connected via HDMI
and even if I connect Gcard with HT, wont my Asus Xonar Dolby Sound Card be useless ?
No your sound card wont be useless. You have to select optical as your default sound device in control panel. Thus HDMI for video and sound card for audio.

it depends which home theatre you select and what inputs the home theater supports. If you go for a more professional series, like yamaha, onkyo, denon, marantz then this would be the ideal configuration
PC HDMI -> Home theater receiver -> TV/Monitor -- Sound card is unused in this scheme
Non ideal
PC HDMI -> TV/Monitor, and PC sound card optical out ->Home theater,
Non ideal is the only option if you decide to go with a home theater which does not support HDMI

For ideal, HT Should have HDMI Input and output as well, right ?
Also where I will get tutorials / videos to understand all about this ?
I used to consider myself tech savvy but all this AAC, SPDIF etc are way over my head

Back