Doom 4 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Doom 4 ?

carmack say that Doom4 (wht ever the subtitle will be) will be more like DOOM 2 and less like Doom 3..which means doom4 will be heavily lit and lots of crazy monsters instead of the dark and spooky world of doom3.

i hope they have a good storyline this time, not the repeat of the same old stuff...and better and a little brighter levels

i hope its completely different with exteriors as well...probably use space suits when shooting crazy aliens in outer environment....though i loved doom3...scariest game ever played...............

arnold said:
carmack say that Doom4 (wht ever the subtitle will be) will be more like DOOM 2 and less like Doom 3..which means doom4 will be heavily lit and lots of crazy monsters instead of the dark and spooky world of doom3.
atleast we don need to frighten every now and then when a enemy pops out....

Imagine what a kick in the teeth it would be if DOOM4 actually turned out to be a remake of DOOM2.

Novelist hired for 'Doom 4'

That was more than 15 years ago, and it seems series developer id Software is looking to grow the series at least a little beyond those simple roots. In an update to his personal Web site, British author Graham Joyce announced that he is now working on id's upcoming Doom 4.

Joyce is a decorated scribe, having four times won the British Fantasy Society's Award for Best Novel. Other famed authors to have claimed the annual award include Stephen King (who also won the honor four times) and Neil Gaiman. Joyce also won a World Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 2003, when his book The Facts of Life shared the designation with Patricia A. McKillip's Ombria in Shadow.

Joyce did not reveal any of his plans for the game in his blog post, saying only that he has "been hired to contribute to the storyline" of the game. A representative for id Software had not returned GameSpot's request for comment as of press time.
Novelist hired for 'Doom 4' | Tech News on ZDNet

Re: Novelist hired for 'Doom 4'

this is interesting. but im not sure what he can bring in to the storyline.

^The main dude who kills the aliens will now be a tortured soul, who doesn't want to kill them but does so because of a deep agony caused by the death of his best friend a decade ago. Something like that.

KingKrool said:
^The main dude who kills the aliens will now be a tortured soul, who doesn't want to kill them but does so because of a deep agony caused by the death of his best friend a decade ago. Something like that.
lol ! :eek:hyeah: But seriously it's a futile effort bringing in a novelist into a game which isn't known for its immaculate sense of story telling.

Finally, something from the devs after the CEO commented that the game would not be a reboot of the franchise in Quakecon 2010.

Eurogamer said:
"We have so many talented people, and as a company we've grown so much. But we've been able to keep them [the Doom 4 and Rage development teams] separate.

"With Rage we're concentrating on making our game as good as it can be. Those guys support us in whatever way they can. And we'll do the same for them."

Doom 4, due out simultaneously on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, was expected to show up at last year's QuakeCon. Explaining its no-show, id CEO Todd Hollenshead said the development team was not ready to demo the game. It is still without a release window.

Doom 4 is, according to comments made by Hollenshead in 2009, "not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either".

"Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those, and if I told you why, I would get my ass kicked when I got back. So I'll just have to leave it at that.

"It's very much deep in development. But everything I've seen on it is classic Doom, so I don't really have worries that people aren't going to like it and start talking about it," he said.

"They're [the Doom 4 team] going in their own direction," Hooper added. "They're doing something Doom fans will be happy with.

"I try to support them as much as possible. It's a good thing. We're separated enough to be able to go our own ways, but still connected where we can help facilitate both those directions.

"It is distinct enough. It would be dangerous... We don't want to make a re-skinned Doom [with Rage] and then Doom 4 be a re-skinned Rage. That would be bad.

"It's worked out really nicely where we have enough connection to take advantage of things like technology and talent, but enough separation to be able to go in a unique direction."

id's next game, post-apocalyptic shooter Rage, launches this September. Doom 3 released in 2004. Eurogamer turned up a 9/10 in our Doom 3 review.

Source: Doom fans "will be happy" with Doom 4 News - - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Expecting Todd Hollenshead to announce Doom 4 at this year's Quakecon.

To this day, I recall the SKOAR mag which featured Doom 3 and Unreal 2 with a headline on the cover page 'The return of the giants' or something. The mag also bundled a decent poster with Thomas Kelly and the Hell-Knight on the background.

PS: Hard core Doom franchise fan here. :p

Re: id on Doom 4 - “It’s going great. It’s awesome"

Add another Fan of the GREAT DOOM FRANCHISE:D.

My first Fps! DOOM!

i hope the devs take the dice's approach cuz doom 3 is primariluy a pc game so i hope its built on pc first and then ported over to the consoes

^ That's how iD software works.... so I don't have any doubt that unlike the whole crop of console ports, we will get potent game to exploit all the extra power available on PCs. The day iD software creates a game for console primarily and ports it back to PC will be the day I will lose faith in gaming. :)

Quakecon 2011 goes live today at Dallas, TX. Here's hoping Carmack might have something in store for us regarding Doom 4 - announcement, teaser trailer, anything.

The last Quakecon saw the trailer for Rage and the iOS version being demo'd by Carmack on the iP 4.

id on Doom 4 - “It’s going great. It’s awesome"

Ok! which developer has said that my game is gonna be dull and boring...

Finally, judgements are reserved until we get hands on....

Remember buying the 7600 gt in 2006 for the sole purpose of playing doom 3 which was the equivalent of Crysis back then in raping the GPU.Brings back creepy and happy memories at the same time.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back